• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks, Saturday 19th August, ANZ Stadium Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
I talked to an ex Tahs player last year who told me Cheika rarely talks to players about their weaknesses. He only wants them focusing on strengths.
Something like
"nard your hair looks really good wren you get charged down"
"nick you got to that ruck so quickly when you passed to noone, good stuff"
"you still look like a hell of a good hooker Stephen"
Ah I don't have enough enthusiasm to think up anymore, even these are lame. It's late here, I'm tired

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I turned the TV off when the score was 33-6

Taped the game and did think maybe worth at least watching the second half this morning but then thought better things to do..

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
All Blacks really went off the boil in that second half. Other things that struck me were that two of the Wallaby tries and at least one of the All Blacks tries should have been called back for forward passes. Wayne Barnes has had a decade and still can't pick them up. The only forward pass that did get called was by Nigel Owens.

Spieber

Bob Loudon (25)
Folau should be on reduced rations.
He missed an u10 tackle not by being caught in no mans land on the right edge but by moving into no mans land. Maybe it was a preemptive strike to stop talk of him playing on the wing.
He threw a pop pass off the ground in traffic.
Never has so much been paid to so few for so little.
He has been "out of form" for years. In fact, it's a more fundamental issue: he has no kick, poor hands and no judgment.
Move Beale to 15.

We seem to think of Folau as like some kind of Ronaldo or Messi. Big difference, in football these guys have one job and one job only.

T

TOCC

Well that was interesting, I thought after the first half we were going lose by 100.

But we came back and one the second half convincingly.

I thought the pigs did pretty well, set piece was strong.

The backs looked like a group that hadn't played together and didn't trust eachother.

Guys like Speight makes great defensive decisions playing for the ponies, but not for the Wobs. I thought Rona looked very solid, strong running, good defense and soft hands. I also thought Hodge looked effective

We were all right that the Kerevi/Beale centre pairing didn't work, but Beale was the best Aus back by miles, so bye bye Kerevi, enjoy the pine and the NRC.

still not a single comment on the coaching?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Whatever you think of the coaches, whoever they pick they should not be missing 30 tackles within the first 30 minutes

Rubbish. That issue was utterly with the coach-clown. Look at the defensive changes from attack for Christ sake. That first half was ALL Cheika.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
From the little that we were able to stomach of the game, before turning off the box, I am at a total loss to understand just what the defensive coach actually does?

As for Chubby, surely he is on borrowed time now. Unless things turn around amazingly by the end of the year, he is toast.

You'd think.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
From the little that we were able to stomach of the game, before turning off the box, I am at a total loss to understand just what the defensive coach actually does?

As for Chubby, surely he is on borrowed time now. Unless things turn around amazingly by the end of the year, he is toast.

The defensive coach makes do with the strategy that the HC gives him. Selection and positions entirely around the Clown's concept of "the Australian way" and then the D coach shuffles the deck to try and create a D team.

That first half was all the Clown's doing. 100%

Tigger

Peter Burge (5)
That Lions series really rammed home how you need a really good one on one put your arse on the turf tackle to halt momentum and occasionally make use of quick ruck turnover ball...oh to dream of forwards that can do that....oh but wait I guess all that potential talent gets scouted to other codes early on....Take your bespoke suits off ARU and with the money you save on said suits invest it into public schools, Western Sydney and anywhere else where talent is ....and yes that means you Western Force!

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I dont think the result was a surprise, the only surprise for me was that we scored so many points.

There was no reason to expect the Wallabies to be able to compete, the entire Super Rugby season has shown that in every position New Zealand are better than us.

What annoyed me most was the number of times our team would jog rather than run.

Kerevi was caught out of position plenty of times and would just continue to jog towards where he was meant to be and then watch the All Blacks run in a try. I can accept he is not the best defender but expect him to at least look like he is trying to get to the tackle.

What we missed the most in the backs is a leader, someone who can control the team and direct them where to go. I have never thought of Falou, Beale or Kerevi as leaders, they may be leaders off the field but when is the last time they have been heard shouting to the man inside or outside to get in position?

I think K Hunt was really missed for this reason, he directs the team.

I wonder if Anthony Fainga'a has ever thought of defensive coaching? He understood how to get the line in order.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I would go as far to say the only starting back who defended well was Speight really. And looking at the team sheet is that a surprise?

I'm a Speight fan. he wasn't the worst but he missed his fair share.

Beale was actually the player who I thought was better then expected (but still not great), and even so he is far from a defensive backline manager - there is none in the backline.

We need a Lilo, Gits, To'omua, Fainga maybe even a Hunt who can control the line-speed and manage the backline in defence.

Don't even get me started at the powder puff forward pack.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I talked to an ex Tahs player last year who told me Cheika rarely talks to players about their weaknesses. He only wants them focusing on strengths.

Horrible coaching 101. No accountability, No accepting of realities. You can't grow unless your acknowledge realities.

T

TOCC

I like Cheika as a coach, but his selections are absolutely baffling and he is a massive part of why the individuals are playing so poorly.

At almost every set piece the wallabies had a different defensive alignment, with players shuffling all over the park, was Kerevi a sweeper or defending at 12? why wasn't KB (Kurtley Beale) defending at 12? If he isn't going to defend there, then don't select him there. If you're going to have Rona defend in the centres then just select him there so he isn't shuffling in and out all game.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
and at least one of the All Blacks tries should have been called back for forward passes.

thought the pass to Squire for 1st try looked easily forward. First thought was oh shit, this’ll be called back. Maybe Barnes just stands in the wrong fucken place too often. He seems to get hit by the ball at least once a game. And he loves it. He just loves the attention. He's improved a lot as a ref but, sadly for him, this only serves as a scaled respite from the Eternal Hell he booked himself in 2007. So instead of spending all eternity gargling on his own flaming ballsack, he gets to wear his rissoled nuts on a nice party necklace while burning for all eternity in a jacuzzi of scalding oil.

2nd half D was a **NATIONAL EMBARRASSMENT**. A staggered line, a staggering congo line, "this way please, all guests aboard the USS All Black Tryline please report to the in-goal area and start partying like it's fucken 1999 RWC."

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The defensive coach makes do with the strategy that the HC gives him. Selection and positions entirely around the Clown's concept of "the Australian way" and then the D coach shuffles the deck to try and create a D team.

That first half was all the Clown's doing. 100%

Cheika style of coaching includes:

"Tackle harder"
"Get in there faces"
"Win the collision"
"Play harder"

Ok, great it's nice to tell the players these things but what can they actually take out of that? Nothing. Telling a player to simply "play harder" isn't exactly coaching.

He's more of a motivator then a coach. And his ways of motivation have died off after year 1.

His comments after the game stating the players need to stick to the systems more were baffling. The systems are half the problem - clear as day to anyone.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
2nd half D was a **NATIONAL EMBARRASSMENT**. A staggered line, a staggering congo line, "this way please, all guests aboard the USS All Black Tryline please report to the in-goal area and start partying like it's fucken 1999 RWC."

The cue was firmly in the rack, and the new game being played was 'injury prevention'

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Dropping Kerevi will fix 2 tries right there.

But then we'd want to take back at least 2 tries from the All Blacks from them taking a foot of the pedal and also some very generous ref decisions.

Even so, if we swap some players in the same systems the result may be closer but that doesn't mean we are any closer to actually winning.
What generous desisions?
The all blacks scored most their trys off forward passes

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.