• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v France 3rd Test - 21 June Sydney

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
One thing I would like looked at by more seasoned forwards experts is Skelton's positioning on scrum setup. It loked to me that although he gets low and starts with his shoulder below the THP's arse, he is sliding up on the engage and isn't offering enough and maybe splitting the hooker and the THP. I remember seeing one scrum in which the Wallabies were having trouble on the TH side and Skeltons he was above TPN and Kepu's back, which couldn't be achieved if his shoulders were in the right place.

Anybody got a view?

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Since both Palu and Skelton aren't note jumpers, the best balance may be to have Skelton come off the bench, and start with Horwill or Carter.

It also gives us a big running impact forward at the end of the game, when we tend to loose both TPN and Palu.

Is rather put three impact running forwards on at the start to beat the shit out of the opposition and get on top. Then they can play catch up against our fitter finishers.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Why am I not surprised at your comment, Scotty.

Yes, I am not afraid to question whether something is right or wrong no matter how big a name has said it.

If you don't agree that the article was slanted more against the brumbies boys than the Tahs ones please say so.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Why can't To'omua play 12 in defense and 10 in attack? Might be a good way to have Beale involved instead of Foley. Or if we want a more robust 12 that still has the ball skills, Tapuai could team up with To'omua in future.

That is a fair point. To'omua is actually already slotting into first receiver every now and then. He did it a lot in the second game, but only because they wanted to play a territorial battle. So it appears that Link does intend to use To'omua at 10 in attack from time to time but predominantly for his kicking abilities rather than to play an expansive,

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
I was pretty impressed with the game but felt that a side with AB-like killer instinct would have put 70-odd points on France. That is the level I would like to see us get to.

I think you could almost see a look on Hooper's face as he did his swan dive that he knew it was a bit foolish. If swan diving is disrespectful and showboating when you're an annoying-faced winger, then what is when you're a forward captaining your country? I hope McKenzie gently lets him know it doesn't suit.

I think a lot of the dropped ball and poor passes from Foley can be blamed on the sun - and the fact that everyone has off days. I think Cooper's form the last AB test last year through the EOYT is what we need from a 10 in this team, but it is great to have options that can do the job.

A few are knocking Fardy on here but to me he is one of our most important players. Ever notice whenever there is a turn over or dropped ball and he gets his hands on it that he immediately makes the right decision as to where the ball goes? That is how the ABs kill other teams and we need everyone playing like that. An excellent brain protected by headgear and a beard - great player.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I can live with Skelton not being a regular line out jumper if we have two or three blokes who are money on our own throw. With that said, the other parts of his game will have to be even better to make up for something that is in a lock's job description (we shouldn't pick a prop who cannot scrummage for instance). He did bloody well on the weekend and got us some tremendous go forward, as well as good clean out at the breakdown. That may be enough for now. I think the main thing will be to have among our two starters and one bench player all the major requirements covered.

I think there are a whole lot of game strategies we could use him for. Just one that comes to mind is using Skelton and Kepu as lifters for Simmons to catch. As soon as Simmons' feet hit the deck, Kepu and Skelton start a drive, while Simmons feeds the ball to the back of the maul. Anywhere in the 22 that's got to be a devastating tactic with that sort of horsepower.

Swap Dennis for Simmons and it could be an absolute winner. Now where did I put Cheik's telephone number? :)

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
A practically identical French team played New Zealand last year in a June tour. The biggest winning margin for the All Blacks was 30 points (30-0).

Could argue that the All Blacks were playing much better last year than this year, too.

But to say that they are so good that they would put 70 points on France is so wide of the mark, and not giving enough credit to the Wallabies.

FilthRugby

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A lot of good posts and I know it's a bit late, but I was just going to say how awesome it was to see the SFS full (nearly) of wallaby gold! I hope the same is emulated through the tri-nations.

Below is what I hope to see against the All Blacks. 'The Gold Brigade' out in force.

Wallabies_hit_town.jpg

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Not even that.

In my mind the only acceptable try-scoring method for a 7 is to be attempting a pilfer on an opposition ruck that has gone into the in-goal area, and in the course of that pilfer he accidentally puts downward pressure on the ball.

fixed.

Not Fivekick @Barbar. They need downward pressure but in this game only pressure (downward, lateral, or even stress related) is needed for a try.

I can't recall Dan Palmer ever having had the ball pilfered from him. He must be off contract soon and ready to a return to Wallaby Gold.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
fixed.

Not Fivekick @Barbar. They need downward pressure but in this game only pressure (downward, lateral, or even stress related) is needed for a try.

I can't recall Dan Palmer ever having had the ball pilfered from him. He must be off contract soon and ready to a return to Wallaby Gold.

Has Palmer ever got the ball???????

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Oh and just read Bob Dywer's article. Let me summarise:

Wallabies good but can get better.
Players I don't like played well, so have to give them some small compliment.
Players that are non-Waratahs and below par are criticised (White, To'omua).
Players that are Waratahs and below par are ignored or glossed over.

Wasn't Bob part of a syndicate looking to buy the Tahs? You'd think he would talk the Tahs' players down, just to reduce the price of the franchise.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Since when is it acceptable for a 7 to score tries. At all.

In an ideal world, the breakaway must throw himself around like a ragdoll in rucks, and tackle until he can't feel his arms no more.

The blue blood coursing through my veins says Hodgo must be Wallabies 7.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
I think we need to bring in a low possession, defence oriented gameplan so we can really get the most out of our 7.

No one wants to see a 7 scoring tries unless they come from a 1m pick and drive.
Perhaps we don't want a defence orientated game unless no 7 is changed, and I think I prefer having Hooper who plays an attacking game. According to stats I saw somewhere Hooper missed 5 tackles (geez McCaw missed one and is copping shit), but I think most can live with Hooper missing a few as he shows up in open play a lot.

Status
Not open for further replies.