• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
in the context of the wallabys if cooper is ten, then nonu would be a much much better 12 choice just for style of play alone.

I could be wrong, but I don't think he is eligible for wallaby selection. Even if you bind him in wedlock and have little Nonu babies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ant finger is to qld what tom carter is to the waratahs, he is a clubman, nothing more nothing less, outside the comfort of those around them there purpose no longer exists. they both play there part well, but neither is an international player.

incorrect, well partly. Ant is an international player. 4 test caps.

You are correct about Carter though. He is not an international player.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
One start outside giteau against the all blacks. If that damns you, there are a whole lot of brumbies smelling brimstone this season.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Ooooooooh, I see. So it isn't Anthony Fainga'a's fault, it's Matt Giteau's fault!

T

tranquility

"A. Fainga'a or Tom Carter" is the new "Is Tom Carter crap?" debate. Yee-ha.

I know, I hate that Ant gets attached to him. I can't see how anyone in the world would think Tom Carter to be a better player that A Finger. Thank god Robbie agrees.

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Ooooooooh, I see. So it isn't Anthony Fainga'a's fault, it's Matt Giteau's fault!

I know. It hardly needs to be said >:D it's so obvious.

I was just trying to find a prescient post from a couple of years ago - not me -(while the Faingaas were confined to Canberra) which pointed out Fainga'a A's propensity to make important defensive misreads. I failed, I think it was a comment in the blog.

He can't do much about his lack of pace or spark in attack, but he can and to all available evidence has sorted that out.

Oh, and I'm serious - I think it's hard to shine outside the crab. It certainly was last year, and he sure has been better this year - but the backlines he has run have not been great.

Like most I would have him (AF) lurking behind JOC (James O'Connor), Giteau, the migrainous kicking machine with amnesia, Higginbum :lmao: and maybe TC for 12 though.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I would rather have O'Connor at 12 than Nonu.

Really? I'm a huge fan of JOC (James O'Connor) but let's be realistic here.

Nonu is an international star at 12. He was by far the best 12 at Test level last year. JOC (James O'Connor) has not even played one Test at 12 and you're making the call he'd be better than Nonu at 12? On what basis, JOC (James O'Connor) has poor penetration because of his size. Fast of his feet yeah, but in Test rugby that doesn't count for much. JOC (James O'Connor) has more ball playing skills than Nonu yes but no other player can match Nonu's pace and power. He regularly tore SA and us to pieces in defence through his bustling attacks. JOC (James O'Connor) could never do that. Next to Cooper's flat pass he'd be awesome, so yeah Nonu in a heartbeat over JOC (James O'Connor) or anyone in Australia.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Really? I'm a huge fan of JOC (James O'Connor) but let's be realistic here.

Nonu is an international star at 12. He was by far the best 12 at Test level last year. JOC (James O'Connor) has not even played one Test at 12 and you're making the call he'd be better than Nonu at 12? On what basis, JOC (James O'Connor) has poor penetration because of his size. Fast of his feet yeah, but in Test rugby that doesn't count for much. JOC (James O'Connor) has more ball playing skills than Nonu yes but no other player can match Nonu's pace and power. He regularly tore SA and us to pieces in defence through his bustling attacks. JOC (James O'Connor) could never do that.

I agree Nonu was very good last year. He has been off his best this year. In any event, there isn't a cookie-cutter 12 that must fit a certain phenotype in terms of size, pace, style. JOC (James O'Connor) makes breaks, less by bulk, and more by guile and is a damn strong man with the fend. Great step, pace, can kick and tackles strongly. I think he has all the skills to be a very good 12, not a " Nonu-12", but a very good 12 nonetheless. I don't see the Nonu-style 12 in Oz rugby waving his arms to be picked. And before anyone says it, Ant Fainga'a and Tom Carter aren't that!! :)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Front Rowers

I agree with pretty much everyone that our best options for the front row are Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Slipper & Moore. I think we should switch things around as much as possible during the tri-nations so that each of these guys can establish combinations with the others. The Tahs front row at the moment looks great so they possibly should be our go to combination. Daley is so great around the park, it’s a real shame we is so poor in the scrums, although he doesn’t have the advantage of packing down next to TPN at the Reds, so I think teams will add him to the training squad.

Second Rowers

Horwill, Sharpe and Simmons. No argument there. Just going from comments made recently by Deans, it is pretty obvious he still wants to add Vickerman to his team. I guarantee you will see Vickerman in the tri-nations squad.

Loosies

Great depth in the backrow. Pocock is obvious. So is McCallum. He’s the incumbent no.8 and his form has been too good this season to leave out. A fit Palu will be handy come World Cup time so I think we will be used sparingly, possibly off the bench, through-out the 3nations. Elsom is the Captain and he will be given a chance to find form also.

