• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Ireland, Saturday 16th June, 8.00pm, AAMI Park, Melbourne

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
It's Wednesday, start with the same 15. Train with the whole squad this week and name the bench after the physios check Beale's recovery on Friday.

Reactions: gel

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Your interpretation of their "main gripe" in that article is quite different to mine.

Gel his comment is within context and I don’t think misplaced. I didn’t watch the game but I’m presuming that EJ (Eddie Jones) has again selected the “double-6”. A consistent comment from fans is the back row with specific concerns around not having a proper 7.

My issue is that I don’t think we do either - our last international quality traditional 7 was probably Liam Gill.

SOLE334

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I've seen people who have said he was trash, others who have said he was outstanding..

Zero Cool. . .you're sounding like a poltergeist :eek:

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Gel his comment is within context and I don’t think misplaced. I didn’t watch the game but I’m presuming that EJ (Eddie Jones) has again selected the “double-6”. A consistent comment from fans is the back row with specific concerns around not having a proper 7.

My issue is that I don’t think we do either - our last international quality traditional 7 was probably Liam Gill.
I am confused. Are you saying we don’t have a 7 or we just don’t play him there.

Pocock certainly fills the mould of a traditional 7 IMO. He just doesn’t wear 7 which, personally, I couldn’t care less about.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
After watching the press conference from the last test (posted in the game thread) I don't think we will see any changes to the starting team, and as the bench did good, I think the bench won't change either

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Reactions: dru

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I am confused. Are you saying we don’t have a 7 or we just don’t play him there.

Pocock certainly fills the mould of a traditional 7 IMO. He just doesn’t wear 7 which, personally, I couldn’t care less about.

Confused? OK. No I don't see Pocock as a traditional 7, he has the 7 skills of fetching as the best in the world however.

Neither Pocock nor Hooper is what I would call a traditional 7. I'd expect some kind of height and jumping ability. Pocock isn't fast enough to regularly hit the first receiver in defense. Hooper is though. Hooper plays an excellent running game, possibly the world's best 7 in this, and Pocock is the world's best fetcher. Neither is an asset in the line out which I would want in a "7 all-rounder".

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Confused? OK. No I don't see Pocock as a traditional 7, he has the 7 skills of fetching as the best in the world however.

Neither Pocock nor Hooper is what I would call a traditional 7. I'd expect some kind of height and jumping ability. Pocock isn't fast enough to regularly hit the first receiver in defense. Hooper is though. Hooper plays an excellent running game, possibly the world's best 7 in this, and Pocock is the world's best fetcher. Neither is an asset in the line out which I would want in a "7 all-rounder".
I'm sorry, could you name a few Wallaby lineout targets who played 7?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)

Sully, that doesn't change my explanation. Though I doubt you'd argue that Gill was not a line out option.

And FWIW I'm not arguing the double 7. Just trying to explain a response to a question.

At the end of the day you want balance in the back row. And Hooper/Pocock provides world top quality excellence in a couple of very important areas.

Just not the line out.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
You argued that a traditional seven had some height about them. That has never been a requirement. I asked you to name one. You couldn't.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
No Sully that is not specifically what you said. Nor I.

What I said was "some kind of height". To be fair to your thrust, I don't really care about height but I do care about jumping ability. And I stand fast to my thinking that 2 jumpers is way not enough at international level.

BTW "rugby" targets is not "Wallaby targets".

Our problem with Pocock and Hooper is not simply that we dont have a 7 that is a line out target. It is that 2/3 in the back row is not a line out target. And then we seem incapable of selecting a third back rower who is a line out target.

And as much as I understands Reg's argument, a team at international level with only 2 jumpers has a very obvious weakness to hunt.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member

Neither Pocock nor Hooper is what I would call a traditional 7. I'd expect some kind of height and jumping ability.

No Sully that is not specifically what you said. Nor I.[/quote
Actually yeah it was.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
David Wilson ?
Open-sides need to be close to the ground :)
I was going to say Scott gourley..but his five tests were all with Jeff miller as the other flanker and they both wore 6 & 7 in those five tests.

Anyway, this is all better off in the rugby trivia thread!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.