• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
A fit Shepherd is the obvious choice, that guy has the ability to be do everything well

My preference would be

Blindside Winger - Digby, Cummins, McCabe
Openside Winger - Shepherd, Turner, Mitchell

So a backline of

15 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Shepherd
13 Horne
12 Barnes
11 Shepherd
10 Cooper
9 Genia

for me

Shepherd on both wings! Haha, that's a whole heap of pressure for one bloke.

Seriously though the concept of Blind and Open wing doesn't exist anymore, replaced with the concept of the roaming winger.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Shepherd on both wings! Haha, that's a whole heap of pressure for one bloke.

Seriously though the concept of Blind and Open wing doesn't exist anymore, replaced with the concept of the roaming winger.

I'd go even further, and say that teams usually choose a Wing/Centre and a Wing/Fullback (aka Cingre and Wingback).

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To me it is about balance (they are just descriptors), you want at least one winger who is a second 15 and the other to be more of a crash baller/runner/explosive.

Digby is effective off the blind on the inside ball, another winger who kicks well and is safe under the high ball allows the 15 to play further behind the ruck

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
To me it is about balance (they are just descriptors), you want at least one winger who is a second 15 and the other to be more of a crash baller/runner/explosive.

Digby is effective off the blind on the inside ball, another winger who kicks well and is safe under the high ball allows the 15 to play further behind the ruck

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Kicking is questionable. Turner ticks these boxes but it doesn't look like he's even close to being picked.

I definetly agree with this point though. It's important, especially against sides like the Springboks who are punishing with their tactical kicking game, that the kicking defense responsibilities are not simply piled on the 15.

Look at the tape Gagger made about the Wobs vs ABs in Sydney, and while the Aussies tactical kicking was pretty poor, there was always two or all of the back three defending the kicks. At this point in time, I would be happy to see the Wallabies copy what the winning sides are doing if it means winning games.

[video=youtube;yuAxGoXehqg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yuAxGoXehqg[/video]

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I'd go even further, and say that teams usually choose a Wing/Centre and a Wing/Fullback (aka Cingre and Wingback).

I absolutely agree but I have never heard that vernacular before. Is it commonly used or a DPK intention?

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Of course not, although feel free to use it. I've gone mad after naming McCaw's invented position from the Auckland test the Flanker/Prop "Flop".

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)? Kicking is questionable. Turner ticks these boxes but it doesn't look like he's even close to being picked.

Turner struggles to beat defenders one on one, plenty of gas, now a great defender, works his arse off - off the ball,

but Turner/try line/ one defender and he isn't the most likely to score.

T

tranquility

With both Hynes and Digby hurt who would be my first choice wingers. I would have no problem playing Sheperd and McCabe on the wings although I concede that Mitchell will probably get one. I would prefer either of these three ahead of Turner or Cummins at this stage.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
FP,

You wouldn't rather see Shepherd at fullback? If he proves to be fit, and when Digby comes back I'd like to see:

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Fa'ainga or Horne
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Mitchell
15 Shepherd

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
FP,

You wouldn't rather see Shepherd at fullback? If he proves to be fit, and when Digby comes back I'd like to see:

9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Fa'ainga or Horne
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Mitchell
15 Shepherd

be happy with him at 15 (and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13), but 12 will be either Barnes or Gits.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
That video reminds me how bad Hynes is... I know he had a good s14 but we need more than 'solid'...

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
yeah he blew a couple chances didn't he.... that vid was nauseating with the exception of a few moments.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
At least we can say that JOC (James O'Connor) has improved since that video, but I'm not so sure the same can be said for Hynes and definitely not for Giteau.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Really? I thought Hynes has just come off his best Super 14 season ever?

he may have, but I wouldn't consider him our answer for the fullback spot. Like the women say he may not be Mr Right, he may just be Mr Right Now. Happy for him to play the part now, but I reckon he's a way off the level I'd like our starting World Cup fullback to be. For me, that's a fit Cam Shepherd or a more mature James O'Connor.

Status
Not open for further replies.