• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italians

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Lee Grant said:
Noddy said:
Anyone know if we are playing for the "Julian Gardner" or "Matt Pini" Cup?

Maybe the Campese Cup - he played club rugby in Italy. He and Naas Botha were the richest amateurs in rugby in those days; but I digress

How about the John Eales Cup - he's 1/4 Italian. Saw him doing his shopping in Mosman on Monday and looking as fit as a trout; but I digress again.
OT but I saw Whits in Westfield at Bondi Junction late yesterday. Pointed him out to my wife, she said "He looks young to have retired". What does that say about me???

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We were talking about Whits after training tonight - the general consensus after seeing him in the Baabaas colours? Still the best Australian halfback going around, and by some distance.

Whits, if you're listening: We need a good scrumhalf at the Renegades!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Whit's passing on Saturday night was beautifully accurate, as ever. But he seems to have lost a bit in the physical stakes, I can't recall him challenging the opposition once with a well-timed run. But his passes, lovely to watch.

The urgency and physicality Burgess brings to the team is exactly what Deans wants. If only we could tack Whits' passing on to Burgess' physicality and speed.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
This debate will obviously never stop.

NTA - I saw a similar comment in the Blog and can't figure out how you get there watching them in the same match.

Even though Whits was for me the best BaaBaa on the field, he still didn't shade Burgess on Sat.

Look at the hit Burgess put on SBW (a game changer I reckon) the breaks he made and the speed at the breakdown. His passing was also more than adequate.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Firstly, it wasn't a hit. Secondly, Burgess had help - part of SBW's momentum was stopped by another player getting him around the hips. It was a good tackle but hardly a defining moment. If you reckon the Wallabies would have lost after conceding first points against that rabble, hand in your yellow scarf and passport, and go to NZ ;)

Who was there to take the quick taps for the BB try?
Who was there dragging Mitchell down as he scored?
Who was giving McAlister enough accurate ball to ship onto SBW as hospital passes?

Burgess wasn't bad, but he was no Whits.

Cutter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
NTA said:
Firstly, it wasn't a hit. Secondly, Burgess had help - part of SBW's momentum was stopped by another player getting him around the hips. It was a good tackle but hardly a defining moment. If you reckon the Wallabies would have lost after conceding first points against that rabble, hand in your yellow scarf and passport, and go to NZ ;)

Who was there to take the quick taps for the BB try?
Who was there dragging Mitchell down as he scored?
Who was giving McAlister enough accurate ball to ship onto SBW as hospital passes?

Burgess wasn't bad, but he was no Whits.

Whits made the tackle on Mitchell but the outcome is the same as if he hadnt been there. Burgess' tackle on SBW was a corker. Once a player like that is through the first line of defence they are very hard to stop. SBW wasnt just stopped, he was driven back and, ultimately, it forced a turnover. I agree with Gagger that those type of things can be game changing.

naza

Alan Cameron (40)
Gagger said:
This debate will obviously never stop.

NTA - I saw a similar comment in the Blog and can't figure out how you get there watching them in the same match.

Even though Whits was for me the best BaaBaa on the field, he still didn't shade Burgess on Sat.

First lesson of the Scarf - there is no end to the ridiculous bullshit that dribbles from a certain Rouse Hill Renegade.

Whitaker looked ancient and decrepit. He went straight from the game to the nursing home.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
NTA said:
If you reckon the Wallabies would have lost after conceding first points against that rabble, hand in your yellow scarf and passport, and go to NZ ;)

Hehe, no the Wallabies would have still won, but with that try the BaaBaas would have had their dander up and proven more of a handfull no doubt, probably giving us a scare in the first half. Queue the usual scrappy wobble in the first game.

Instead their big man got put on his arse and we ended up scoring down the other end. From that I reckon it was a game changer, not necessarily a game winner

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Gagger said:
NTA said:
If you reckon the Wallabies would have lost after conceding first points against that rabble, hand in your yellow scarf and passport, and go to NZ ;)

Hehe, no the Wallabies would have still won, but with that try the BaaBaas would have had their dander up and proven more of a handfull no doubt, probably giving us a scare in the first half. Queue the usual scrappy wobble in the first game.