The question then become not so much who do you include as it is who do you exclude? Higgers is one man we shouldn’t exclude. He has become an impact player which is what we need at 6. I’d also like to see Robinson in the squad. He plays with a lot of passion and enthusiasm which is what I want from someone representing my country.

Halfback

World’s best halfback by a country mile - Genia. I agree with comments from others that Burgess has actually proven quite effective playing off-the-bench for the Wallabies. Kingi or Phipps as third halfback. I’m sure Deans will have a preference.

Backs

I’d stick with the old firm first up and see how they go

10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Barnes/Giteau
13. Ashley Cooper
14. O’Connor
15. Beale

Other players that should be included in the squad in my view are as follows
-A Fainga'a - he was the only player this season to really shut down both Fourie and SBW. His defense is down right impressive. He is nothing special in attack but I think we have enough attacking flair in our backline already, he provides us with a harder edge.
- Gerrard – He’d make a decent bench player. This season he’s shown some go versatility for the Rebels and has looked strong in defense (also his kicking in play is faultless)
- McCabe – solid motherfkr. Nuf said.
- Horne – if he can get fit, put him in.
- Turner – speed to burn and plenty of test experience.
- Morahan – versatile
- Sheppard – if there is room left in the squad.

I think Deans will try to get each of his WC squad members some quality game time, so I expect to see him chop and change over the 4 games.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I think with the backs, against samoa you play O'Connor at 12 and cummins or morahan on the wing (unless turner, hynes or davies have blinders in the remaining games).

Against the all blacks I want to see giteau at 12, with O'Connor on the wing or the bench. If barnes is match fit I want to see him at 12 against the springboks and off the bench against the all blacks, with O'Connor starting that match.

As I said before, giteau should get one shot against the all blacks, and maybe a 20 minute cameo off the bench against samoa. If he doesn't step up than we are better off taking someone else.

Other players I would like to see get a decent run (20-30 mins) off the bench are Gerrard, Horne and Phipps.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
first of all id like to state that i dont like the idea of experimenting in a wold cup year> tournaments are won on combinations, strong set piece, defense and a good kicker of course
however>> one thing ive wanted to see for a long time is gerrard at inside center> apparently he grew up playing 5/8 and has great ball skills. his defense is solid in close contact and wow id love to see that booming kick in the wallaby arsenal... id suggest you dont realise how good one is till youve got one>> think latham 07 and think carters kicking against the reds on the weekend>>
his one experiment at 5/8 vs a settled northern club team was arrogant by connely and should have been given a better chance
gerrard and ashley cooper would be a centers combo id like to try (assuming drews out id have oconner on the wing> partly to be the new shane williams/ partly to roam)

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
Against the all blacks I want to see giteau at 12, with O'Connor on the wing or the bench. If barnes is match fit I want to see him at 12 against the springboks and off the bench against the all blacks, with O'Connor starting that match.

As I said before, giteau should get one shot against the all blacks, and maybe a 20 minute cameo off the bench against samoa. If he doesn't step up than we are better off taking someone else.

Other players I would like to see get a decent run (20-30 mins) off the bench are Gerrard, Horne and Phipps.

soo ahh i assume ur gunna have gits kicking?
oconner is in all my starting teams> you pick your best players then you find a spot for them

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
soo ahh i assume ur gunna have gits kicking?
oconner is in all my starting teams> you pick your best players then you find a spot for them

I hadn't thought about it to be honest. I made the comment about giteau not as a definitive selection but rather to just test his worth for the world cup squad. Also to give O'Connor a bit of a rest and do a bit of reconditioning for the world cup.

Let me make it clear I don't rate giteau very highly at the moment, but he was a decent player a few years ago. If we were playing rwc final tomorrow assuming barnes and horne were fit I would pick them on the bench before giteau, with JOC (James O'Connor) starting at 12.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I haven't seen much love here for Samo. He seems to be getting fitter and better with each outing and is surely a great selection for the RWC squad (and the 3Ns squad before it).
Dean Mumm has been a good servant for Australian rugby and it seems unfair that he may not make the squad. However, I would pick Samo ahead of him as a bench option to cover 4,5,6 and 8. He also has the ability to influence a game in a way that Mumm has always been lacking.
If he keeps improving at this rate he may just play himself into a starting position at 8 against Samoa.
Our backrow options are looking pretty strong mostly because of the emergence of the Qld trio that played on the weekend and more than held their own with McAWE and Reid.

Status
Not open for further replies.