• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Wow the speed the man love for Hodge has ramped up is impressive. He had a good game against an out of sorts Boks lineup but some of the plaudits here are a bit premature.
With To'omua gone surely 12 is Beales position to lose, and Foley is great bench cover when he's back. Kerevi has loads of potential at 12 as well.
Shows the benefit of avoiding a debut against the ABs.
I rate Hodge as well but at least wait a few more games before comparing him to arguably the best 12 and 13 Australia's ever had.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
Who's suggesting he's a walk up? That is a possible full strength backline for next year, not next week. He's in the squad and if he doesn't get any time off the bench once he's eligible he will for sure on the EOYT. At least he's a proper winger!

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Together those two things potentially hold the key to unlocking what has recently (even at the RWC) been a struggling attack. The third element would be better attacking kicking, such as the crossfield bomb or chip and chase, but unfortunately we're still struggling in that department.

A cross kick bomb followed up by DHP and caught on the full while laying out Goosen with a deft knee to the crutch shows what could happen if we could consistently get the depth of the kick right. We have the chasers in DHP and Folau. We just need to get the kickers right. Over to Mick Byrne.

Micheal

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
A cross kick bomb followed up by DHP and caught on the full while laying out Goosen with a deft knee to the crutch shows what could happen if we could consistently get the depth of the kick right. We have the chasers in DHP and Folau. We just need to get the kickers right. Over to Mick Byrne.

That was a great attacking platform. I was supremely excited when he caught that - space was everywhere. When Goosen went to ground and play was called off I was very concerned about Goosen's wellbeing, and understandably, it looked pretty precarious for a bit there. I was thinking back or neck injury.

When it turned out it was just a shot to the canastas I was less sympathetic about his carrying on. Cost us a fantastic opportunity. Goosen you goose.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
A good game to watch. No way near perfect, but relatively entertaining.

Wallabies woukd be better off letting people defend based on their jersey numbers I reckon.

QC (Quade Cooper) played well, his vision and instincts for the game was lightyears ahead of anyone else on that field.

Foley is struggling with confidence and it affecting his decision making I think. Still, he's lucky that he gets free ride from the press and public - QC (Quade Cooper) would have been mercilessly slaughtered on here and in the papers if he had thrown two intercepts in that match.

Cooper impressed me, and he had luck on his side too. Every time he made an error it was under an advantage so we kept the ball.

I dont know if this is because he took more risk when he knew it was a penalty but it was quite fortunate.

I think Cooper will get close to his 2011 level next season and now has some better decision making skills. He knows he can use a team mate rather than think he needs to do it all himself.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Maybe I'm overoptimistic, but I reckon Mick Byrne's influence is showing, particularly in the kicking department, but I thought those forward pick and drives leading up to Foley's try were absolutely brilliant.

Perhaps, but Hodge's kicking ability predates any involvement with either the Wallabies or the Rebels.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
This is quickly becoming the worst Bok team since readmission.

Coetzee thinks the only problem was discipline. God help us. When quizzed if thinks there is an issue with the game plan that is all he had. Discipline. Fuck off.

He has no clue. It appears like there is no skills coaching and no planned backline structure. No deception, no runners looking for offloads. No angles. No mixture of depth. Nothing. Fuck all.

When we had a lineout on our own try line and gave it to de Jongh to hit up in out own fucking 22 I nearly popped a vein.

When M Steyn came on in a final attempt to pull the game from the depth of Coetzee's arse I switched off the tele.

The history of Springbok rugby and its supporters do not deserve this.

Until we have a coach that tries to coach positive winning rugby I am done. I can't support this shit any longer. Just can't.

An Etzebeth really is a dumb fuckstick. He can piss right off.

The ABs will put 60 on us next week. The players do no deserve it. They look like they do not know what to do. Hapless. They are not playing for this coach. They do not believe.

The Boks last night reminded me of the Wallabies during the Deans era. Joel Stransky alluded to it in the pre game when he desribed the Coetzee plan as "play what's in front of you". In my experience this usually equates to a coach having little idea on how to contruct a coherent strategy or game plan, so they use the motherhood statement "play what's in front of you".

Notwithstanding the issues around quotas etc. there are still plenty of good players in this Springbok team.

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The thing with having Folau at fullback is that it basically nullifies opposition high kicks. Why the Boks kept kicking high balls to him last night remains a mystery.

yes, you could switch he and Beale in defence maybe. They'd basically co-operate the back anyway. Someone will get injured anyway, we're just fantasizing :)

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
The thing with having Folau at fullback is that it basically nullifies opposition high kicks. Why the Boks kept kicking high balls to him last night remains a mystery.

With regards to the second part - the intention was probably to put him under pressure, it's just that they neglected to apply any.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
The Boks last night reminded me of the Wallabies during the Deans era. Joel Stransky alluded to it in the pre game when he desribed the Coetzee plan as "play what's in front of you". In my experience this usually equates to a coach having little idea on how to contruct a coherent strategy or game plan, so they use the motherhood statement "play what's in front of you".

Notwithstanding the issues around quotas etc. there are still plenty of good players in this Springbok team.

True, but this is the copy book example of no matter how good the player, if they are not coached properly, playing for the coach and on the same page you simply cannot perform.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I agree. Few odd ones. Habana made a tackle, never released, Owens penalised us, when the Wobs claimed he never released Owens stated "14 was not the tackler". When Sio "scored" I thought Faf had his hands on the ball which was well out of the ruck for some time before he was tackled. Looked like play on to me. His communication is clear, though. Probably not his best game.

Owens did his usual blind eye at the breakdown - this time the Saffas flopping on every ruck to nullify the Pooper. Pocock was continually pointing it out to him - no dice.

Here's what seems to make Nigel 'the best ref in world rugby':
- Clearly and loudly calling wrong decisions
- doling out one liners / condescending to certain players
- ignoring whole tranches of the law book (especially around the ruck and forward passes) to make the game 'flow'
- Alll Black worship

Status
Not open for further replies.