• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italians

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Spook

NTA said:
Funny how, whenever someone on here defends Burgess, a line of people will form to tell you what Burgess did wrong e.g. he still fucked up a few passes in this game and probably didn't hit the mark as well as Benn Robinson in terms of % ruck ball making its target.

Yet, when you try to defend someone who, at the peak of his powers, was still twice as good as Burgess has been so far, they'll drag you down there too ...

:nta:

Lot of short poppies around here.

One word: Gregan

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
31-8 to the good guys.

A patchy, uninspiring game. But it occurred to me during the second half- has there ever been a game involving Italy that is free-flowing and beautiful? Not that I can remember.

We played clinical footy, with Gits, Barnes, JOC (James O'Connor) and Morty all standouts. The one player I thought played badly- Smith. Just played the crappy, chip-over-the-top rugby that he decides to play from time to time (and I know he never actually put a chip in but you know what I mean). Yeah he made a few turnovers but dropped the ball at least 4 times and gave away at least 2 penalties.

No serious injuries, a good winning margin. I think that's all we could have hoped for.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Agree barbarian.
Those you named were good.
Smith did some good things, but more dud things especially in the 2nd half.
Moore was good I thought, the others up front a bit anonymous - especially Brown and Mumm. The breakdown work was scrappy, the set pieces okay, but a few loose scrums and lineouts. Remember the Italian pack are no mugs.
I really think we need Palu when fit, and would not play Smith and Pocock as we did in the 2nd spell. We need to keep a proper 6 on, put Pocock on for Smith as a straight sub (or vice-versa, whoever starts). Alexander had a hard time at THP tonight, but will be better for it.
I am really happy to see the backs showing some efficiency in attack.
10-12-13 look a killer combo. Turner and Mitchell are doing well enough, we have Hynes and Tuqiri in reserve there. JOC (James O'Connor) is freakish. The kicking is so far ahead of last year's dire rubbish, I cannot believe it. I really wish Genia was around, as Burgess is patchy still - good at times, then dreadfully slow getting the pill free at others. I wouldn't drop him, but would love to have seen Genia get a go. Same for Digby.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yeah, should have added Moore to the standout list Cyclo.

And I totally agree- we miss Palu badly, and probably Elsom as well. I didn't even know Mumm was playing until he was subbed.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Yeah, fp, he's been thrown in, but I hope he'll gain from it, and as long as it isn't expected he'll be sorted in 3 months then all the better.

S

Spook

Was Alexander or Robinson Tight head? Either way, we need a decent tight head on the bench. Smith overplayed his hand, dropped too much ball and gave way penalties - some great turn overs and offloads though. Brown and Mumm were completely ineffective I thought. We need Palu and Elsom back.

Burgess is starting to dither too often.

I wasn't happy with how easily the Azzuri forwards got over the gain line.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
fatprop said:
Shame Alexander has to get his schooling in THP play on TV.

Literally - when Mortlock (I think) was being interviewed after the game you could see Baxter and Alexander in the background with the old bull giving out the tips.

I thought Giteau, Barnes and Rabbit were teriffic. As for Mortlock's try: the only thing missing was his Superman cape and his underpants not being outside his playing shorts. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) looked bloody sharp when he got a gig, but for a knock-on. JOC (James O'Connor) means our depth increases. Agree on Moore also. With big Cliffy not there he put in a few bruiser runs.

That's one difference between Moore and the wannabies (except TPN) of the Super 14. He can take up the ball in traffic. The young guns like Fainga'a, Fitzpatrick, and others in their early 20s who are looking a few years ahead, but who still have to take care shaving in rugby terms, need to go through the furnace a few times and end up on the other side where they will find Moore.

Agree on the improvement in the kicking game. When I watched one dud one I was quite surprised considering what had gone before.

Thought Gower was fairly decent taking into account the scrummie he had in the first half.

Spook - Robbo is a LHP only.

Forget about anybody who has missed playing in the last two games and is not called up for the 22 next week.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Spook said:
Burgess is starting to dither too often.

Burgess dithers when no one calls for the ball, when we lose shape and structure (as we did again last night) all of a sudden he has no one to pass to who actually wants the ball.

S

Spook

Lee Grant said:
That's one difference between Moore and the wannabies (except TPN) of the Super 14. He can take up the ball in traffic. The young guns like Fainga'a, Fitzpatrick, and others in their early 20s who are looking a few years ahead, but who still have to take care shaving in rugby terms, need to go through the furnace a few times and end up on the other side where they will find Moore.

TPN and Moore appear to be a lot bigger than any of our other hookers. They are also blessed with mobility. Not a bad combination :thumb

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Robinson was LHP all night. Don't believe he's ever played THP at S14 or Test level.

There were some moments of brilliance - and not just individual brilliance but genuine team work.

The most pleasing aspect of the two games so far are our kicking game:

cyclopath said:
The kicking is so far ahead of last year's dire rubbish, I cannot believe it.

What he said :thumb

I had to laugh when Smith did the "what me ref?" arms and facial gesture when he went into a tackle area at right angles :lmao: Rest of his game wasn't quite at his high standard but he can't win all of them I suppose. I'd like to see Pocock start the next one to see if his harder at-the-ball approach takes the sting out of the Eyeties at the ruck.

Biffo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Let's get in in perspective. Noone - team or individual - ever looks good against the Italians.

Costa Lotty said that Deans was going to flog the Wallabies before the Barbarians game. That flogging will prove mild compared with what the Wallabies need before the 3N.

S

Spook

Biffo said:
Let's get in in perspective. Noone - team or individual - ever looks good against the Italians.

Costa Lotty said that Deans was going to flog the Wallabies before the Barbarians game. That flogging will prove mild compared with what the Wallabies need before the 3N.

Mike%20Murphy%20whip%20cracking%20at%20the%20nationals-medium.jpg

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
cyclopath said:
.I really wish Genia was around, as Burgess is patchy still - good at times, then dreadfully slow getting the pill free at others.

I agree that the slow ball was bloody frustrating and it looks like we weren't the only ones.

As said by Dingo Deans in a good article on the front page:
http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/deans-happy-with-the-win-–-sort-of/

“The Italians spent a fair bit of time on the ball (slowing it down) and we weren’t always efficient at moving those bodies, so if we want to play a little bit more expansively we’ll have to recycle the ball more effectively.”

“It won’t be easy as they’ll go into the next game with the same mentality of trying to deny us that momentum, so we’ll put in a fair bit of work in that area this week”

Not sure we can lay that all at Burgos door

Status
Not open for further replies.