• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
My fucking ass you’ve seen Phipps play that good in gold 25 times. Gordon was unspectacular but did his core job of passing the ball well and more importantly didnt do any major game altering fuck ups like Phipps does nearly every time he gets on the field
Such an exaggeration. Phipps is no where near as bad as people make out. Same with Foley and every other Tah that's ever donned a Gold jersey.

That said, i prefer Gordon with his running game.

You'd think after however many years Folau would have learnt, well, anything about playing rugby. Never takes the ball to ground, can't kick, no real positional sense. Still just a crazy good league winger playing union.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Such an exaggeration. Phipps is no where near as bad as people make out. Same with Foley and every other Tah that's ever donned a Gold jersey.

It’s got nothing to do with who a player plays for, if you haven’t cottoned on yet I go for the Tahs. But can you legitimately honest to god think to yourself and go yep I can think of 10 occasions when Phipps has been playing for the wallabies and
thought “ damn he played well today” because I can’t think of 5 occasions where I haven’t sworn at my tv for him screwing up something horribly

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I think the player ratings on rugby.com.au are a good summation of my thoughts on the To'omua/Foley experiment:

10. Matt To'omua 6
Threw a lovely pass in the lead up to Koroibete's second try but kept kicking the ball down the throat of the Italian back three and put one ball out on the full. Hardly a performance which will convince Michael Cheika to retain him as the starting flyhalf against England.
12. Bernard Foley 4.5
Did not look comfortable at all in his new role as inside centre. Pushed too many passes and his general play kicking wasn't sharp enough. Back to flyhalf next weekend.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Just as an aside, I was talking to a former Wallaby wing/13 yesterday and I asked him his thoughts on who should be at 12 next week. He thinks we should play Kerevi & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres given the circumstances. Given AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s solid performance last night I'm thinking that Cheika might be tempted to do just that.

I don't necessarily think that an ex elite player's view is any more valid than anyone else's but it's always interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who's been there.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
You'd think after however many years Folau would have learnt, well, anything about playing rugby. Never takes the ball to ground, can't kick, no real positional sense. Still just a crazy good league winger playing union.
He was definitely the main culprit of the hospital passes last night.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
In the current position we are in we are badly needing a few guys to stand up and grab their jersey with both hands, I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) did that (as well as Kerevi).

Having said that I would be perfectly happy if next week they were 12 & 13 instead.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
In the current position we are in we are badly needing a few guys to stand up and grab their jersey with both hands, I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) did that (as well as Kerevi).

Having said that I would be perfectly happy if next week they were 12 & 13 instead.
I never considered AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) a genuine option prior to the match but he exceeded my expectations by a great deal. We could do a lot worse than 10. To'omua, 12. Kerevi, 13. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) next week.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)

That said, i prefer Gordon with his running game.

Yeh have to agree...but because he is bloody good league winger playing union will still happily have him....lots of good things about him as super star athlete and footballer but his lack of union pedigree is his deficiency but such a talented athlete we preserve because his other talents make it worthwhile.....but yes to be the true world class top 5 player in the world would need to address those deficiencies....will he...don't know...would be good if he could as mean get even more value out of him...but at same time who would seriously drop him from starting (at least as a winger)…..not many....

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

Yes, although given the ratings are largely critical of both players I don't think they are designed to sell any false truths. If the article was titled 'Cheika's To'omua/Foley experiment a resounding success' I would be a bit more sceptical!

It is however just one person's opinion.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I agree with you dru and I think you’ve got those Brumby Runner goggles on BR.

BR maybe being a little too kind to in his appraisal of To'omua's performance but I think he's been pretty balanced overall in complimenting those, like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), who he and many others (myself included) were skeptical of pregame. Contrast this with some of the tripe on the frontpage where the whole performance is being denigrated because they'd rather see the Wallabies lose than have to give credit to some of Cheika's selections. If you're really of a mindset where you're hoping the Wallabies lose to spite the coaching setup I'm not sure why you're putting yourself through the pain of watching (a similar point was made by Barbarian in the Irish series).

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
BR maybe being a little too kind to in his appraisal of To'omua's performance but I think he's been pretty balanced overall in complimenting those, like AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), who he and many others (myself included) were skeptical of pregame. Contrast this with some of the tripe on the frontpage where the whole performance is being denigrated because they'd rather see the Wallabies lose than have to give credit to some of Cheika's selections. If you're really of a mindset where you're hoping the Wallabies lose to spite the coaching setup I'm not sure why you're putting yourself through the pain of watching (a similar point was made by Barbarian in the Irish series).

Yes, I agree with most of BR's other observations in his post, as you say I just thought his assessments of both To'omua (fantastic) and Foley (worst test ever) were overstated. Couldn't agree more with the rest of your post either.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Yes, although given the ratings are largely critical of both players I don't think they are designed to sell any false truths. If the article was titled 'Cheika's To'omua/Foley experiment a resounding success' I would be a bit more sceptical!

It is however just one person's opinion.
That's the title of the article I'm writing tonight!

Reactions: dru

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Yeh have to agree.but because he is bloody good league winger playing union will still happily have him..lots of good things about him as super star athlete and footballer but his lack of union pedigree is his deficiency but such a talented athlete we preserve because his other talents make it worthwhile...but yes to be the true world class top 5 player in the world would need to address those deficiencies..will he.don't know.would be good if he could as mean get even more value out of him.but at same time who would seriously drop him from starting (at least as a winger)…..not many..

Unusual for top 5 back-three players to get run down from behind with a clear run to the line. I know he never had top speed but it seems to have deteriorated.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Unusual for top 5 back-three players to get run down from behind with a clear run to the line. I know he never had top speed but it seems to have deteriorated.

I think he was in 3rd gear (which I found odd). I still think you can be a top 5 back three player and not be lightning, Ioane was run down by Cam Clark and he'd be nearly the world's best winger.

Silverado

Dick Tooth (41)
To'omua went well at 10.

Foley should never play 12 at international level again. Ever.

Gordon a much better option that Phipps.

Referee was ordinary, but then again so were both teams.

Glad I got up early and watched NZ v Ireland before sitting through this tripe.
To'omua went well? Agree with the rest

jimmydubs

Dave Cowper (27)
So what happens if pococks out?
I though both dempsey and samu were completely anonymous last night. And any combo of them, hooper, ned is going to be in trouble next week.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Just as an aside, I was talking to a former Wallaby wing/13 yesterday and I asked him his thoughts on who should be at 12 next week. He thinks we should play Kerevi & AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in the centres given the circumstances. Given AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)'s solid performance last night I'm thinking that Cheika might be tempted to do just that.

I don't necessarily think that an ex elite player's view is any more valid than anyone else's but it's always interesting to hear the thoughts of someone who's been there.

Not more valid, but something that has more strength behind it.

Status
Not open for further replies.