• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v. Springboks, 18th July 2015, Suncorp, Brisbane

Status
Not open for further replies.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
we really got blown away at the breakdown, but mostly by de allende and kriel as well as the bok forwards,
pocock redressed the balance a bit

australian bench terrific
best game from horwill for some time
not great from either cooper nor giteau, but cooper still the most likely to ignite the wallabies and i would persist with him.
To'omua at 12
i would keep higgers, but on the bench

still plenty of work to do

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
If the Boks maintain their discipline we can't beat them. We need the free ride up field from penalty kicks to get close enough to the line for our backs to make the difference.

If we have to rely on the forwards to make the metres we're shot.

Commiseration to the Boks, thought they were the better team overall.

TahDan

Cyril Towers (30)
Higgers will be gone, maybe Skelton to the bench.

Biggest improvement we need for the next game is around the rucks. If we play like that again, we will be lucky to beat anyone.

I love Skelton, but the dude can't scrummage and just doesn't have the impact at this level... maybe a player for the last 20. We were a different team once the bench came on

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I was a Gitts doubter and I'm still not sure. If he hasnt got the distance to kick that goal he probably needs to be playing mini rugby rather than kicking in tests.
BUT
he made a clean break on the outside: name the last Australian midfielder to do that? sure he fluffed the pop pass but he made a clean break.
On the other hand having To'omua straightened the attack significantly.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Greg Holmes was immense and having genuine scrummagers on the bench means our last 2 is so much better. Cooper and Genia were dissapointing with Giteau impressive first back, Tomua and Phipps in the halves looked good especially Phipps. Tomua and Giteau partnership looked good but too much dropped ball in first half when in good position. Hooper played great but Pocock was awesome too - Perhaps 7 Hooper, 8 Pocoock as Higginbotham had an unhappy evening

Cooper was fine given the go-forward. Passing was slick. Gits was okay too but not outstanding. To'omua was the clear best out of the three.

I agree Phipps looked much better then Genia.

Lots of criticism towards Higgers but I think the biggest disappointment for me was Skelton. Isn't he suppose to be dominating in contact? Where were his strong ball carries or dominate tackles? That's the only reason we accept his short-fallings at the set-piece but he was average all round.

Hoopers hard low tackles are outstanding. He is really the only guy who was able to consistantly dominate into contact. If they had a stat of how many metres me makes pushing back the player he tackles it would probably be higher then half our forwards run metres.

Lee Enfield

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Hooper was man of match for me. Still not effective at the breakdown but the rest of his play was outstanding. Not going to write cooper off from tonight, he is still a better option than Foley, would like to see the Cooper and To'omua combo given a go again, as I think they are the perfect fit and foil.

i think against the Argies I would try

Slipper, Moore, Holmes, Horwill, Simmons, Fardy, Hooper, Pocock.
Phipps, Cooper, Mitchell, To'omua, Kurindrani, Tomane, Folau.

Bench. Hanson, Sio, Kepu, Arnold, Higginbotham, White, Giteau/Kerevei, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Got to say, great work Mitchell. I'm sure that ball passed the plane of touch, but I'll take that.

As I understand it, the fact Mitchell stayed in the field of play after reaching over to bring the ball back in takes the plane of touch out of the question.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Thought the Wallabies played really well. Very good game to watch although a little frustrating from a Springbok perspective having to watch around 40 minutes of defending.

Thought Nigel probably favoured the Boks a bit.

Really felt we should not have used pods to close out the game and rather hoof it into the Wallabies 22 and rush up.

Sad to see Marcell injured.

Status
Not open for further replies.