• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
I'm not convinced of the merits of an independent review. We have a new CEO that has the chance to install her own people. We've known this was going to happen for years - all the review would need to tell you was that Cheika cooked Pulver in contract negotiations (if MC was as passionate about coaching the wobs as he claims, would he not have taken a 2 year deal with incentives or a longer deal with KPI clauses?) and we got stuck with a bad deal for 4 years.

How could you possibly expect Johnson to shoulder great blame in the outcome? He has been in the job for 10 months and was thrust into a situation with a coach that now admits to not being interested in working with or for a director of rugby or any co-selectors.

Cheika will be slid straight under the bus.

Cheika dived under the bus.

We shall see if Johnson has a passion for accountability, he is on the results side of the business.

Sooner they get on with it the better.

The CEO installing their own people is a valid argument, the issue is does Castle have enough knowledge to make that call? Didn’t show any of that at Bulldogs, also had plenty of friction with a coach used to running his own show in Hasler. They left the club in a diabolical position. Not a great form guide given what we have seen so far.

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
In addition they had an external review last year which was the reason Johnson and selection panel were implemented. I don't see the point of having an external review less than 12 months later.
I think doing an internal review of RWC performance is fine and something that should be done at end of every Rugby season. Johnson and Castle know from now they can't blame previous admin for the problems, Cheika was the last piece from the Pulver era so now the heat will be on them to deliver.

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
By previous admin are you suggesting only the CEO and coach/ DOR are making the calls ?

What is the board responsible for?

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
I am mostly referring to Castle and Johnson with those comments. As for the inner workings of the RA board I would have no idea what they do, probably similar to the cricket australia board (Which is travel around a lot and eat long lunches.)

There is some classic stories of the CA execs living it up. A classic tale is of 'Breakfast' Ben Amarfio (a bit off topic but funny none the less): Most mornings, in full view of his speechless colleagues at Jolimont, he had his secretary cook and serve him a hot breakfast in his glass-encased office. "Where's the Worcestershire sauce?!" he famously thundered. What else would you expect from Eddie McGuire's former sales director at Triple M's Hot Breakfast? (https://www.afr.com/rear-window/lam...lian-cricket-all-about-values-20180402-h0y882)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
There's an argument that the review was mainly done last season, and we worked out our ideal coaching structure/candidates.

Given the situation at the time it was agreed to transition over to that model where possible, before going full rebuild after the RWC.

Now in that review it seems they worked out Rennie was the man. Maybe because of his abilities, maybe because he fits the structure, maybe because he's all we can afford, maybe he's mates with Scott Johnson - who knows.

I'd certainly be a bit frustrated if they announced him before the end of the Cup, though. They have an obligation to do their due diligence and kick the tyres on Joseph, Schmidt, Cotter, Jones, hell even Rassie Erasmus. Why not?

The other thing to watch is the choice of assistant coaches. Scott Wisemantl is highly regarded, and I'd hope we're moving heaven and earth to get him back. Same goes for Matt Taylor.

So maybe we've got a plan we've carefully crafted over the last year which we're now able to enact. That's a generous way to view it. The less generous way is that we've gone from the Michael Cheika show to the Scott Johnson show - a bloke who has won even less than what Cheika has.

But if we announce Rennie/Wisemantl/Taylor then I can't say I'll be too disappointed. I'd wonder if we'd missed an opportunity though.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I think both Maddocks and Banks have surpassed the potential stage. Just needs a coach willing to use them in their most suited positions, and they'll be in the mix. In fact, I would say Banks should be vying with DHP for the No 15 spot.
Maddocks is in no way an international winger. Bang average in contact and that's key for a winger these days.

Banks got the early shot at fullback and also looked bang average. If those two are the future of our outside backs we may as well forfeit now.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Maddocks is in no way an international winger. Bang average in contact and that's key for a winger these days.

Banks got the early shot at fullback and also looked bang average. If those two are the future of our outside backs we may as well forfeit now.

Looking bang average for your first Test (against SA I might add) ain't a bad thing. To'omua was exactly the same on his first Tests and now he's a quality player.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Looking bang average for your first Test (against SA I might add) ain't a bad thing. To'omua was exactly the same on his first Tests and now he's a quality player.
Meh. If they aren't ready for test rugby they shouldn't be running on.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Meh. If they aren't ready for test rugby they shouldn't be running on.

