• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v England in Melbourne, 18 June

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
From the clips I've seen of Houston at Bath, he is quite mobile. He is more the out and out No 8 than either of Pocock or McMahon, and has shown every indication of being a more aggressive, impactful No 8 than McCalman. The only qualification I'd offer is the usual one that we really don't know how strong NH form is. However, Cheika apparently urged him to return, and then included him in the initial test training squad, so I'd say he sees something he likes in the way he plays. If we lose this test, I'd expect to see Houston as one of the changes in the third test lineup.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Because I'm bored at work I've run a calc and it looks like our starting pack is only about 1kg less than the Wallabies starting pack from last week, so not too drastic a change there. Still about 25kgs lighter than the Eng pack from last week.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
From the clips I've seen of Houston at Bath, he is quite mobile. He is more the out and out No 8 than either of Pocock or McMahon, and has shown every indication of being a more aggressive, impactful No 8 than McCalman. The only qualification I'd offer is the usual one that we really don't know how strong NH form is. However, Cheika apparently urged him to return, and then included him in the initial test training squad, so I'd say he sees something he likes in the way he plays. If we lose this test, I'd expect to see Houston as one of the changes in the third test lineup.

Houston wouldn't be in the top 5 or 6 8s running around the UK.

NH form is nice but without some previous Aus evidence I think they need do stuff in super rugby first before real Wob call up.

We also have McCaffrey & Grey starting at 8 in the NH, neither could get a start in Super rugby

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Houston wouldn't be in the top 5 or 6 8s running around the UK.

NH form is nice but without some previous Aus evidence I think they need do stuff in super rugby first before real Wob call up.

We also have McCaffrey & Grey starting at 8 in the NH, neither could get a start in Super rugby

I’d have Dave Denton, Toby Faletau (Both Bath), Ben Morgan (Gloucester), Louis Picamoles (Northampton), Billy V (Sarries), Nathan Hughes (Wasps) all ahead of him in the Premiership alone.

That’s before you even consider Josh Strauss (Glasgow), Nasi Manu (Edinburgh) and Nick Williams (Cardiff) in the UK, while if we extend it to British Isles, we’ve also got Jamie Heaslip (Leinster) and CJ O’Stander (Munster).

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sio will need to have a think about his performance last week and his inability to adjust to counter what Cole was doing. Mind you I was surprised that there was hardly any talk amongst the front row to help him.
I guess if you are a test prop then you are expected to know what to do in that situation.
He is a good player and he will be better for this. We will see him later in this series or in the RC for sure.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Sio will need to have a think about his performance last week and his inability to adjust to counter what Cole was doing. Mind you I was surprised that there was hardly any talk amongst the front row to help him.
I guess if you are a test prop then you are expected to know what to do in that situation.
He is a good player and he will be better for this. We will see him later in this series or in the RC for sure.

I reckon the front rowers are pretty tight unit and very supportive of each other.
Reminds me of lifesaving surf boat rowers

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Front row is a special club, and you support each other through thick and thin. You're like brothers who have moved past the angsty conflict and bickering, and into adulthood.

Locks you have to treat like an adopted brother. If they give you the right power, its a good relationship. If they're shit, you ditch them.

Frank Row (1)
McMahon doesn't look like a bad choice to me, won't carry the ball like he does in Super Rugby and, obviously, he cant offer the same traits as Pocock, but he's gonna be solid in defense and i think he is the kind of player that reaches every ruck on time. On attack he won't harm the england pack, but i think he can win the collision against Robshaw, Hartley and Mako and be breakeven against the rest, however, if at one point the english backs have to cover him, he has the capacity to either smash them or outrun them. Actually, he made a side step on JJ and gained 10 meters or so.

Just wanna point out that Sio put Kruise on his arse and Arnold did the same to Billy V, Kepu can do the same, i know its not enough, but the lack of strong ball carriers is balanced by the fast ball carriers.

Anyways, the main problem are the isolated ball carriers, most of the turnovers were a gift to England, they were made without a contest, so Aus only needs someone who reaches the rucks, Sean could take care of that issue.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)

I doubt we will see Houston. His NH form earned him a shot in the training squad but he didn't even make it passed the first cull.

Despite offing a totally different skill-set to the other 8's, like you mentioned, and this gave him a significant point of difference, BUT he still didn't make it passed the first cull.

He obviously didn't show enough at training and doesn't deserve a shot. I have faith Cheika wouldn't have dropped a player of his skill-set without good reason.

He will have to prove himself in super rugby now. Unless he forces his way in through injuries.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yes but is there one of those to choose from? I've never watched Houston play but possibly him, regardless he's not in the squad, and we lose mobility. Balance!
Kepu is close to the most block-busting forward ball runner in the country.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
It'll be the same mantra as last week: speed out wide, tire them out, then bring on a couple of big boppers at the end.

Expecting a 6-2 bench with TPN, Toby, Holmes, Horwill, Mumm, Palu, Frisby, Lilo

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
McMahon's ball running is far far superior to that of Pocock. Turnovers may not be so great (but neither was Pocock last game)

Anyway the turnovers are supposed to be a big part of a seven

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Big week/end for the Doug clan! Enjoy

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Thanks Tex, I appreciate that.
Coincidentally, Saturday sees the 60th anniversary celebrations for the Quirindi Rugby Club, as the "Lions" host the Moree "Bulls", [former club of current Deputy Prime Minister, Barnaby Joyce]!
(Sadly, Mrs Doug and I wont be there celebrating with our many QRUFC friends). I would expect that from 7:30 pm there will be a 'quieter than normal' mob in "The Lions Den", watching 'the local lad' and his team-mates stick it up the Brits!!
The Carter family will be stretched from Quirindi to Melbourne!

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
McMahon's ball running is far far exaggerated at test level.

Suppose we will see his metres this week as opposed to Pocock's metres last week (with the same game time)

Then we can continue to discuss - one of us will remind remind the other to eat some humble pie

Are you up for it ????:)

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
McMahon's ball running is far far exaggerated at test level.
Really? I think his running has generally been quite strong in most of his appearances.

For a smaller (heh*) guy, he's got an amazing amount of directed power.

*very few of these guys are small really - just he appears a bit smaller than others.

Status
Not open for further replies.