• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Tri Nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
RugbyReg, you are a superb observer of the game, far better than me, but I ask this: why do we never consider that perhaps Gits is just, at a deeper level, psychologically fatigued with the game and is being drained and negatively affected by that?

He's been playing for Aus since 2002, he's had a large variety of coaches, he's had to glue together some mediocre Wallabies on more than one occasion, from a young age he's been on and off various grand pedestals with all the complex pressures and expectations (and then fears of not being there any more) that creates, he knows for sure that his best (at least for now) is in the rear view mirror, and it's probably true that he and RD weren't born to love each other. He's not a huge bloke and he's been bashed hard by the biggest and best for all this time. It's a well known fact in top sports that even the best long cycle players can get a kind of deep-down fatigue that means the absolute best therapy is a _total_ break from their games for a decent period, 6 months or more. And then, they may come back super refreshed and better than ever, or they may never want to play again with the same pressures.

Perhaps we need to let go of Gits for a while. For his good, and the team's. He's not a talisman. He's not been playing well. One day he'll get a bad injury, or he'll have to leave us for some other reason. What better thing than he has a massive recharge, and comes back mightily for the S15 and maybe the RWC.

I agree that he may well be fatigued. I guess I was trying to cover that in my 2nd point. I don't think we do want to let him go, just yet. And I think perhaps the challenge (and freedom?) at fullback (away from the young whipper-snapper Cooper telling him what to do) could potentially reinvigorate him.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I agree that he may well be fatigued. I guess I was trying to cover that in my 2nd point. I don't think we do want to let him go, just yet. And I think perhaps the challenge (and freedom?) at fullback (away from the young whipper-snapper Cooper telling him what to do) could potentially reinvigorate him.

Noted. Yr point 2 was on the money IMO. I should have added in my list (re Cooper) that it's very hard psychologically for a king to have to become a prince again.

Where we certainly agree is that something very different for Gits is needed, in fact it's essential. Yr scenario makes sense (with all the caveats you know), I think mine of a true 6 month break and a return in January does too.

What we have now is the worst of all worlds: Gits is not adjusting well at 12, the backline knows that but has to live with it, the fans can see it, Gits is not succeeding as in days gone by, and he too must be hurting in all of this. Bad scene. Needs a genuine fix.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
These few weeks between games, Gits should be sent to play club rugby if only to regain some confidence.

A

Albert

These few weeks between games, Gits should be sent to play club rugby if only to regain some confidence.

Funny you mention that. He'll be at Randwick training tonight, with his luv-buddies Drew and Valo. Obviously not much of a chance to play, but if Jock throws him on with 20 to go, the Wicks could finish the game vs Easts with a handy backline: Valo, Gits, Drew, Fairbanks, Cummins, Sills, KB (Kurtley Beale).

T

TOCC

what slack?
Giteau has been arguably the player most under pressure to perform over the lats 3-4 years, i wouldnt be at all surprised if his is mentally fatigued after 4 years of constant rugby, i know i get pretty fed up in the later half of our 20game season, but at least i have the other 30 weeks to get over it.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Has anyone considered that Giteau is just not good enough anymore? As in, he isn't up to test standard...at all? It's past him by. He may have once been good, but he ain't anymore. It happens to players frequently, whether it be Rugby, AFL, Soccer, Golf. Sportsmen can easily lose their touch and not regain it.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with what I just said - but it could be argued. Most people calling for Giteau to be kept in the test team (including myself) are doing so because they remember what he is capable of. Giteau might not be capable of it anymore.

Henry

Bill Watson (15)
Funny you mention that. He'll be at Randwick training tonight, with his luv-buddies Drew and Valo. Obviously not much of a chance to play, but if Jock throws him on with 20 to go, the Wicks could finish the game vs Easts with a handy backline: Valo, Gits, Drew, Fairbanks, Cummins, Sills, KB (Kurtley Beale).

