1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by A mutterer, Oct 19, 2019.

1. Rugbynutter39 Mark Loane (55)

And his trajectory is heading in the right direction
  2. Up the Guts Paul McLean (56)

That’s at provincial level where smaller guys can still have a lot of impact (hookers like Horton are a good example). Those two are also exceptional players and I would say picked in spite of their size.
  3. Up the Guts Paul McLean (56)

Largely agree RE form, don’t think he suddenly jumps the queue because he’s brought into the squad as injury cover though.
  4. Brumby Runner John Eales (66)

BH, does Hanigan do any lineout calling at the Tahs. Can't say I've noticed if he has, but it would be minimal while ever Simmons is available, I would think.

Philip certainly called in the semi last weekend, and did a really good job. I reckon Rory Arnold also called a bit for the Brumbies - possibly more than Hanigan has at the Tahs.
  5. Brumby Runner John Eales (66)

ZC I reckon, tongue half in cheek, that JOC is the best No 15 for the Reds this year. It really seems to me that JOC is positioned in the fullback spot whenever the Reds are not in possession. He seems to take the large bulk of opposition kicks in general play and does most of the return kicking or running it back to set up the next plays. Jock has been almost invisible in those aspects of the Reds' play during SRAu.
    Roberts Rugby likes this.
  6. Brumby Runner John Eales (66)

Yeah, I agree while Tom has been returning from injury. If Tom reaches full fitness and plays to his best, it will be a toss up between him and Maddocks imo. I fully expect Maddocks to show better and more consistent form under the Wallabies coaching team. With both in form, we have no issues at the back.
  7. Kenny Powers Syd Malcolm (24)

Everyone but your fly half?
  8. Brumby Runner John Eales (66)

I would guess that it depends on how Rennie views Hodge. If Hodge is regarded to be a realistic option at 15, which I firmly believe to be his best position, then there is probably adequate cover at fullback already in the squad, which might allow a better selection to be made, eg, Kuridrani if he regains his test level form or Ramm if another early 20s player is preferred for development purposes. I personally don't see Jock making the cut.

EDIT : for the record, I give Campbell a lot of credit for his attacking play when he comes into the line for the Reds. Has scored some beauties and set up others. It is the way he seems to go missing when the Opposition has the ball, and some worry about his defense, that has me worry about his ability to perform at test level.
    dru likes this.
  9. KOB1987 Steve Williams (59)

^^^Ramm is already there BR.
  10. Brumby Runner John Eales (66)

TYhanks KOB - as he should be. I'm pretty sure that not all of the 20 yo who are of interest have been included in the squad. Or an older player like Muirhead has arguably shown better form over a longer period and could boost the outside backs cover.
  11. Roberts Rugby Cyril Towers (30)

I am particular about what skills a quality flyhalf and fullback should portray. NZ selectors have nailed it, with a fullback playing as the second playmaker and kicker. I don’t see anything in Campbell’s game inspiring to this level of rugby IQ. Just my opinion and possibly Rennie’s looking at his squad which I wouldn’t change one player he has selected.
  12. dru Simon Poidevin (60)

For me, I'd have Hodge at 15. DHP is rated highly, I get it, but he's not for me. I also get Maddocks being favoured after that, like the guy.

At the Reds though I wouldn't take any of them over Jock. Starting pro late isn't an issue I think. If he keeps going he's going to surprise people as we go forward.

But I'm not surprised he didn't make the 46 in 2020.
    TSR likes this.
  13. Hammeroid Herbert Moran (7)

If anyone is interested there are a few good coaching videos of Dave Rennie on youtube. Definitely a teacher of the game. Exciting times for the wallabies.
    The Nomad and Roberts Rugby like this.
  14. Roberts Rugby Cyril Towers (30)

Rennie is all quality and rugby in Australia will only get better having him involved. Let’s hope the usual knobs pull their heads in and let him teach us a thing or two.
    dru, wamberal and TSR like this.
  15. Penguin Colin Windon (37)

Indeed Muirhead is a better fullback than he is winger, just hasn't had that opportunity at the Brumbies. I'd be very happy to see him in gold.
    RebelYell likes this.
  16. Zero_Cool Trevor Allan (34)

Yeah, Hodge is an option -- I still think he needs a whole season at largely the same position before he can really begin his career the dude had 69 Super Caps o_O and 30 odd internationals and STILL has no true position. If he could get some continuity at one position he'd actually be able to learn how to play that position. *Sigh*

I'd say if Campbell can get into the squad he'd be good enough at training and we'd have enough games against weaker opposition to see him at least get a red hot go plus Rennie seams the type of coach to give a player an opportunity when it's viable (he doesn't shy away from selection dilemmas). Keep in mind we are apparently expecting a handful of Australia-A games, plus the Argies are kinda screwed, and South Africa might be sending a weaker squad than they normally would (if they come at all) and both have had very little game time. Also Campbell has been at least arguably the form fullback in the comp (sure when you only consider his time at 15).

Is now JO'C out Reece Hodging Reece 'anywhere but 9' Hodge?

But seriously where is all the controversy, we're all here arguing over who is the last bad fullback..

Where are the spicy XV's, the dramatic captain calls, and bold win predictions?!
    dru likes this.
  17. Roberts Rugby Cyril Towers (30)

Captain is most probably Hooper, Toomua, DHP or Liam Wright. Liam Wright is my pick.
    Purce and dru like this.
  18. Adam84 Ken Catchpole (46)

Well that’s simply not true BR, you only need to watch the highlights of Reds tries and you’ll see Jock positioned at, and running it back from fullback a number of times, including a cracking try against the Rebels only 2 weeks ago.

I agree JOC drops back often, but he drops back in the wingers slot, not as the fullback.
  19. dru Simon Poidevin (60)

HaHAHA!!!

Love your work RR (nil sarcasm). Hooper god help us. DHP really? So it comes to two. :eek:
    Roberts Rugby likes this.
  20. Up the Guts Paul McLean (56)

It’d be foolish to send Wright out against the ABs as captain with one bench cap. He might well be test captain in the future but the pragmatic thing to do is let him establish himself in the side first. It’s still up for debate whether or not he will be starting.
    Penguin, Rugby Head, Sully and 2 others like this.