• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italians

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What are the thoughts about the test team?

I know its Canberra (it is isn't it?) But I reckon Stirlo might be rested.

So perhaps, assuming all fit except Hodgo:

15 James O'Connor
14 Drew Mitchell
13 Ryan Cross
12 Berrick Barnes
11 Adam Ashley-Cooper
10 Matt Giteau
9 Josh Valentine
8 Richard Brown
7 George Smith (c)
6 Rocky Elsom
5 Dean Mumm
4 James Horwill
3 Al Baxter
2 Tatafu Polata-Nau
1 Ben Alexander

16 Stephen Moore
17 Pek Cowan
18 Peter Kimlin
19 David Pocock
20 Luke Burgess
21 Timana Tahu
22 Peter Hynes

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Yeah its Canberra. Hope they've got temporary seating because 25K at a Test match is a little on the disappointing side, even though I'm sure every seat will be filled.

F

formeropenside

I thought Elsom was out too. I'd play Mumm at 6 and Kimlin at 5. I'd also play Hynes ahead of Mitchell.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah Rocky is out now. So I guess that just leaves Mumm.

Cognisant that I reckon they'll play the entire (fit) squad across the series.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
I expect the bench from last Saturday to get at least 40 minutes each on Saturday. I would also try to get as much game time for the 7 who missed last Saturday. It might be mathematically difficult to achieve that, given the imperative of winning and winning well.

An aside, I watched Mitchell closely on Saturday. My impressions were that his work with the ball going into contact was quite good and that his off-the-ball work was very good. If he works on both those aspects of his game, he might realize his potential. I'd give him as much time as possible on Saturday to consolidate his improvement.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Biffo said:
It might be mathematically difficult to achieve that, given the imperative of winning and winning well.

Yeah but I'm not concerned with winning by a million. As long as we beat them, and play with some structure.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
As I posted on another thread, I want to see the forwards really play a strong game as a unit, and some good set pieces.
If the backs get a fair bit of decent ball, they may score lots of points, but we've all been left wanting there before so I won't expect too much. There was some evidence they may deliver more this year on Saturday night, although still early days.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I think they will play as many Brumbies players, including new 2010 players, as is practicable. Thus if Mortlock is to be rested before 3N I think they will wait for the 2nd test against the Azzurrri in Melbourne.

Thus Mortlock, Smith, Moore, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Giteau and Valentine should start.

Ben Alexander may start at 1 and move to THP in the 2nd half - or just play the 2nd half as THP. His 20 minutes against the Baas on the RH side whetted the appetite but I want to see him for a longer time using both shoulders. They can always substitute props and bring them back later on if needs be; so long as they are not replaced through injury, then recover.

People are mentioning Peter Hynes. Is he fit now?

I would rest Gits for Melbourne.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just a couple of changes:

Two Changes to Qantas Wallabies for Italy
June 09, 2009 - 12:30pm
Story by: ARU

Blindside flanker Dean Mumm and fullback James O’Connor have been called into the Qantas Wallabies side that has been named today for Saturday night’s opening Test of the 2009 Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series against Italy at Canberra Stadium.

Mumm replaces the injured Matt Hodgson, while O’Connor comes in for AdamAshley-Cooper, in the two changes to the starting XV from that which saw off the Barbarians 55-7 at the Sydney Football Stadium last weekend.

Both Mumm and O’Connor played from the run on reserves bench during last weekend’s international season opener. The teenage O’Connor, who will be starting in a Test match for the first time, last year became the second youngest ever Test Wallaby when, at the age of 18 years and 126 days, he made his debut off the bench at fullback during Australia’s 30-20 win over Italy at Padova.

Ashley-Cooper takes over the position vacated by O’Connor amongst the run on reserves, while Brumbies utility forward Peter Kimlin has been promoted into the match night squad, after being released to play club rugby for Wests in Canberra last weekend.

