• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Italy

Status
Not open for further replies.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I’m not calling for Petaia to be blooded against England. The opportunity for him was against Italy and, unfortunately, he lucked out.

However when you are talking ‘brain power’ I am assuming you mean things like instincts, good decision making and good communication.

I know Petaia is a big, powerful body, but it’s his decision making and composure (in attack & defence) which makes him stand out.

He is 18. Instincts might be good even exceptional for 18. But not AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) level - give the boy a few years.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just came to say that the Wallabies kicking game is bizarre. They kick like it is 1995. No contested box kicks, few kicks along the touch line, just sitting in the pocket and punting it down the middle of the field.

Tactical kicking in Australian rugby has atrophied to the point where we just bang it down the field and hope the opposition knocks on or makes an error.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
It was evident that the Wallabies second row wasn’t working effectively with the Brumbies front row at scrum time... This second row team after numerous test matches together should be working together by now. This will be an issue against the English scrum. EJ (Eddie Jones) will target this weakness, Why its not working as a unit need attention ASAP.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
Furthermore Folau is too slow to be on the wing and should now be moved to 13 before the World Cup. Or back to 15. My preference is use his physical strength and dexterity at 13. Play younger faster men on the wings... This will add more danger to the Wallabies... if we have to move Beale back to 15 so be it...

Cheika has tested the big barging winger but this hasn’t provided genuine speed to support line breaks, Wallabies have nobody there when it happens... The Wallabies have a backline of 13s style players with not enough pace... time to see the big picture Cheika, to why your team can’t score of line breaks...

He is so under pressure now he can’t see why it’s not working on the field as a unit... in the set piece or backline shape... attack needs both strength, speed and vision...

I don’t believe these new young guys don’t have it, they just need opportunity to engage and fire up....
Aka Maddocks, Petaia and Banks back these young men now

B

Bobby Sands

Furthermore Folau is too slow to be on the wing and should now be moved to 13 before the World Cup. Or back to 15. My preference is use his physical strength and dexterity at 13. Play younger faster men on the wings. This will add more danger to the Wallabies. if we have to move Beale back to 15.

But then you lose his work in the air in both attack and defense.

Mudslider

Allen Oxlade (6)
But then you lose his work in the air in both attack and defense.
Beale DPH or Banks all good in the air... the current big wingers aren’t good in the air often Our scrum half Genia is covering them...
But if you’re referring to Foluas attack I think it’s already gone as a speedster ... but his has strength and a good physical step, certainly can be a winner for us there... he is just aging or isn’t putting in enough sprint work so 13 works for him now a as team player. Please don’t get me wrong we need him on the field but engaging as the threat more aka sonny bills good days...
The crazy thing is Cheika is looking at a 34 year old guy AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to do this when Folau could be a world number 1 Centre...

dru

Tim Horan (67)
It was evident that the Wallabies second row wasn’t working effectively with the Brumbies front row at scrum time. This second row team after numerous test matches together should be working together by now. This will be an issue against the English scrum. EJ (Eddie Jones) will target this weakness, Why its not working as a unit need attention ASAP.

MS, I have missed this. Any chance you can expand? I actually thought our scrum was solid but lost the kidology battle with the ref.

As a side note that second row was awesome in the line out. Dominant even in defensive lines. So unprecedented was this situation that noone on the field had the nous to say "hey stuff these kicks up the guts, go for touch and the ball is ours!"

Status
Not open for further replies.