• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Trinations Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. James Slipper
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom (captain)
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu
9. Will Genia (vice captain)
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Matt Giteau
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore (*a)
17. Sekope Kepu
18. Rob Simmons
19. Matt Hodgson (*e)
20. Luke Burgess
21. Berrick Barnes
22. Cameron Shepherd

23. Nathan Charles
24. Ben Alexander
25. Sam Wykes
26. Scott Higginbotham
27. Ben McCalman
28. Nick Phipps
29. Anthony Fainga'a
30. Luke Morahan

T

TheNextBigThing

Excellent post Braveheart. I don't necessarily agree with all your choices but it was really well explained.

It's important to think about and factor in contingencies, substitution strategies and squad mandatories, and elucidate them clearly rather than just list your 30 favored players.

Again, excellent post.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
The only player who has been consisently selected here that I would disagree with is Morahan. As much as he has been playing well, I think if you are picking a dirt-tracker outside back you want one with a bit more versatility. Someone like Mark Gerrard, Nick Cummins or Lachie Turner, who can play wing but can also slot in to 13 or 15 (Cummins probably couldn't but Gerrard and Turner could).

Because realistically your dirt-tracker outside back will at very best be on the bench. Would you put Morahan on a test bench knowing he can only play one position?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The only player who has been consisently selected here that I would disagree with is Morahan. As much as he has been playing well, I think if you are picking a dirt-tracker outside back you want one with a bit more versatility. Someone like Mark Gerrard, Nick Cummins or Lachie Turner, who can play wing but can also slot in to 13 or 15 (Cummins probably couldn't but Gerrard and Turner could).

Because realistically your dirt-tracker outside back will at very best be on the bench. Would you put Morahan on a test bench knowing he can only play one position?

And I would pick McCabe ahead of those 3 without hesitation...

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Really agree with this. Plus, Morahan seems to only have pace and a bit of size (though that's similar to Turner, who's got his pace and a boot). Cummins can play OC, and he and Gerrard are pretty solid citizens.

And I would pick McCabe ahead of those 3 without hesitation...

WE GET IT ;)

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Seems like my top team is a little bit different to others.

1. Benn Robinson
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. Berrick Barnes
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. James O'Connor
15. Kurtley Beale

16. James Slipper
17. Tatafu Polota Nau
18. Rob Simmons
19. Matt Hodgson
20. Wycliff Palu
21. Matt Giteau
22. Pat McCabe

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
1. Ben Alexander
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Salesi Ma'afu
4. Dean Mumm
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Mitchell Chapman
7. Phil Waugh
8. Richard Brown
9. Josh Valentine
10. Matt Giteau
11. Nick Cummins
12. Anthony Fainga'a
13. Ryan Cross
14. Rod Davies
15. Cameron Shepherd

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
Morahan is one of those characters that seems to find his way to the try line more often than you might expect on objective appraisal of his attributes. But maybe thats just a combination of being part of an occasionally functional backline and being largish and quickish, and knowing where to be in attack and defense.

He is just getting going in Super rugby, really. I think this might be a season too early for him.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
1. Ben Alexander
2. Saia Fainga'a
3. Salesi Ma'afu
4. Dean Mumm
5. Mark Chisholm
6. Mitchell Chapman
7. Phil Waugh
8. Richard Brown
9. Josh Valentine
10. Matt Giteau
11. Nick Cummins
12. Anthony Fainga'a
13. Ryan Cross
14. Rod Davies
15. Cameron Shepherd

Very droll qwerty - the fallen angels XV aka the poodles :)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Morahan beats defenders one on one and has pace. The others listed (and McCabe) don't beat defenders on kick return.

With Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). JOC (James O'Connor) and I assume a fit Shepherd in the squad I just don't see Gerrard getting near the squad.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
id take morahan over turner simply because of his ability to beat a defender>
turner has played a lot better since the forum and this is largely due to him not kicking away every opportunity >
lets see him continue this for a few more weeks before he'd be any chance

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Morahan beats defenders one on one and has pace. The others listed (and McCabe) don't beat defenders on kick return.

With Beale, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper). JOC (James O'Connor) and I assume a fit Shepherd in the squad I just don't see Gerrard getting near the squad.

I would have both Morahan and McCabe in my squad...

No Gerrard, no Turner, and possibly no Fainga'a if I had to...

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
i think gerrard should be considered at 13 as back up for ashley cooper>
he is physical and has the size and confidence to bump attemped tacklers/ dent the line and has great ball skills
especially as drew mitchells out ioane is our top winger and should be kept there
he also possesses a boot which can change a game> we havnt had this since latham and id suggest people forget how much of a weapon this is> his distance is 15m+ on anyone else in the team every time

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
At best, Gerrard would be behind AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), McCabe, Fainga'a, and a fit Horne for outside centre...

B

Braveheart.

Morahan is one of those characters that seems to find his way to the try line more often than you might expect on objective appraisal of his attributes. But maybe thats just a combination of being part of an occasionally functional backline and being largish and quickish, and knowing where to be in attack and defense.

He is just getting going in Super rugby, really. I think this might be a season too early for him.

In my opinion we need a genuine winger as a backup to Ioane & JOC (James O'Connor) (and fingers crossed Mitchell).

Pat McCabe would be on my bench to cover 13-15. While I do like him as winger, I think he's value is in the fact that he is versatile, a strong runner and safe as houses. Bench outside back for mine.

Cummins is a Super XV player at best. He is a strong runner but lacks true impact and top end speed. I'd leave him out of the squad. Maybe the 40 man tri-nations training squad to give him a taste and a pat on the back.

Gerrard has a monsterous boot - his only true asset. I just can't see this fitting in with Dingo's game plan. Period.

This leaves Lachie Turner / Luke Morahan for the final outside back spot. Based on form (and maybe it's a function of being on the end of a productive backline) I'd take Morahan. Yes, Turner has experience but he seems a pace or two off previous years.

sudrugby

Watty Friend (18)
My vision from far far away

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Lachlan Turner
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Ben Alexander
18. Rob Simmons
19. Scott Higginbotham
20. Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau
22. Cameron Shepherd

23. Saia Fainga'a
24. James Slipper
25. Sam Wykes
26. Matt Hodgson
27. Wycliff Palu
28. Nick Phipps
29. Berrick Barnes
30. Rodney Davies

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
My vision from far far away

1. Benn Robinson
2. Tatafu Polota-Nau
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill
5. Nathan Sharpe
6. Rocky Elsom
7. David Pocock
8. Ben McCalman
9. Will Genia
10. Quade Cooper
11. Digby Ioane
12. James O'Connor
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper
14. Lachlan Turner
15. Kurtley Beale

16. Stephen Moore
17. Ben Alexander
18. Rob Simmons
19. Scott Higginbotham
20. Luke Burgess
21. Matt Giteau
22. Cameron Shepherd

23. Saia Fainga'a
24. James Slipper
25. Sam Wykes
26. Matt Hodgson
27. Wycliff Palu
28. Nick Phipps
29. Berrick Barnes
30. Rodney Davies

Who's the 13 cover if AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) goes down from those 30? Digby?

Status
Not open for further replies.