• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v All Blacks Saturday 26th August at Forsyth Barr Stadium, Dunedin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
BH, he's been pretty terrible all season. I don't think he'd make it many more minutes against the AB's without being exposed.

He has been OK at scrum time. The cupboard is pretty bare at the moment.
Slipper should be back at some point before next season.

Who would you have on the bench?

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
Korczyk is at a similar stage to Hanigan. No point throwing him in there to "see how he goes".

Agree, it wasn't like he ripped it up in the 40mins for Uni on the weekend. If a guy is playing club rugby and in the frame for a Wallabies jersey he should be dominate.

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Sio
TPN
AAA
Coleman
Arnold
Hanigan
Hooper
Timani
Phipps
Foley
Speight
Meakes
TK
Folau
Beale

Robertson
Moore
Kepu
Douglas
McMahon
Genia
Hodge
DHP

The scrum was fine, no need to change any of the props, if someone suggested Uelese over Moore I would be fine with that. If Douglas can come on with 25 to go and really have a crack that could work. I would have both Fardy and RHP over Hanigan, but they're not options. While Hanigan is really lacking impact, he's good in the lineout, and topping both tackle and ruck stats last Sat at least he'll get through some work.

The lift in the Wallabies tempo was palpable when Phipps came on, you could really see it live. I am prepared to grit my teeth and wear the odd shit pass to see us start with the tempo we finished with last week. Meakes and Hodge are interchangable at 12 for me, TK is an obvious one at 13. I think we need some real finishing power on the wing, which is why I've gone for Speight over DHP, who is a better kicking option, but imo Beale kicks okay.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
^^^^ nah nah nah how can we seriously be talking about a hooker who has played a single super rugby game starting on the bench for the Wallabies. Things can't be that bad yet.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
I always thought Beale got a raw deal in 2014 when it was decided he was no fly half after starting there for our thumping in Auckland. Until the previous week (which was a draw with NZ), he hadn't started in that spot since the '12 EOYT tour, during which I thought he looked quite good (i know,different oppo).

9. Phipps (they both suck tho)
10. Beale
12. Hodge
13. TK
11. Folau
14. Speight
15. DHP (can tackle, kick and catch. a no-brainer for me)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
^^^^ nah nah nah how can we seriously be talking about a hooker who has played a single super rugby game starting on the bench for the Wallabies. Things can't be that bad yet.

He has played 3 games.

I'd be tempted to give him a crack off the bench. Moore was atrocious in the first half and got hooked.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Agree, it wasn't like he ripped it up in the 40mins for Uni on the weekend. If a guy is playing club rugby and in the frame for a Wallabies jersey he should be dominate.

I thought that's exactly what he did. He was fantastic. Played with a physicality and effectiveness I haven't see from him previously. Showed benefits of the Wallaby camp, from my perspective.

Still wouldn't pick him in the squad.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I thought that's exactly what he did. He was fantastic. Played with a physicality and effectiveness I haven't see from him previously. Showed benefits of the Wallaby camp, from my perspective.

Still wouldn't pick him in the squad.

Fair call Reg. Agree that he was good but not ripping heads off good. He bounced around and tried to make an impact. Effectiveness is a good point. We are extremely inaccurate at the breakdown. Need to work on that.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
I always thought Beale got a raw deal in 2014 when it was decided he was no fly half after starting there for our thumping in Auckland. Until the previous week (which was a draw with NZ), he hadn't started in that spot since the '12 EOYT tour, during which I thought he looked quite good (i know,different oppo).

10. Beale
12. Hodge
13. TK
11. Folau
14. Speight

I'd put hodge at 15 for the same reasons but an even longer boot.
And I'd like to see meakes at 12.
DHP still has some defensive issues.
Otherwise I'd be pretty happy with that.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)

10. Beale
12. Hodge
13. TK
11. Folau
14. Speight

Is that the same 2012 where we averaged less than a try a a game with beale at 10?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Given that our biggest issue is the D Dance:

1. It's too late to re-shuffle the system right now. Remove a couple of the field position changes to help simplify for now, but they'll need to stick to it.
2. Not enough effort in building combinations and familiarity with that D Dance, so you can't afford to be aggressive with personnel changes either.
3. Possible consider swapping out the backline to start in their most used defensive positions. It'll cost in terms of attack, but maybe it would build in going forward.
4. Our tight 5 were OK, both halves, no point changing much.
5. Loose forwards are a weakness, I'd like to see more appreciation of jumping, kind of means we should stick with Hanigan. Rotate Timani and McMahon maybe.
6. If Hunt is available you'd bring him in possibly.

