• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies 2020

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Our performances would indicate that we ran out of legs pretty regularly. Plenty of times we'd be within a try at the 50-60 minute mark, before falling away and getting trounced.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Rennie was asked about what is needed to change for the Wallabies to beat the All Blacks and win back the Bledisloe, he really focussed on the conditioning of the players. In fact that seemed to be an subject mentioned a number of times during the interview.
Cheika constantly stated the players are not up to standard physically.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Cheika constantly stated the players are not up to standard physically.

Problem was, in part, that The game plan required a level of fitness to cope that probably didn’t exist.

Also anyone remember Cheika retort to Link re Skeltons fitness? Change his tune once in the seat.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Problem was, in part, that The game plan required a level of fitness to cope that probably didn’t exist.

Also anyone remember Cheika retort to Link re Skeltons fitness? Change his tune once in the seat.

So should Rennie be opting for a game plan that requires less fitness because demanding the players need to be fitter is inappropriate?

Also unsure when Cheika highlighted one specific player as not being fit enough.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
So should Rennie be opting for a game plan that requires less fitness because demanding the players need to be fitter is inappropriate?

Also unsure when Cheika highlighted one specific player as not being fit enough.

I don’t think that’s what he was saying.

If the players aren’t fit enough don’t lower the standards, but at the same time dont use a game plan which is beyond their ability at that time. One would expect that over the course of the season he can improve their conditioning to the standard he expects of them.

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)

I’d expect that no one could quite match Cheika barn dance as well as Cheika even if they wanted to attempt it. I’m hoping that Rennie holds to more conventional positioning with fewer swaps from D to A and in different positionS on the field. I’d also be hopeful that this will reduce the “wearing out during the game” factor - a result of a lot of that under Cheika. It wasn’t a criticism of Rennie.

Rennie is clearly saying you need to outlast the ABs, works for me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I don’t think that’s what he was saying.

If the players aren’t fit enough don’t lower the standards, but at the same time dont use a game plan which is beyond their ability at that time. One would expect that over the course of the season he can improve their conditioning to the standard he expects of them.

The Cheika game plan was crap and I'm also not sure it would have improved if the players were fitter.

I guess the question for me is whether our players look as fit as the All Blacks or Springboks. I think particularly in relation to the Springboks we were well short of their conditioning.

Derpus' point seemed pretty apt to me. We've heard for a number of years from Cheika that he thought the players needed to be fitter and the new coach has come in and basically the first thing he's said is that the players need to be fitter. Seems like regardless of game plan, our coaches think our players as a group aren't up to the level of fitness required.

The All Blacks in general have better players than we do. I think it's reasonable to think we have to be fitter than they are to be able to beat them regularly.

A big issue for the Wallabies coach is they don't really have much opportunity themselves to do serious fitness (outside of a RWC year when you get long camps with no games). By the time the players gather in camp in a normal year you're pretty much straight into prep for a test match.

You really need the players to be at a high level of fitness before the season starts as the more the season wears on the more you're managing injuries and workloads and less able to hammer the fitness.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m not sure it is specifically fitness, or solely that anyway. There is an element of player management as well. If a Super coach wants the best games of the year from his players to be in Super games, it’s not going to be the best prep for internationals.

Also I don’t read Cheikas thought on player fitness as germane as a) he had a different view as a Super coach and b) was creating part of it himself.

Nick reviewed it well: https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/24/its-time-for-the-wallabies-to-stop-the-music-on-defence/

If we were simply talking Rennie and his requirements then all good. I just don’t buy Cheika as an authority worth considering on the issue.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)

About Fainga'a:
He needs to get his rig in order, he needs to get fitter, shed a few kgs.
“I’m sorry to say it on TV mate but you need to get into it and get fit because the guy is a quality player.
“He can play.”

Cheika has previously complained that Super Rugby teams were not whipping players into the shape necessary for the demands for Test rugby.

Also called out Latu in 2017. Not major..but yes he did highlight specific players.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I’m not sure it is specifically fitness, or solely that anyway. There is an element of player management as well. If a Super coach wants the best games of the year from his players to be in Super games, it’s not going to be the best prep for internationals.

Also I don’t read Cheikas thought on player fitness as germane as a) he had a different view as a Super coach and b) was creating part of it himself.

Nick reviewed it well: https://www.theroar.com.au/2018/10/24/its-time-for-the-wallabies-to-stop-the-music-on-defence/

If we were simply talking Rennie and his requirements then all good. I just don’t buy Cheika as an authority worth considering on the issue.

I think the Super Rugby coaches certainly know that the level of fitness players have at the start of the season is hard to change substantially as the season goes on because there isn't time in the training schedule and you're limited in how much work you can put a player through each week whilst preparing for a game.

Look at Cheika's comments in 2014 on Skelton. McKenzie had picked Skelton for a couple of Bledisloe tests and then dropped him for a tour saying he wasn't fit enough. Cheika took issue with singling out one player's fitness and that the player had spent the last three weeks in camp and playing tests before being told their fitness wasn't up to scratch.

The Wallabies were no longer doing what Bishop highlighted in 2018 yet the observation and comments in 2019 were still that fitness wasn't up to scratch.

Anyway, this seems a bit pointless. Apparently saying the players needed to be fitter in the last few years was unreasonable and the players were fit enough but the new coach repeating the same mantra this year is fine and the players should get fitter.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
About Fainga'a:
He needs to get his rig in order, he needs to get fitter, shed a few kgs.
“I’m sorry to say it on TV mate but you need to get into it and get fit because the guy is a quality player.
“He can play.”

Cheika has previously complained that Super Rugby teams were not whipping players into the shape necessary for the demands for Test rugby.

Also called out Latu in 2017. Not major..but yes he did highlight specific players.

Fair. I remember both of those.

Calling out those players personally was unnecessary and if their Super Rugby coach wanted to take umbrage with it and defend their player then that would be justified.

Let's hope our players start heeding the advice and really do some extra work on their conditioning. A big part of our problem is that we don't have the depth to be able to leave out some players because their fitness isn't there because they are still better than the next option even if that player is substantially fitter.

molman

Peter Johnson (47)
I think it was generally recognised that fitness hadn't been up to scratch at the Super Rugby clubs for awhile and was one of the areas of focus during Cheika's time with the increased sharing of S&C data between the Wallabies and Super Rugby Franchises being implemented.

If you look at a lot of the successful modern defence systems with their rush/blitz defence nature, they are so dependent on a high level of fitness. Eddie is is renowned for flogging his English players to get them to the level he desires with many commenting that playing a game was easier than his training sessions.

Finsbury Girl

Trevor Allan (34)
We'll soon see if this is backed up or lip service.

"But the message we will be giving everyone is you have got to earn the right to play so we will be picking guys based on Super Rugby form."

molman

Peter Johnson (47)

"Anyone who is overseas is going to have to commit back to Australia long-term as opposed to plucking them out because they have played x amount of Tests,” Rennie said.
"There are a couple of other guys on the radar that I won’t mention now who are keen to get back here.
"But for us to have control of their development and conditioning and so on, they really have to be back here.

https://www.rugby.com.au/news/2020/01/23/rennie-fitness-wallabies
I'd be curious who these players that are keen to come back are.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
skelton obvious one....others would be McMahon, kerevi, Arnold (ta BR)….

Can't think of any other test quality players who would be candidates playing overseas to target getting back.