1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by A mutterer, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Dctarget Geoff Shaw (53)

Didn’t realise he was that old. I assumed he was part of the 21 year old batch.

He’s not getting much bigger is he
  2. Zero_Cool Trevor Allan (34)

@Gutz

Daugunu is as good under the highball as any other winger. Koro might have some issues.
    But I do agree Campbell probably isn't yet to test stand -- and I'd tend to not actually have him in a test team, but on form he's been the best fullback. He's a bit too old, yet inexperienced, and a bit average to be starting his test career IMO.
  3. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

"I haven't watched him but I have strong opinions about him"..

Jock was the fullback of the competition, has been excellent in attack both in terms of his running play and offloading. His kicking from hand has been ok and he's had some issues with defence, mostly at wing.

I agree that he physically isn't up to playing the All Blacks in back-to-back weeks, but I think it's a crock of shit that people say there are "clearly" better options out there. None of them put their hand up week in week out and DHP has been injured for most of the season.

Banks is next in line but he's been bang on average and only TK has been a worse back for the Brumbies this season.
    RugbyReg, dru, Purce and 2 others like this.
  4. Derpus Simon Poidevin (60)

*dons blue tinted glasses* Maddocks should be ahead of Banks IMO
    Ignoto, Silverado and Rebels3 like this.
  5. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

Maddocks has probably played better than Banks but I fear if Maddocks played at 15 against the Darkness it'd be like Tahu's start against the Springboks.
    TSR likes this.
  6. sendit Alfred Walker (16)

Didn't say i haven't watched him at all and don't have a super strong opinion
  7. Joe Blow Ken Catchpole (46)

If DHP is injured then Reece Hodge may appear at 15 with MK and Daugunu on the wings.
    TSR, dru, Derpus and 1 other person like this.
  8. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

Re-read your post and be honest with how ridiculous it reads. You say you haven't watched him that much, that he makes mistakes and there's better options out there. Yet you don't post up who played better than Jock at fullback this season.

It just highlights how the coaches need to pick a mixture of inform and known potential who have delivered in the past.
    Purce, RugbyReg, TSR and 1 other person like this.
  9. Lyall Allen Oxlade (6)

I have to ask (in complete ignorance), how would Campbell go as a fly half?
  10. sendit Alfred Walker (16)

[MOD] Play the ball, not the man!

Yes from my viewing of him, he makes mistakes and isn’t good enough to warrant making that number of mistakes and still be selected - Seems like the Wallaby coaches agree in some part otherwise he’d be in the Wallabies squad..but he isn’t

I don’t need to have an in-depth analysis of a player to have an opinion
  11. wamberal David Codey (61)

Don't think he is nippy enough, if that makes sense. 10s have to be quick off the mark, very elusive when they run.
  12. Rugby Head Herbert Moran (7)

Such a shame he's heading over to France next year.
  13. Rebels3 Ken Catchpole (46)

My understanding is that it’s only a 1yr deal and will resume his Rebels contract after that. Depending on SRAU start time he will be available for the back end of the season and therefore Wallabies.
    Brumby Runner and TSR like this.
  14. fatprop David Wilson (68)

I think Swinton calmed down a bit and did the work (in between dumb tackles from being overly excited - I read somewhere he is a head butt walls type of motivated unit)

I do not think he is near test standard at the moment, but he gets up off the ground and does stuff hard

Dempsey? He has more special moments, I think his issue is the gaps in between
    TSR likes this.
  15. wamberal David Codey (61)

Getting up and back into it quickly is one of Eddie Jones' key metrics, apparently.
    fatprop likes this.
  16. Roberts Rugby Cyril Towers (30)

If
    If he can’t play fullback he’s got no chance of being a good flyhalf. He doesn’t have the game smarts IMO.
  17. RugbyReg George Smith (75)

you don't think he's a good fullback?
    Purce and Adam84 like this.
  18. Slim 293 George Gregan (70)

Campbell had a pretty good year, but as mentioned had some shockers out on the wing....

However, I'd say that Bank and DHP were more impressive during Super Rugby, and Maddocks had a number of standout weeks during Super Rugby Au.
  19. MarkJ Tom Lawton (22)

If the rest of the team is doing that can you carry one or two blokes who might not have a consistent effort across the whole game but can do something game breaking?
  20. Braveheart81 Rocky Elsom (76)

I can't imagine any coach/selector would look at those performances on the wing and completely ignore them because they were in a different position.
    Purce and Slim 293 like this.