Sio
Taf
AAAA
Arnold
Coleman
Hanigan
Timani
Hooper

My back line:
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Speight (is he OK blind side?)
12 Kerevi/Hunt
13 Rona
14 Folau
15 Beale

But if Cheika holds to his attack numbering:
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Rona
12 Beale/Hunt
13 Kerevi
14 Soeight
15 Folau

Personally I wouldn't have gotten into this cluster f*** strategy nor with the player selections offered, But where we are right now it's more about trying to settle into the D patterns than changing personnel.

And no, it won't challenge the ABs.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Yeah it was all Beales fault
Nothing to do with McCabe and Horne in the centres.

We had an even less creative pairing in McCabe (who was a 1st year apprentice at 12) and Fainga'a the year before, yet won the tri-nations and averaged more like 3-4 tries per game.

Beale was a great 10 as a schoolboy because he was the best on the park and that's what happens when you're young, but it doesn't mean he can run a backline and a game well enough for test rugby.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I just want our 10 to defend at flyhalf, our 12 to defend at inside centre, our 13 to defend at outside centre, our wings to defend our wide and our fullback to cover from the back, with our backrow covering.

Leave our wingers and fullback to look at the counter attack opportunities from opposition kicks. If they can't, then find others that can.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
No I'm not saying that, and all coaches have favourites. Point is that they make selections for reasons, often that we don't know about or understand. There are selections that I'd make differently as well, but what do I know?

That's the whole point I think KOB. This is a public internet forum where we fans can vent about issues that rile us, analyse the weaknesses of individual players and their impacts on the team, and put forward all sorts of ideas about how to improve our Wallabies. You say you would make different selections also, but what are they. I can assure you that would make a lot better reading for most of us than merely saying you have confidence in the coaching staff and the players they select.

I am sure there is nobody saying that the Wallabies are going well atm. What a lot are saying, and that includes me, is that in our respective opinions there are quite severe problems with the setup that need to be addressed and we put forward our ideas about how to deal with them. It doesn't seem to be coincidence that most of the comments coming in are very similar in nature, and mostly are borne out in practise each time the Wallabies have taken the field over the past two years.

It really is time for some big changes. I'd like to hear what your thoughts might be rather than just going with the status quo believing the Coach knows best.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So you've effectively offered one change. Hodge to start at 12.

What is the rest of your team?

Let's work within some semblance of reality here. You can only include players currently in the squad.

Which is precisely why I only nominated the change involving Hodge. The rest of my post was about the weaknesses in the likely squad for the next test.

Well, actually I think I did nominate McMahon to also replace Hooper, but maybe that didn't compute.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Sio
Taf
AAAA
Arnold
Coleman
Hanigan
Timani
Hooper

My back line:
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Speight (is he OK blind side?)
12 Kerevi/Hunt
13 Rona
14 Folau
15 Beale

But if Cheika holds to his attack numbering:
9 Phipps
10 Foley
11 Rona
12 Beale/Hunt
13 Kerevi
14 Soeight
15 Folau

Kuridrani?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think Cheika and his acolytes will make two changes for the test at Dunedin; TK for Kerevi and TPN for Moore (though that is probably a bit more problematic as they might want to finish with TPN).

Bearing in mind what I perceive to be weaknesses, particularly with the backrow and the defensive patterns in the backline, and being limited to the existing squad I'd prefer to see:

Sio, TPN, Ala'alatoa, Arnold, Coleman, Hanigan, McMahon, Timani, Genia, Foley, Speight, Hodge, TK, Folau, DHP.

Bench : Uelese, Faulkner, Kepu, Douglas, Hooper, Powell, Meakes, Beale.

From outside the squad, I would prefer to see Higgers at 6, Lance at 10.

Edit : The most important change would be to ditch the present defensive strategy and just go back to basics of numbering up on the opposition and getting up quick in their faces. No huge thing, but imo would prove to be a whole lot more effective than the Wallabies' defense has been for two years now.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Kuridrani?

The bench would also mostly stay unchanged. You can argue for Kuridrani over Kerevi, neither way bothers me, however I dont accept the Kerevi's issue were more that the strategy D dance. If Hunt is available, I'd drop one from the 23 - take your pick.

It's not the selection group I would have started with, but last week was not the players' issue, it was Cheika's. And we have only a few days, so no choice but show faith in the group, work through the strategy, and hope for more familiarity from the group with the strategy.

It isn't going to be pretty, but maybe a touch less ugly will have to do.

To be fair to Cheika, the strategy may ultimately prove perfect. In time. With familiarity. The implementation/development/launching has been crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.