• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Barbarians - 1/11/14 (Twickenham)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I wonder if one of the reasons they only took 5 props on tour is because Sio is considered comfortably the next best and he's still injured.

Still, outside of our starting props it not at all clear what the exact pecking order should be. Alexander in particular seems to have lost his dynamic play round the field which was always his greatest strength.

The onus at this point should certainly be to find a reserve scrum that is as strong as possible. It seems to me that our reserve props are more likely to win or lose us a game because of their scrummaging rather than their play around the field.

Slipper and Kepu are an easy choice because they seem to be comfortably our strongest combination both at scrum time and in general play. Was Kepu 6th in the JEM? Surely we've never had our whole first choice front row make the top 6. Amazing stuff.

Could be the reason but not a wise move imo. Both Slipper and Kepu have put in enormous efforts this year and could do with a bit of a rest against the Baa Baas at least. Certainly agree that we need to have the next best scrummagers as the bench props particularly against NH opposition but on recent form hard to say that would be either of the Ben(n)s. Robbo's forte was scrumming but that seems to have gone backwards lately. Still, in the absence of Scott Sio, not too bad an option on the bench. Would like to see how Toby Smith might handle the role in time. Haven't been nearly as satisfied with Benny A's play lately and his scrummaging has always been a bit of a lottery, not necessarily his fault but certainly a perception with some officials. It would have been worthwhile including someone like PAE in the squad to play or be on the bench for the Baa Baas and give the main men a proper opportunity for a rest before the tests begin.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There's no way that Cheika could survive in these days of the TMO.

He was a shocker for Randwick - and just quietly, an apparent "Mr Clean" these days, Rod Macqueen, was the same for the Rats.

different days mate, there was nothing in the world more pleasurable than running a trapped 9 through the mincer and playing noughts and crosses on him

Bon

Ward Prentice (10)
different days mate, there was nothing in the world more pleasurable than running a trapped 9 through the mincer and playing noughts and crosses on him

Gives you the warm and fuzzies just thinking about it.:)

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
They are pricks foxtel. I recorded the Currie Cup final only to go and watch it to find fucking darts on.

Actually 'ducking farts' is a game involving a lot of agility - must of been the loose forwards.... oh, you said F***:D

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Hodgo:

Let's hope that's reflected on the field.

Well, 2 or 3 training sessions don't think it will make a difference. They must maintain the performance they had in Brisbane, with that level the lads can get 5/5 in Europe.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Hodgo:

Let's hope that's reflected on the field.

That's Cheika's way, and I'm a big fan. But, it took nearly a season and a half to turn the Waratahs around into the sort of team he wanted. He's had the Wallabies for a week; if he can turn it around in that time I'll be mighty surprised.

My only hope is that for 70 minutes last time out the Wallabies were playing a version of Cheikball. Maybe they are a bit further up the learning curve and can get closer to the ideal, but I don't expect to see the effects of Cheika's mindset till mid year next year.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Yet the old ethos of rugby still survived, everybody shook hands and had a beer with the boys in the other team. The game was cleaner also.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I think a few of things will help the wallabies win this week:
  • they have something serious to play for (team and individual credibility) and the Baa Baa's do not
  • they will want to place a marker to show that they have been distracted by the shenanigans since june and that they are a capable group
  • They are all auditioning for a longer term role (hopefully not in a soap opera)
  • Cheika seems to be a guy who invites his players to play so as to earn his respect - they will all be eager to accept the invitation

Status
Not open for further replies.