• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Jerseys Going Cheap

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
I just picked up 4 t-shirts, 4 polos and the alternate WC jersey at www.worldrugbyshop.com for US$380 including shipping. I live in the US though. Still a good deal. I googled "world rugby shop discount coupon" and found a coupon giving me 10% off which saved me $40. The code said it was for members of USA Rugby (which I'm not) and it worked fine. Good luck.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
No mate, its not Adidas. I thought it was Adidas also... due to the three stripes but after a bit of research, I realised it wasn't Adidas but Classic Sportswear, with 3 stripes not 2. The pictures on this link were a bit misleading so I thought for a moment it was 2 stripes but it's clearly 3. Scroll down to the Mark Ella 1984 jersey. No Adidas I'm afraid.

http://www.rugbyrelics.com/museum/partners/Partners.htm

Adidas did make that 1984 Jersey. The pics at the top show 2 different jerseys - the back view is an Adidas one, the 2 front view pics are Peerless. Pre 1990 there weren't really official licensed jerseys. The ARU wallaby logo didnt appear till 1996 before that (1990 or so) it was an oblong aru badge right chest and coat of arms left chest and many companies just made a Gold shirt with the coat of arms as a "wallaby" rugby jersey. The one thing to remember when buying NON-Official jersys is that NO royalty goes to the ARU. Effectively the manufacturer is using Wallaby IP without paying for it. - ie-Cheating the Wobs & the ARU out of $$$-thousands

S

Skippy

You've lost me mate. I'm not seeing the back view of the number 10 jersey as being Adidas... it's clearly the same jersey as the front facing jersey that is a peerless jersey as Slim pointed out. The pics are of a jersey hanging up in the Webb Ellis pub/museum. The jersey was donated by Mark Ella from the 84 grand slam.

I don't get where your coming from by saying the front view and rear view are from different jerseys. It's clearly the same jersey by virtue of the fact the museum would not put up a picture of a jersey (rear view only) that they don't have hanging up in their museum. That would be misleading. And they have no reason to take a photo of an Adidas jersey and pass it off as the rear view of the Peerless jersey because they could simply turn over the Peerless jersey and photograph it, which is what they've done, in order to present a view of the rear of the jersey.

Like I said, I for some reason had Adidas in the back of my mind as being the makers of the 84 jersey because of the 3 stripes thing... but clearly I was mistaken and finally conluded it was Peerless. I think your clutching at straws. In truth the likelihood of Adidas being in the rugby jersey game way back in the early 80's is limited.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Skippy - You are right, It does seem to be the same jersey. Peerless may have been a manufacturer for Adidas in OZ back then, much the same as LWR was for Adidas in NZ. Certainly the 3 stripes has always been an Adidas thing and these days is one of their legal trademarks.
Maybe back then Adidas hadnt got their act together to protect 3 stripes as a trademark?? hence peerless could use it.

S

Skippy

I think your probably right. I don't even think Peerless exist anymore... a quick google search didn't find them.

It's a bit confusing because I swear I saw a reproduction in the Adidas store in London a few years ago.

I still think the 3 stripes is the best jersey we've ever had, along with the 91 jersey. Perhaps not for players in the modern game who need it skin tight but it makes for the best casual supporters jersey. I think the 3 stripes thing back in the day flowed into other sports also. I don't know why but I recall the Hockey boys/girls use to wear something with a 3 stripes design also.

grievous

Charlie Fox (21)
Peerless ripped off the replicas, it was definately Addidas on the field. I wish the ARU would have some sort of feature on designs over the years on their website

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Peerless ripped off the replicas, it was definately Addidas on the field. I wish the ARU would have some sort of feature on designs over the years on their website

I believe they would but I think they're still too embarrassed over their Reebok jersey.

S

Skippy

Yeah I'm not sure to be honest. But I think this threads been flogged to death.

I initially thought Adidas also due to the 3 stripes thing but I can't find a photo anywhere on google image with a 84-86 old school jersey showing an Adidas logo. I'd find it hard to believe that Adidas would produce a jersey without an Adidas logo on the chest.

And then I found the Mark Ella museum piece which is clearly Peerless.

Did Peerless copy the original Adidas jersey? - well aside from being unable to find any picture of an Adidas Wallaby jersey, I'd find it hard to believe Wallabies on the grand slam would be playing in peerless copies of an Adidas original. There is no way Peerless would have gotten away with copying an Adidas jersey and selling it as a knock off copy... for starters this would be illegal.

Did Peerless make a replica copy of the original Adidas jersey? - well I doubt this also. There would be all sorts of logo/trademark and copyright laws involved I would imagine as the Adidas 3 stripes is a registered trademark. Likewise, the use of Commonwealth Coat of Arms is a trademark and anyone who copies/ produces a product with a coat of arms faces all sorts of legal requirements etc and/or legal action.

Here's what I think happened. I can't find any evidence to support Adidas as being the kit supplier. Every photo I find on google image of players is devoid of any Adidas logo on jerseys or shorts.

I'm pretty sure Adidas didn't really get into rugby jersey production till the 90's and have always been mainly soccer orientated. I would find it hard to beleive in the 1980s in an amateur era the ARU would have sourced and contacted Adidas to make Wallaby jerseys... especially given Adidas had no presence in Australia and were largely European and Sth American based and focussed on soccer.

