• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
Robbie Deans has a love for Dean Mumm and Chisholm, so I am almost certain one of them will make the Tri-Nations squad over someone probably more deserving like Hugh Pyle or Sam Wykes

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Robbie Deans has a love for Dean Mumm and Chisholm, so I am almost certain one of them will make the Tri-Nations squad over someone probably more deserving like Hugh Pyle or Sam Wykes

Yes indeed tl12, the memories of dear old Mumm last year. Working away yes, but never impacting anything much, never game-changing, activity without true effectiveness. Many of us threw up hands in abject frustration, but he was picked over and over again.

Deans has enormous confidence in his own Test selections - after a Brisbane Test last year he declared that "Ma'afu has tonight confirmed himself as belonging as a true Test-class prop" - and I am sure you are right, we will see prior years' choices automatically come right back into the 2011 mix, irrespective of intervening form and performance in the S15.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I wonder how Deans will run Cooper and Beale if defense.

Will he emulate the Crusaders and have a 4 man group (Cooper & Beale & the two wingers) in defense?

Does that mean Genia stays is the line? (Deans usually has the 9 as the defensive sweeper)

On the locks, Sharpe, Simmons & Horwell have all demonstrated enough. The 4th lock spot is completely open, Mumm does everything well except run the ball, some of the other run the ball much better but aren't as effective doing the pushing & stuff.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
For me, the make-up of this years Wallabies squad is pretty obvious. It'll be mostly the team from last year, with a few slight alterations (Horwill, TPN, Ioane in, O'Connor 12, Mitchell out etc.). I'd like to see a 5/2 split on the bench. It's worked for the Reds and with the physicality of SA and NZ (Brussouw, Burger, Spies, McCaw, Kaino, Read, Messam et al.) I think having strong, fit and fresh forwards is a must. I'd really like to see Hodgson make the 22- I feel he's significantly under-appreciated due to the focus on Pocock, with the added bonus of being able to play all three backrow positions. As cover for Palu, who might not be at peak fitness, I think Samo coming off the bench with 30 minutes to go could be a revelation. He's an extremely dynamic and powerful player, but his spark seems to fade reasonably early. An impact player role is one that I think Radike is made for.

Also hearing that Giteau is shaping up as backup #9 to Genia. Was talking to somebody with substantially high connections the other day, and he said that's how Giteau is being seen at the moment. It solves two problems I have with the Wallabies. Firstly, it allows the 5/2 split as backup #9 doesn't take a whole spot on the bench, especially as there's no real reason to replace Genia. Secondly, I do not like the idea of Burgess coming on in the final stages of a crucial RWC match with his dodgy pass. May be physical, but lacks the composure for those real pressure-cooker moments.

Wallabies Squad- Mid- Year Test Matches

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. James Slipper
4. Nathan Sharpe
5. James Horwill
6. Rocky Elsom (c)- He's the incumbent captain, face it, he'll be there.
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Lachie Turner
15. Kurtley Beale
-------------------------
16. Stephen Moore
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Rob Simmons
19. Matt Hodgson
20. Radike Samo
21. Matt Giteau
22. Luke Morahan
-------------------------
23. Saia Fainga'a
24. Ben Alexander
25. Dan Vickerman
26. Scott Higginbotham
27. Luke Burgess
28. Berrick Barnes
29. Anthony Fainga'a
30. Cameron Shepherd

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
McCalman abit unlucky not to make that list I think, particularly against Samo. Nevertheless, its still a winning side. From a Qld perspective I'd like to see Higginbotham get a run at some point, I imagine that will happen as Rocky is recovering though

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I dont see the point of picking hodgson when you have pocock starting. Barring injury, why would we replace him, he's one of, if-not the fittest player in the team and he's a far superior player to hodgson. And if you are going to go 5:2, I think giteau needs some serious gametime at 9 before the world cup.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Swarley i like your squad but I have to agree with Light that McCalman should get a spot.