The 23-year-old will be making his Test debut if called on to take part from the bench. While Kimlin was a member of last year’s Spring Tour squad, his only involvement came in the non-cap match against the Barbarians at London’s Wembley Stadium.

He is one of six players currently on the Brumbies’ playing roster who will feature in the Test match, which represents the Wallabies’ first appearance in Canberra for nine years.

Regular openside flanker George Smith is another of these. Although Saturday night will be the 97th Test of Smith’s career, it will be the first time that he has played a Test in front of his regular Super Rugby home crowd.

Qantas Wallabies coach Robbie Deans says the change in the back row was forced by injury, with both last week’s debutant, Matt Hodgson (AC joint in his shoulder), and returning squad member Rocky Elsom (bruised knee) ruled out.

Hodgson and Elsom were assessed by the Wallabies medical staff once the team relocated to Canberra on Sunday afternoon.

Deans confirmed Hodgson is unlikely to be available for selection prior to the start of the Tri-Nations, while Elsom will be sidelined for a still to be determined period in order to allow his injured knee to settle.

“It’s unfortunate for both Matt and Rocky, but we’ll give them all of the time that they need to come right,” Deans says.

“In Rocky’s case, his is an injury that has developed over time and he has been playing on it for a while which probably hasn’t helped. Mentally Rocky has returned to Australia good to go, but examinations have shown that the damage, in terms of the bruising in behind his right knee, was a little bit worse than was first thought. Because of that, we now need to unload the knee and give it sufficient time to settle down.”

Deans said there was no specific time-line on when Elsom would be available, although he did concede that the 26-year-old might not be in a position to add to the 40 Test caps that he has earned to date until the start of the Tri-Nations.

The promotion of O’Connor into this weekend’s starting line-up had always been planned for some point during opening stages of the Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series, and did not reflect any disappointment in the performance of Ashley-Cooper at the SFS.

Flyhalf Matt Giteau and reserve halfback Josh Valentine both appear on Saturday night as Western Force players within the Wallabies squad, but will be back in Canberra next year on the playing staff of the Brumbies.

Italy arrived in Australia last week to begin its preparations for the two-Test series and Deans is advising against under-estimating the visitors.

“They showed last year in Padova, where they came within 10 minutes of beating us, what they are capable of,” Deans says.

“The Italians will have brought the belief from that performance with them, and will be looking to add to it. Far from being daunted, they will be excited by the opportunity that is ahead of them. That will make them a dangerous opponent.”

Deans noted the return to the pre-ELV laws relating to the rolling maul, where defending teams are no longer allowed to pull the maul down, would assist the Italians.

“They are a physical side so the change to that aspect of the game will suit their playing style,” he says.

“While the set pieces loosened up at times last weekend, which was to be expected in a Barbarians-style contest; this week we are in for a stern examination in those areas – we’ve no doubts about that!”

The Qantas Wallabies team to play Italy in the Bundaberg Rum Rugby Series at Canberra Stadium on Saturday 13 June (7.35pm kick off), is:

15. James O’Connor (Western Force)
14. Lachie Turner (NSW Waratahs)
13. Stirling Mortlock (Brumbies, captain)
12. Berrick Barnes (Queensland Reds)
11. Drew Mitchell (Western Force)
10. Matt Giteau (Brumbies)
9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
8. Richard Brown (Western Force)
7. George Smith (Brumbies)
6. Dean Mumm (NSW Waratahs)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds)
3. Al Baxter (NSW Waratahs)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. Benn Robinson (NSW Waratahs)

Run on reserves:
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. Ben Alexander (Brumbies)
18. Peter Kimlin
(Brumbies)
19. David Pocock (Western Force)
20. Josh Valentine (Western Force)
21. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
22. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)

Australia v Italy – Historical Notes

* This is the 11th official Test between Australia and Italy dating back to the inaugural match at Rovigo in 1983. Australia won that game 29-7 and has prevailed in every contest since. Four of these have been played on Australian soil.

