• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Pumas, Bankwest (Parra), Sat 5th December

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I get this point, and it's been repeated by AAA in a media conference.

But come on, there is no way that losing their captain is a positive. They are playing their fourth game in four weeks. The Wallabies should win this game.

Now they may not do that, or make hard work of it, but let's not pretend that there's not a very very large possibility that the Argies won't be nearly as good as they were two weeks ago.

We are just as likely to revert to the standard of the opposition, loses our shape and make my night quite miserable

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The issue is not age. Is about time since the offence. And growth of an individual.

The time that has passed since he wrote the tweets is irrelevant. It has only become public in the last 24 hours so that is the relevant timing. UAR don't get to avoid any of the repercussions for Argentinian rugby now because they're old tweets. Their captain has just now been embroiled in a racism controversy.

The current climate doesn't provide for forgiveness or understanding, only removing the evil from society while the righteous celebrate the cleansing

Oh of course it does. Your position seems to be that he should face literally zero consequences because it was so long ago yet his employer is absolutely going to face consequences commercially, especially if they don't take any action. It's news now because it has only just come to light and has consequences for those associated with him right now.

This is not going to be the end of his rugby career. Maybe he won't captain the Pumas again but I'd be pretty sure he'll be back playing test rugby for them in the first test they play next year.

Matera will be forgiven. He has shown plenty of contrition so far and I am sure will work hard to rehabilitate his image.

There is clearly more scrutiny now because twitter was much smaller back in 2012. If one of our key under 20s players made racist posts online whilst they were representing Australia do you really think there wouldn't be consequences?

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
If one of our key under 20s players made racist posts online whilst they were representing Australia do you really think there wouldn't be consequences?

Good point. Matera made those comments at the same age Lolesio is now, not quite a kid with no accountability is he.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Whole thing is sad, I agree it can't be ignored, and there has to be consequences, they seemed pretty offensive. I will be real honest and say probably myself (and I suspect many other posters on here) wouldn't care as much that he is stood down etc except it is going to ruin our enjoyment a fair bit on Saturday night. If we read he had been stood down against Italy, England etc, would probably have got half a line in someone's post, and probably all said well deserved punishment. Really we are all a little shallow aren't we.

VassMan

Darby Loudon (17)
What did the other two players do to get stood down? Involved in the Matera tweets or something completely separate?

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I get this point, and it's been repeated by AAA in a media conference.

But come on, there is no way that losing their captain is a positive. They are playing their fourth game in four weeks. The Wallabies should win this game.

Now they may not do that, or make hard work of it, but let's not pretend that there's not a very very large possibility that the Argies won't be nearly as good as they were two weeks ago.
Well - I wasn’t meaning to suggest there isn’t a possibility of that and I don’t think my post necessarily implies I think this is a net positive. Even without this happening I feel there was a distinct possibility that this game may have been a bridge too far - particularly if the Wallabies got off to a good start. But it isn’t a given. That’s why we love sport, isn’t it.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well - I wasn’t meaning to suggest there isn’t a possibility of that and I don’t think my post necessarily implies I think this is a net positive. Even without this happening I feel there was a distinct possibility that this game may have been a bridge too far - particularly if the Wallabies got off to a good start. But it isn’t a given. That’s why we love sport, isn’t it.
I really hope not. Last test of the season I don't want to see another tight, grinding contest. I just want to see some fireworks from Petaia and Tom Wright out wide with 'Nela running over guys in the tight and Wilson throwing outrageous flick passes. Miss me with scrum resets and attempts to wind down the clock with a lead of 6 points.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think maybe my original point has been missed. I was merely trying to point out I was really looking forward to the game.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
First and last serious comment on this:

Step out of the culture war world an into the real world. What else to UAR do? They're the junior junior partner in the Rugby Championship and their captain has been found to have said things that probably get you gaoled in South Africa. Race politics may be ugly and weaponised in that part of the world but it is what it is.

Do you suggest UAR shrugs it off and gives the feeble 'he was only 20!' defence? How does that go down with SARU and the South African government?

Spare the crocodile tears for the comment section underneath the inevitable Alan Jones spittle-flecked opinion piece.

Absolutely . Regardless of how long ago it was, he was still an adult and there are consequences for poor behaviour, especially for professional athletes who also are paid to represent brands and companies.

I can’t disagree with what UAR have done, the issue was brought to their attention so they had to act.

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
On the game, anything less then a 15 point win by the wallabies would be a disappointment. Argentina have played 4 massive games in a row, have lost 3 players including their captain, and are in a extremely vulnerable state.

Wallabies have no injury concerns with JOC (James O'Connor) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) both fit again, and should be feeling fresh. On social media they’re all smashing out PBs in the gym, so fatigue from the season length doesn’t seem a concern.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
We are just as likely to revert to the standard of the opposition, loses our shape and make my night quite miserable

jimcworse.jpg

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
On the game, anything less then a 15 point win by the wallabies would be a disappointment. Argentina have played 4 massive games in a row, have lost 3 players including their captain, and are in a extremely vulnerable state.

Wallabies have no injury concerns with JOC (James O'Connor) and LSL (Lukhan Salakaia-Loto) both fit again, and should be feeling fresh. On social media they’re all smashing out PBs in the gym, so fatigue from the season length doesn’t seem a concern.
Shhh...these are the sort of completely winnable games we find new ways to lose...

TSR

Mark Ella (57)

Just promise me you aren’t Paul Gallen

Zero_Cool

Arch Winning (36)
What's Rennie doing with Hodge?
O'Connor is still (IMO) the form 10, especially with the Hunter/Jordie centre combination. So we play Hodge at 15, or dump Wright to play him at 11?

Spruce Moose

Fred Wood (13)
O'Connor is still (IMO) the form 10, especially with the Hunter/Jordie centre combination. So we play Hodge at 15, or dump Wright to play him at 11?

Would expect Hodge 15 and Banks Bench or the other way round?

Wonder if Rennie will go for 6/2 Bench now JOC (James O'Connor) is back and have Hodge as cover.....

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

He is definitely the form 10......... having not played in over six weeks.