My 30 man squad for the tri-nations would be as follows
1.Robinson
2.TPN
3.Kepu
4.Horwill
5.Sharpe
6.Elsom
7.Pocock
8.Palu
9.Genia
10.Cooper
11.Ioane
12.Giteau
13.Fainga'a
14.O'Connor
15.Beale

16.Moore
17.Slipper
18.Simmons
19.McCalman
20.Higgers
21.Burgess
22.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

23.Alexander
24.Charles
25.Vickerman
26.Samo
27.Hodgson
28.Barnes
29.McCabe
30.Turner

Vickerman should be included and I think he will given that Deans has told the press that he is interested in his services.

I think Samo's done enough this year to get a spot.

I'd like the see Barnes, Giteau and O'Connor all get a run at 12 at some point before the world cup.

I'm hoping Horne will recover at some point and when he does i think Deans will rush him back in the squad, as will happen id Mitchell recovers.

The tahs front row seems like I solid choice. once against scrums will be our weakness but nevertheless this is the first year I can remember us having any choice. 4 decent props and 2 world class hookers should get us through the break.

The make up of the backrow is very tough for me. I'd like Palu in the 22 but I dont mind whether he starts on the field or on the bench. If Palu's injured, Samo can fill his big ass shoes. The Force backrow have been very effective this year, so I'd like to see us playing Pocock/McCalman or Pocock/Hodgson at the same time for at least parts of a game.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Swarley, I reckon Turner would be pretty lucky to make the squad. I know I was a vocal supporter of his last year but I don't think he's done enough this year to be there.

The only thing that gives him any sort of edge over the other candidates is Test experience.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
hmmmm.... roughly what will/should be there (based on what I think Deans will go for)

1. Robinson
2. Moore (he'll be picked ahead of TPN)
3. Slipper
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Elsom
7. Pocock
8. Palu (if fit, if not - McCalman)
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Ioane
12. Giteau
13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. O'Connor
15. Beale

16. TPN
17. Kepu
18. Simmons
19. Hodgson
20. Burgess
21. Barnes
22. Morahan

23. Fainga'a (ugh...)
24. Alexander (although I'd prefer Palmer)
25. Samo
26. Higginbotham
27. McCalman
28. Phipps
29. Fainga'a/Shepherd
30. McCabe

I forgot about Horne...

If fit and available will kick out Fainga'a...

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
I agree with slim expect I'd have Shepherd as a definate over McCabe and Morahan. As much as I think Samo should be in the squad, if all backrowers are fit I see them more likely to choose Pyle,Wykes,Vickerman or Mumm as a 4th lock over Radike

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Pyle, Mumm, Wykes over Samo... Samo is the best performing 8 in the Australian province. He is daylights ahead of anyone else we have and has proven against the Stormers, Blues & Crusaders that he can stand-up in the big games and perform...

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
My 30 man squad for the tri-nations would be as follows
1.Robinson
2.TPN
3.Kepu
4.Horwill
5.Sharpe
6.Elsom
7.Pocock
8.Samo
9.Genia
10.Cooper
11.Ioane
12.Giteau
13.Fainga'a
14.O'Connor
15.Beale

16.Moore
17.Slipper
18.Simmons
19.Beau Robinson
20.Higgers
21.Burgess
22.AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)

23.Alexander
24.S Fainga'a
25.Vickerman
26.McCalman
27.Hodgson
28.Barnes
29.Shepherd
30.Morahan

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
1.Robinson
2.Moore
3.Slipper
4.Horwill
5.Sharpe
6.Elsom
7.Pocock
8.Palu
9.Genia
10.Cooper
11.Ioane
12.Barnes
13.Ashley-Cooper
14.O'Connor
15.Beale

16.Tatafu
17.Kepu
18.Simmons
19.Higginbotham
20.Burgess
21.Giteau
22.Shepherd

23.Alexander
24.S Fainga'a
25.Vickerman/Pyle/Wykes/Mumm/Samo (any of them could get picked)
26.McCalman
27.Hodgson
28.Phipps/McCabe (depending if they only take 2 halfbacks and use Giteau as a back up).
29.A.Fainga'a
30.Morahan

Whilst I think Samo has been in great form, I have a feeling Deans won't pick him over players like McCalman and a fully-fit Palu (which may not happen)

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The more I think about it, the more i think we should have Giteau as our third choice halfback at the world cup. He might be playing out of position but we are better off playing an experienced guy like giteau at halfback than including a rookie in a world cup year.