That would be pretty awesome.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Has anyone considered that Giteau is just not good enough anymore? As in, he isn't up to test standard...at all? It's past him by. He may have once been good, but he ain't anymore. It happens to players frequently, whether it be Rugby, AFL, Soccer, Golf. Sportsmen can easily lose their touch and not regain it.

I'm not saying I necessarily agree with what I just said - but it could be argued. Most people calling for Giteau to be kept in the test team (including myself) are doing so because they remember what he is capable of. Giteau might not be capable of it anymore.

It's the elephant in the room, Reddy!.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Scotty, I was referring to Hynes kicking game, trying -- and obviously failing -- to be a little tongue in cheek. I don't think he's crap - quite the reverse.

Still, I would rather see Shepherd or JOC (James O'Connor) being built up for 15 for the RWC.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
what slack?
Giteau has been arguably the player most under pressure to perform over the lats 3-4 years, i wouldnt be at all surprised if his is mentally fatigued after 4 years of constant rugby, i know i get pretty fed up in the later half of our 20game season, but at least i have the other 30 weeks to get over it.

The slack in that he is still in the team. No matter how he plays.

In saying that he has been stuffed around by coaches (and possibly his own misplaced opinions of the position he should be playing), and moved from 12 to 9 to 10 to 12. Maybe the coaches should learn from the lesson and stop moving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) around as well.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
what slack?

He was cut slack to be selected in the first place. Selected on his reputation because his super 14 form did not warrent it. I suspect you play the game for the love ofthe game and for a sense of pride in your team. I also suspect that you don't earn the big bucks playing. I am not anti Gitau but I think he needs find some confidence and some passion for the game. Club rugby will help with that. If he is fatigued, he should stand up and withdraw from the squad. He is filling a spot that many hungry players who want it bad could fill.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
So many times since Larkham departed Giteau has been the man Australian rugby has turned to. Without him we had no chance against the likes of the Boks and Blacks. I'll give you that he has dissapointed on many occasions but he has also been the star on just as many.
He is no longer that vital cog in our spluttering machine but I believe he has earned the right to still be there.
If he is not a major contributor to some Wallby success in this Tri Nations then I have no problem with Robbie looking elsewhere.
I hope he still has something to offer for the next year. He is still young but has a truckload of experience(albeit it not all good).
Something that we are lacking in our backline right now.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
It's the elephant in the room, Reddy!.

As I've said, IMO, with a player of this (historical) calibre who's still well sub-30 yrs old, we must include the possibility that his best, or near-best, can be revived if he's helped and guided in the right way....in my view, he needs time right away from the game, and thereafter there's a good chance he could come back and play and kick very well indeed.

Please let's remember that a big part of 'depth' is not just more good players numerically, but ensuring our good players have the longest possible cycle of performing well at Wallaby level and are not just permanently 'discarded' when their play suffers or they start to make consistent mistakes. Many top players in top sports have bad dips that they come back out of with the right support structures and tolerance (Hayden in cricket is just one good example over the last third of this career).

Richo

John Thornett (49)
He is no longer that vital cog in our spluttering machine but I believe he has earned the right to still be there.

I have to disagree, Joe Blow. I think longs years of strong performance earn you the right to have a down series without repercussions or maybe even a down year. But it's been too long since Gits showed his form of old and it's time he went somewhere other than the Wallabies to regain his form.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have to disagree, Joe Blow. I think longs years of strong performance earn you the right to have a down series without repercussions or maybe even a down year. But it's been too long since Gits showed his form of old and it's time he went somewhere other than the Wallabies to regain his form.
In recent times he has struggled against the Boks and Blacks.
Let's see what he can do over the next couple of months. He is still an explosive runner with an eye for a gap and backs up better than anyone else in Australian rugby. If he and Cooper can finally gel then they will be the most potent attacking force in world rugby.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I hope you're right. I'd love to see him come good again, especially given there probably isn't much chance he gets dropped before the RWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.