* Italy last appeared in Australia four years ago when beaten 69-21 in Melbourne. That is the highest score the Wallabies have recorded against the European Six Nations member nation. Just four members of the Australian starting line-up from that evening remain in the side – skipper Stirling Mortlock, flyhalf Matt Giteau, lock Nathan Sharpe and prop Al Baxter. Hooker Stephen Moore appeared off the bench.

* Eleven members of the Qantas Wallabies squad named today for the match featured in the most recent meeting between the two sides, at Padova last November, when Australia broke a 20-20 deadlock late in the game to record a 30-20 win. Lachie Turner and Quade Cooper both scored their first Test tries in that match.

* Matt Giteau starts his fifth Test against Italy just 12 points behind Michael Lynagh’s career tally of 46, which is the most for the Wallabies against Italy.

* No Italian player has ever scored more than one try in a Test match against Australia.

* Qantas Wallabies skipper Stirling Mortlock will play his 77th Test, tying team-mate Phil Waugh as the ninth most capped Australian player in history.

* Saturday night will represent the third Test appearance by the Qantas Wallabies at Canberra Stadium, following on from a 74-0 win over Tonga in a Rugby World Cup qualifying match in 1998, and a 32-25 victory over Argentina in 2000. Current captain Stirling Mortlock and current assistant-coach Jim Williams both featured on the Wallabies’ playing staff in the 2000 match.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I was just about to post that I thought that the team would be more or less the same for this game. I think the changes will come in the next game, provided we win this one well. I support the continuity approach early in the season to build combos.

I expect we will see a maximum of 4-5 changes for the 2nd match.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think there will be more changes next week with Tuqiri & Hynes to get a run & Mortlock to be rested.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
disco said:
I think there will be more changes next week with Tuqiri & Hynes to get a run & Mortlock to be rested.
I would agree with that - at least see what they can do. They would know what is required - interesting to see if they step up and do it. Hmmm, maybe play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 at last, or do you think Cross will get a run (I forgot if he is in the squad - assuming he is)?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would want to see that backline against the Boks or ABs, it is quick, but lacks a lot of physical presence.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
fatprop said:
I would want to see that backline against the Boks or ABs, it is quick, but lacks a lot of physical presence.

yeah, but the only issue is the back 3. I really think JOC (James O'Connor) has to be there. Too good not too. So you want wingers who you are confident enough will do the off ball work to help him out in pressure times. That's Hynes, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Lote for mine.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
Interested as to why, but for all of the posts prior to the official team, the discussion around the locks / blindside included Mumm, Kimlin and Horwill (and Rocky but he is gone). Do people here not rate Nathan Sharpe? I could understand that last year, but after being dropped he hs come back with a vengence. Contrast that to Horwill who has been dismal in the S14, and only really played well last weekend (I think he should start BTW, as the man has talent). Kimlin is still new at all this, and I think of Mumm as more of a blindside than lock at the moment.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Noddy said:
Anyone know if we are playing for the "Julian Gardner" or "Matt Pini" Cup?

Maybe the Campese Cup - he played club rugby in Italy. He and Naas Botha were the richest amateurs in rugby in those days; but I digress

How about the John Eales Cup - he's 1/4 Italian. Saw him doing his shopping in Mosman on Monday and looking as fit as a trout; but I digress again.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
farva said:
Interested as to why, but for all of the posts prior to the official team, the discussion around the locks / blindside included Mumm, Kimlin and Horwill (and Rocky but he is gone). Do people here not rate Nathan Sharpe? I could understand that last year, but after being dropped he hs come back with a vengence. Contrast that to Horwill who has been dismal in the S14, and only really played well last weekend (I think he should start BTW, as the man has talent). Kimlin is still new at all this, and I think of Mumm as more of a blindside than lock at the moment.

Sharpe's work rate isn't great, Horwill made more tackles (7 more), more runs (2 more) etc

http://www.rugbystats.com.au/matches/rugby/match2204.html

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Sharpe is great in the air, but shit on the ground. Seagulls too much, can't push in scrums.

Status
Not open for further replies.