Instead their big man got put on his arse and we ended up scoring down the other end. From that I reckon it was a game changer, not necessarily a game winner

I thought Burgess's tackle was terrific. Equally terrific was Williams' offload in the tackle, which was caught by a teammate. Pretty hard to ascribe a later turnover or Wallaby try to Burgess' tackle.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I'm not ascribing the try to Burgess' tackle. Just putting forward that this sequence of scoring changed the course of the game.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I agree with Gagger. I thought Burgess was great whilst Whits was serviceable. Perhaps hed get a start with the Brums, but couldn't see him ousting any of the other state 9s.

F

formeropenside

Biffo said:
Gagger said:
NTA said:

I thought Burgess's tackle was terrific. Equally terrific was Williams' offload in the tackle, which was caught by a teammate. Pretty hard to ascribe a later turnover or Wallaby try to Burgess' tackle.

It was a great tackle, but SBW was running far too upright - he should have been diving for the line from where he was. I guess he wanted to stroll over and put the ball down nonchanlantly.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I thought he was too upright as well, but on second viewing I believe it was because he just stepped (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?) back on the inside. Burgess just hit him a the right time.

NTA

Burgess was better than Whits, but Whits is still good.

I am looking forward to seeing Genia, who I believe has both the running and passing game, with pretty good front on defence thrown in there.

eddo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Scotty said:
I thought he was too upright as well, but on second viewing I believe it was because he just stepped (AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)?) back on the inside. Burgess just hit him a the right time.

It was mitchell who resembled a turnstile at that moment. never even attempted to put out an arm.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Craig Gower has been named to make his international rugby union debut at five eighth for Italy against the Wallabies in Canberra on Saturday.

Coach Nick Mallett has shown great faith in the former Australian rugby league Test player, handing him the play-making role for the Azzurri after just two seasons in French club rugby.

Gower is joined in the Italian team by fellow Australian-born player Luke McLean, who is at fullback for his ninth cap.

Italy: Luke McLean, Kaine Robertson, Mirco Bergamasco, Matteo Pratichetti, Alberto Sgarbi, Craig Gower, Pablo Canavosio. Forwards: Sergio Parisse (capt), Mauro Bergamasco, Alessandro Zanni, Carlo Antonio Del Fava, Quintin Geldenhuys, Fabio Staibano, Leonardo Ghiraldini, Salvatore Perugini. Res: Franco Sbaraglini, Ignacio Rouyet, Marco Bortolami, Paul Derbyshire, Tito Tebaldi, Kristopher Burton, Gonzalo Garcia.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
maybe play AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 at last, or do you think Cross will get a run (I forgot if he is in the squad - assuming he is)?

I wouldn't mind seeing AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13 or the wing next week but it depends on injuries & who we rest as I know that whatever side runs out against France it will be our strongest so we may as well make a few changes against Italy in game 2.

I am looking forward to seeing Genia, who I believe has both the running and passing game, with pretty good front on defence thrown in there.

Likewise, will he be fit for the Tri-Nations? If yes do you thinks he's a chance of making the squad or will Deans wait for an injury or EOYT.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Funny how, whenever someone on here defends Burgess, a line of people will form to tell you what Burgess did wrong e.g. he still fucked up a few passes in this game and probably didn't hit the mark as well as Benn Robinson in terms of % ruck ball making its target.

Yet, when you try to defend someone who, at the peak of his powers, was still twice as good as Burgess has been so far, they'll drag you down there too ...

:nta:

Lot of short poppies around here.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
cyclopath said:
Lee Grant said:
Noddy said:
Anyone know if we are playing for the "Julian Gardner" or "Matt Pini" Cup?

Maybe the Campese Cup - he played club rugby in Italy. He and Naas Botha were the richest amateurs in rugby in those days; but I digress

How about the John Eales Cup - he's 1/4 Italian. Saw him doing his shopping in Mosman on Monday and looking as fit as a trout; but I digress again.
OT but I saw Whits in Westfield at Bondi Junction late yesterday. Pointed him out to my wife, she said "He looks young to have retired". What does that say about me???

That you're breaching the terms of the barring order he got out against you - again...?

Status
Not open for further replies.