• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
And passed the ball straight over the side line, and made a mess of the pop pass to Izzy that should have been a try. Simply, not up to test standard.

Compared with all the incredible poise showed by Cooper's inept tactical kicking, inability to take the line on and continual indecision in passing?

To'omua for Cooper, but Gits deserves another go. Had a couple lapses, but we looked pretty sharp with him at times as well and he made a massive break that should have led to a try. Just lacks a bit of polish, but he sure as shit looks like he knows what he's doing out there more than Cooper.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
What is wrong with you guys - there was some scatchy combo's but giteau showed enough hei is in the mix

Me: I worked out that pocock, hooper, Phipps giteau, To'omua are in the mix - when they were on together they were good. in terms of combinations

Question marks as to whether higgers, genia, cooper and skelton deserve a start - bench options more so at this point.....Mccalum back in the mix?or start both hooper or pocock?..latter tidied up breakdown which was weak...

Man is skelton weak in the scrum - exposed at test level as he was on last EOYT.

Much better when horwill came on....skelton strong in general play but weak in key areas for lock to be successful ie scrimmaging and lineout..

Next

T

Train Without a Station

Compared with all the incredible poise showed by Cooper's inept tactical kicking, inability to take the line on and continual indecision in passing?

To'omua for Cooper, but Gits deserves another go. Had a couple lapses, but we looked pretty sharp with him at times as well and he made a massive break that should have led to a try. Just lacks a bit of polish, but he sure as shit looks like he knows what he's doing out there more than Cooper.

You know Cooper is the one in his 5th game
Of 2015 right? If Giteau lacks polish he ain't gonna get there. He's come off a full season.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
now ive calmed down a bit i'm going to try and post some more coherentish thoughts, but the celebrationy drinks might skew that.

i'm not sure that the criticism of either cooper or gits is justified, given how genia (and lets be honest some of the forwards) were cruelling their options. the only real answer for me in this is that genia is not a starting 9 atm, and after tonight as much as might grind my teeth as i type this but white might be a better option off the bench.

there's a few phrases i'm sick of hearing about and tonight really brought that home. i don't want to hear about potential. i don't want to hear about past performances. i don't want to hear about x factor.

i'd like to see phipps + cooper + To'omua, as i already know what foley in that combo can deliver, especially on some front foot ball. given this combo, i'm pretty sure that beale shouldn't be in the 23, as mitchell and gits offer more for the type of game we need. i thought horwill was great off the bench, but i'd really like to see him off the bench when he's frothing at the mouth.

one thing that was particularly evident was which players cannot be trained out of bad habits in time for the rwc, namely genia (box kick, step/pass) and higgers. i'm thinking that we will see a revision on actual standing of some of the fringe players after tonight's performance and i wouldn't be surprised to see changes prior to rwc, which is a great outcome as we are starting to show some depth across the park and bench simultaneously.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Cooper was by and large shovelling the ball tonight. Don't get me wrong, they weren't bad passes by any means, but calling them crisp or slick or any other synonym is a bit delusional.

His inside ball that set-up the first try was slick. There was an obvious game-plan to get it out wide early.

Don't think Cooper was bad by any means.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
You know Cooper is the one in his 5th game
Of 2015 right? If Giteau lacks polish he ain't gonna get there. He's come off a full season.

It's the first hit out for all of them together, but Gits was a heck of a lot closer than Cooper.

I just don't trust Cooper in a test match. His Harlem Globetrotter bullshit just isn't for that arena.

Maybe bring him on in the last 20 to jazz things up once he's got his legs back, but he shouldn't start.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Higginbotham will probably not play another Test. Was invisible and only popped up to bomb a certain try.. don't understand why Cheika didn't just start with the Hooper & Pocock.

My changes for the best XV (not the next game):

Sio & Holmes to start
Skelton to the bench
Pocock & Hooper with Fardy.
Phipps to start, To'omua for Giteau.

Horwill was good, best Test in years.
But...... but x factor ......... McCalman is a trundler and workhorse, and Higgers is a steed.

Not a great game plenty of missed opportunities; breakdown work was sloppy/inefficient; defence in the wider channels was poor; was lateral too often in attack, and the Boks' kicking game and kick-chase was excellent.

Our bench, though, was the difference between the two teams, when last year it was our achilles heel.

In regards to the last try, it looked to me like it wouldn't be given; the ball looked held up, and the 'contact' with the grass was, in my mind, minimal.

I wasn't overly surprised when it was awarded though. We were on attack for the better part of the 2nd half, so advantage ought to be given to the attacking team ;)

The fact a Kiwi TMO gave it should quell any whinging from across the Indian Ocean.

Plenty to work on for the games against the Argies and ABs.

G

galumay

I can't believe people think QC (Quade Cooper) should get another chance after that game. You would need seriously red tinted glasses to see it that way! Git's might be worth trying again, it's so long since he played at this level. I doubt he is our best option though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
Giteau didn't "show" anything. Yeah, he passed the ball a bunch of times to other players and he made one break. Big deal. He still can't carry the ball across the advantage line because he's too bloody small, which has been an issue for his entire test career, and he's not a dominant defender (in contrast to To'omua). He's an oustanding S15/T14 player because you can get away with a hell of a lot more at that level size wise (and in every other respect).

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
TWAS

Are you serious Phipps, cooper, giteau best combo..

Agree with all except cooper

Cooper just not the consistent quality we need and no surprise was pulled with To'omua brought on.

Cooper is just not starting 15 material.....(happy for him to prove me wrong but has not for years)

Giteau, To'omua, Phipps as combo were on fire when they were on....

We need to perhaps look more laterally...

I personally think we stick with giteau, To'omua, Phipps and have foley on the bench or indeed start foley and have either To'omua or giteua on the bench

I dont' want to insult the player as is talented but Cooper whilst flashy is not been consistent for some years....and can't see that changing....

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I have to be straight up here. I'm absolutely chuffed that we won.

It wasn't perfect. It was far from perfect. There were some experiments. Some worked. Some kind of worked. But none failed. This was a great performance by Wallaby standards for the first test of any season, and against a very good Saffer outfit, under the same early-season constraints.

But best of all, it showed balls. Moore chose the penalty kick at the right time, and the corner at the right time. And our mens' nerve held. And we won, after 82 mins.

Dayum! That's fantastic!

Go Wallabies!

T

Train Without a Station

TWAS

Are you serious Phipps, cooper, giteau best combo..

Agree with all except cooper

Cooper just not the consistent quality we need and no surprise was pulled with To'omua brought on.

Cooper is just not starting 15 material...(happy for him to prove me wrong but has not for years)

Giteau, To'omua, Phipps as combo were on fire when they were on..

We need to perhaps look more laterally.

I personally think we stick with giteau, To'omua, Phipps and have foley on the bench or indeed start foley and have either To'omua or giteua on the bench

I dont' want to insult the player as is talented but Cooper whilst flashy is not been consistent for some years..and can't see that changing..

What were his options for 2/3rds of his game?

Slow service from Genia and inability to straighten over the gain line from Giteau.

Do whatever the fuck you want. Leave Giteau there and the next bloke will have the same problems. Genia likewise.

T

Train Without a Station

I love how much personality and perception changes views.

Giteau lost us the ball 3 times at least when he took it but he's worth being persevered with.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
We have had debate about whether pocock and hooper should play together

For me when they were on - and strength of scrum (with horwill replacing skelton as well as that was notably big difference) our scrum was actually much stronger....

Although as what others said - Sio and Holmes were much better quality replacement props than had in the past...

Status
Not open for further replies.