• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
I think every starting australian fly-half will be considered as a strong option in 2020, and for the June series at least partnerships and combinations with other starting backs will weigh heavily. Perhaps less so for the Rugby Championship

But the scary thing is that it's not clear who the starting flyhalf for each team is! Could be any of the following;

Tahs - Mason, Harrison, Beale
Reds - Hegarty, Lucas, Stewart, JOC (James O'Connor)
Rebs - To'omua, Deegan
Brumbies - Pasitoa, Lolesio, Kuenzle

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I dunno.

In one way it is scary, in another it’ll hopefully be a breath of fresh air. I’m not sure any of the young guys on your list are ready to take the mantle this year, but I look forward to them having a crack at it. IMO it is definitely the most promising group of young talent we’ve had at 10 for a long time and we seem to have done a lot of work on our coaching/support pathways to help them come through. Even if one of them doesn’t assume the throne this year they will soon enough. Personally I am confident Lucas, Harrison and Pasitoa are capable of being test players in the next 2 — 3 years and that’s not to discredit the claims of any of the others.

I look forward to watching them duke it out.

Edit: also, it is worth adding Carter Gordon to the list above. Not sure if he will or should feature at all in this years super rugby but, from everything I’ve read and seen on him he is a very good prospect with a game style suited to test rugby.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
But the scary thing is that it's not clear who the starting flyhalf for each team is! Could be any of the following;

Tahs - Mason, Harrison, Beale
Reds - Hegarty, Lucas, Stewart, JOC (James O'Connor)
Rebs - To'omua, Deegan
Brumbies - Pasitoa, Lolesio, Kuenzle
To'omua will most likely be the 10 for next season and maybe the season after, but I’m looking at Harrison and Pasitoa to be the most likely to play 10 come 2023 out of that bunch. The majority of the others look like 12s and 15s looked at as a 10 because of a lack of options.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I've said before I think Hegarty would do a good job in the 10 jersey for the Wallabies, in the same way Nathan Spooner did as a fill in for the injured Larkham back in the day. I don't think he's the long term solution but think he wouldn't let the team down. Trouble is, but all reports, Lucas will at least start the season in the 10 jersey.

He's got to produce at Super level, but Deegan has the all round game that makes him the leading candidate for mine. Contrary to the statement above by Tattsy, he has the best kicking game in the country. Off boot and tee. Again, its just whether he starts above To'omua.

eastman

Arch Winning (36)
I've said before I think Hegarty would do a good job in the 10 jersey for the Wallabies, in the same way Nathan Spooner did as a fill in for the injured Larkham back in the day. I don't think he's the long term solution but think he wouldn't let the team down. Trouble is, but all reports, Lucas will at least start the season in the 10 jersey.

He's got to produce at Super level, but Deegan has the all round game that makes him the leading candidate for mine. Contrary to the statement above by Tattsy, he has the best kicking game in the country. Off boot and tee. Again, its just whether he starts above To'omua.

I think we need to be in an emergency situation- before Hegarty gets considered as a starting flyhalf proposition- let's hope it doesn't get to that stage.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
I think we need to be in an emergency situation- before Hegarty gets considered as a starting flyhalf proposition- let's hope it doesn't get to that stage.

Who are the alternatives though?

Tooomua - Serviceable and probably the ‘safest’ option
Beale - thats a 50/50 proposition, better off at 15
Deegan - Looks promising, but has never played Super Rugby let alone Test Rugby
Harrison - Like above
Kuenzle - Like above
Lucas - Like above, has played Super Rugby but not at 5/8..

I know people are quick to criticise the option of Hegarty, but at this stage given the alternatives he is right in the race to be considered. He wont be a long term option, but i can see him been considered for the 2020 season.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think rugby in Australia needs to move on from Quade and Bernard, just as GAGR needs to move on as well. I don't relish the argument of Quade v Foley starting up all over again.

I'm with Reg. I reckon Deegan is the best prospect for the 10 spot next year or two, but it will depend a lot on where and when he plays for the Rebels. Long term, I think Harrison will emerge as the front runner for RWC 23.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I know people are quick to criticise the option of Hegarty, but at this stage given the alternatives he is right in the race to be considered. He wont be a long term option, but i can see him been considered for the 2020 season.

I agree. If he starts the season at 10 for the Reds and plays well he is every chance of playing for the Wallabies.

I think the race is wide open for the 10 jersey with no incumbent and a new coach. Hegarty has no less chance than anyone else.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
It is unfortunate that probably the best young 10 we could have will stay in England following a different path (Louis Lynagh)

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
It is unfortunate that probably the best young 10 we could have will stay in England following a different path (Louis Lynagh)
Is he any good or is it just his name?

Also, wasnt he raised in England? I cant imagine an Aussie raised lad would actively choose to play for England.

B

Bobby Sands

Is he any good or is it just his name?

Also, wasnt he raised in England? I cant imagine an Aussie raised lad would actively choose to play for England.

He's a 15 and he's a gun.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
Though I used to see Noddy a fair bit down at the Athletic Ground, as my son played for Scottish I never saw his boy playing for Richmond. I just looked at some footage, looks good, he definitely has the right genes!

Would love to see another Lynagh @ the 'moore!

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

I could get onboard with Hegarty for a couple of tests if needed. Given To'omua’s injury issues the past couple of years, you never know