What exactly is your definition of 'ready'?

You could easily argue Banks is more 'ready' then Beale - given all the mistakes Beale makes. If Banks performs better then the current option - he is ready.

Lost

Ted Fahey (11)
There's an argument that the review was mainly done last season, and we worked out our ideal coaching structure/candidates.

Given the situation at the time it was agreed to transition over to that model where possible, before going full rebuild after the RWC.

Now in that review it seems they worked out Rennie was the man. Maybe because of his abilities, maybe because he fits the structure, maybe because he's all we can afford, maybe he's mates with Scott Johnson - who knows.

I'd certainly be a bit frustrated if they announced him before the end of the Cup, though. They have an obligation to do their due diligence and kick the tyres on Joseph, Schmidt, Cotter, Jones, hell even Rassie Erasmus. Why not?

The other thing to watch is the choice of assistant coaches. Scott Wisemantl is highly regarded, and I'd hope we're moving heaven and earth to get him back. Same goes for Matt Taylor.

So maybe we've got a plan we've carefully crafted over the last year which we're now able to enact. That's a generous way to view it. The less generous way is that we've gone from the Michael Cheika show to the Scott Johnson show - a bloke who has won even less than what Cheika has.

But if we announce Rennie/Wisemantl/Taylor then I can't say I'll be too disappointed. I'd wonder if we'd missed an opportunity though.

I think this is spot on. Johnson has bounced around the world doing exactly what is front of him. To no upside for his employer save Scotland where he was well regarded. His Wikipedia page makes for sober reading. Luck Italy were in his focus or his 30% win ratio would be much lower.

Is this too far fetched

RA CEO needs to rid herself of a toxic relationship with a failing coach she cannot manage
A Whisperer proposes Johnson as an available party to interpose between CEO and Coach
Johnson accepts at light speed and suggests he has a well regarded coach as replacement for Cheika who will work under him and not rock the boat
RA CEO cannot agree quick enough, clueless Chairman rubber stamps
Commence window dressing exercise and continue shambolic management of legal dispute with highest paid player
Disappointing preparation for World Cup and disappointing exit from World Cup. Every thing running to expectation , massive concern after team flogs NZ in Perth but all is well when normal pattern returns next game
Coach withdraws, party organised
Johnson period commences, awaiting suitable mourning period to announce new coach who accepted job 6-12 months ago
Busily looking to announce 3 game series with Italy ASAP

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Listening to the most recent rugby ruckus, Turinui really, really rates Maddocks. But only at 15, he thinks he's our answer to fullback going forward and is wasted on the wing and not a flyhalf. He also thinks Banks needs to stay on the wing and a back three next year of 11. Koroibete 14. Banks 15. Maddocks would make him happy.

Sounds good in theory.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
What exactly is your definition of 'ready'?

You could easily argue Banks is more 'ready' then Beale - given all the mistakes Beale makes. If Banks performs better then the current option - he is ready.
Not being shit in your first appearance - see Petaia.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Not being shit in your first appearance - see Petaia.

Your kidding yourself if you think every new Test player is going to have a debut like Petaia. In comparison Banks debut was probably better then half the current wallabies debuts.

It's not exactly like he was a Jessie Mogg and way out of his depth.

Banks was far from shit.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Listening to the most recent rugby ruckus, Turinui really, really rates Maddocks. But only at 15, he thinks he's our answer to fullback going forward and is wasted on the wing and not a flyhalf. He also thinks Banks needs to stay on the wing and a back three next year of 11. Koroibete 14. Banks 15. Maddocks would make him happy.

Sounds good in theory.

Banks is a terrible wing in my opinion. His biggest attributes are his boot, safe hands in the high ball, running the ball back at pace, injecting himself in the line (love running a good angle for an inside ball).

His finishing ability, footwork/beating a man 1 v 1 are some-what lacking IMO. He is solid and safe fullback option but lacks the finishing abilities to be great on the wing - and not mention his horrible defence on the wing. He's a solid defender at FB though.

I do like the idea of Maddocks at FB though.