Also that way we can take 6 looises to New Zealand

Elsom, Pocock,Higgers, Hodgson,McCalmun, Palu (or if Palu's injured; Samo).

B

Braveheart.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (*a)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom (captain) (*b)
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu (*c)
9. Will Genia (vice captain)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Berrick Barnes (*d)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore (*a)
17. James Slipper
18. Rob Simmons
19. Matt Hodgson (*e)
20. Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau
22. Pat McCabe

23. Saia Fainga'a (*f)
24. Ben Alexander
25. Hugh Pyle
26. Scott Higginbotham
27. Ben McCallman
28. Nick Phipps (*g)
29. Anthony Fainga'a (*h)
30. Luke Morahan

(*a) TPN to start over Moore for 50 minutes. Use TPN as a battering ram in defence to batter and bruise the opposition. Moore on to steady the ship once TPN has kamazake'ed himself to a standstill.
(*b) If Rocky if fit, start him. If injured, straight swap for Scott Higginbotham.
(*c) Dependent on if Cliffy reaches form or not. It's clear that he is part of Dean's plans - if he's injured, McCallman into the starting side, Samo into the 30.
(*d) Berrick to start. Similar to TPN - use as the defensive general of the backline (similar to A. Fainga'a's role at the Reds). You need a defensive orientated 12 to sure up Cooper's fakey defence.
(*e) Matt Hodgson on the bench to cover 6 & 7. Most people have Higginbotham on the bench. What if Bam Bam goes down? You simply can't have an Elsom / Palu / Higginbotham loose trio.
(*f) Saia Fainga'a just nudges out Charles on experience only.
(*g) Nick Phibbs - still undecided on this one. We could do with a wet-weather back three player in the form of Gerrard of Sheperd.
(*h) I'd be equally happy with Horne or Fainga'a.

If Mitchell is fit - either Morahan or Phipps is the unlucky soul.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau (*a)
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom (captain) (*b)
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu (*c)
9. Will Genia (vice captain)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Berrick Barnes (*d)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore (*a)
17. James Slipper
18. Rob Simmons
19. Matt Hodgson (*e)
20. Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau
22. Pat McCabe

23. Saia Fainga'a (*f)
24. Ben Alexander
25. Hugh Pyle
26. Scott Higginbotham
27. Ben McCallman
28. Nick Phipps (*g)
29. Anthony Fainga'a (*h)
30. Luke Morahan

(*a) TPN to start over Moore for 50 minutes. Use TPN as a battering ram in defence to batter and bruise the opposition. Moore on to steady the ship once TPN has kamazake'ed himself to a standstill.
(*b) If Rocky if fit, start him. If injured, straight swap for Scott Higginbotham.
(*c) Dependent on if Cliffy reaches form or not. It's clear that he is part of Dean's plans - if he's injured, McCallman into the starting side, Samo into the 30.
(*d) Berrick to start. Similar to TPN - use as the defensive general of the backline (similar to A. Fainga'a's role at the Reds). You need a defensive orientated 12 to sure up Cooper's fakey defence.
(*e) Matt Hodgson on the bench to cover 6 & 7. Most people have Higginbotham on the bench. What if Bam Bam goes down? You simply can't have an Elsom / Palu / Higginbotham loose trio.
(*f) Saia Fainga'a just nudges out Charles on experience only.
(*g) Nick Phibbs - still undecided on this one. We could do with a wet-weather back three player in the form of Gerrard of Sheperd.
(*h) I'd be equally happy with Horne or Fainga'a.

If Mitchell is fit - either Morahan or Phipps is the unlucky soul.

That is a damn good team.

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
What's everyone's thoughts on Cameron Shepherd in the squad? I think he has been in better form then McCabe and Morahan, but it doesn't seem like people want him as a winger. And with O'Connor, Beale, Ashley Cooper and either one of two previously mentioned able to cover full-back, would Shep make the squad?

I think his form is too good to ignore, but would Deans consider him as a back up winger or primarily a fullback?

Status
Not open for further replies.