This leads me to beleive in the amateur era they would have used a local Australian company and Peerless got the job.

I think we all assumed it was Adidas because of the 3 stripes. I reckon it was Peerless (an Aussie company) who made this jersey and perhaps Peerless knocked off the 3 stripes from Adidas.

Perhaps one of the reason this jersey was changed and the stripes dropped around 87 or 88 was that Adidas probably took legal action against Peerless or threatened them with such and thus Peerless dropped the 3 stripes, and the Wallabies chose a different design.

Like I said, I thought Adidas also... but there's nothing to support that claim and to much evidence to suggest otherwise. The Ella museum jersey alone proves there was no Adidas jersey...

S

Skippy

I can't work it out!!!

Cheers for that photo. That seems to indicate Adidas was the supplier of the kit... but it doesn't explain why a test jersey in the Webb Ellis museum is made by Peerless!

Perhaps one reason why no Adidas logo on test match jersey but it is on training tracksuit would be because back in 84-87 in the amatuer era you were not allowed any sponsors logo on playing jerseys/shorts???

That would explain that it was Adidas jersey and shorts but they were not allowed to have a Adidas logo on display. But then again... why would Mark Ella donate from a test match on the grand slam to the museum a jersey made by Peerless!! AAARRGGHHH..... it just don't make any sense!!

I'm going to go with this theory... Adidas gave Peerless the rights to make the jerseys on their behalf almost like an 'agent'. This was done because Adidas didn't have a factory/warehouse in Australia at the time possibly so they sub contracted the job out to Peerless. This is why Peerless was allowed to use the 3 stripes trademark/logo.... because they were doing the job on behalf of Adidas.

Adidas only put their logo on training kit and not on match day jerseys/shorts as sponsors logo's were not permitted in the amateur era. Adidas using Peerless suited the Wallabies because it enabled them to have a local Australian based supplier with therefore less production delays and delivery from Adidas overseas. I reckon that just about sums it up.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Skippy - I think you are on the right track. In terms of Jersey Logos: Manufacturers / Brand logos started to appear on Rugby Jerseys from early - mid 80's. Sponsor logos however did not until the early 90's for most countries.

I dont think Adidas couldn't make rugby jerseys locally so they contracted Peerless to do so. Peerless put their labels on because it was only in the back neck and effectively wouldn't be seen as "branding" - That was not unusal for Australasia market as tariffs/ duties etc meant it was cheaper for overseas brands to use local production. Here in NZ back in the 80's & early 90s LWR/CCC made Adidas as they held the license for NZ. They also made other brands - eg Speedo Jockey.

Tracksuits however - Adidas did make by the truck load - (remember that stretchy Nylon fabric) - It is pretty straight forward to embroider or sew on a badge onto premade garments.

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
After seeing this thread last Tuesday (28 June) I went to the ProDirect website and ordered 3 jerseys. When I got home from work on Monday night there was a card in my letterbox from the courier company saying that they'd tried to deliver a parcel at 0830. I organised yesterday to have the parcel delivered to work and I've got the jerseys this morning. It took under 6 days from placing the order for the jerseys to be delivered. Great work ProDirect! :thumb:

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
So did you get the £29.99 Jersey? - The same ones going for AUD$170 on the ARU site and 180 on Kooga.com.au !!

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
So did you get the £29.99 Jersey? - The same ones going for AUD$170 on the ARU site and 180 on Kooga.com.au !!

I got the Wallabies RWC jersey, the Canada RWC jersey (they're my second team) and a Stade Francais away jersey. The 3 jerseys plus postage was just under $200.

Gingerbeer

Peter Burge (5)
What's the quality like? It just makes me worry when I see that they're selling a 2011 Reds Super XV Home Jersey which is actually last years. Makes me doubt that they're selling legit stuff but hopefully it's just their clearing the 2010 Reds home jerseys by saying they're this years (which is dodgy but preferable to knock-offs).

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
What's the quality like? It just makes me worry when I see that they're selling a 2011 Reds Super XV Home Jersey which is actually last years. Makes me doubt that they're selling legit stuff but hopefully it's just their clearing the 2010 Reds home jerseys by saying they're this years (which is dodgy but preferable to knock-offs).

They are the genuine product. The Wallabies and Canadian RWC jerseys came in their KooGa packets and have the official licensed product tags from the ARU, Rugby Canada and the RWC. The Stade Francais jersey was in its Adidas packet.

Apostle

Peter Burge (5)
I ordered a brand spanking new Wallabies jersey this morning from the site in the original post (hurrah for the world cup ones not having sponsorship plastered all over them).

However, I just received a message from my bank - they detected some kind of skimming fraud operating on my credit card. The only time I've used that card in the last month has been buying that wallabies jersey. It is probably just a coincidence, and has nothing to do with the site, but I thought you guys might like to know - to be safe, if you've purchased from the site, it might be worth keeping an eye on your accounts!

rugbyskier

Ted Thorn (20)
No problems with my Amex card. After reading your post Apostle I checked my online statement, the charge from Pro-Direct was there and the only other charges were the usual petrol purchases for my weekly commute to Thredbo.

What computer did you use? You may have a Trojan keylogger on it.

T

Thomas

Just ordered a Wallaby WC jersey and a Reds "2011" jersey $140 including postage and handling compared to $340, great deal!

Status
Not open for further replies.