• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
The thing with having Folau at fullback is that it basically nullifies opposition high kicks. Why the Boks kept kicking high balls to him last night remains a mystery.

The Bok coach said in the post-match conference their strategy was to avoid kicking to Folau - and then went on to say they failed that because of decision making under pressure.

So certainly wasn't planned to kick it to Folau to put him under pressure - they just stuffed up.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Here's what seems to make Nigel 'the best ref in world rugby':
- Clearly and loudly calling wrong decisions
- doling out one liners / condescending to certain players
- ignoring whole tranches of the law book (especially around the ruck and forward passes) to make the game 'flow'
- Alll Black worship

As they say in the classics, if you're going to make a mistake, look good doing it and no-one might notice.;)

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The Bok coach said in the post-match conference their strategy was to avoid kicking to Folau - and then went on to say they failed that because of decision making under pressure.

So certainly wasn't planned to kick it to Folau to put him under pressure - they just stuffed up.

Straight out of the Robbie Deans post match interview script. Remember when he was always asked about the aimless kicking and used to reply that it wasn't in the game plan?;)

The Coetzee/Deans parallels are becoming spooky.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Wow the speed the man love for Hodge has ramped up is impressive. He had a good game against an out of sorts Boks lineup but some of the plaudits here are a bit premature.
With To'omua gone surely 12 is Beales position to lose, and Foley is great bench cover when he's back. Kerevi has loads of potential at 12 as well.
Shows the benefit of avoiding a debut against the ABs.
I rate Hodge as well but at least wait a few more games before comparing him to arguably the best 12 and 13 Australia's ever had.

Sure, but let's not preclude the idea either. We need some heroes: current world class players. Hodge could be one. I'll put a small wager on it. Permanent world class? Only time will tell, as with all our young players.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Kerevi at 12. Not 13. Reckon he'll be a star at 12. Hodge might be good enough to be the next Little at 13. But better.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Aside from the intercepts, I thought Foley played well and the combo with quade definitely shows some promise. That said I'd much rather see the backline reshuffled with hodge at 12, Foley at 15 and folau on the wing playing a roving role a la digby. It's a more natural fit for them and It'd cut back on the amount of reshuffling in defence.

That sounds as though you're shoehorning players into positions.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
So Horan, Mortlock, Little and the guy has played one full test and a cameo. No pressure Reece

International rubgy has no pressure? If a new center doesn't aspire to be a Horan or Mortlock, why is he there? Not everyone aspires to the ordinariness of the Internet pundit. That's why they're playing and we're not.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Maybe they're just not the only stat taken into account. Surprise!

Nor should they be.
It's not very often that we see a player (Pocock) get heavily involved in 34% (54/161) of the Total Rucks of both sides in a test match.
I get the feeling that we'll only miss Pocock when he's gone.
(Especially with Gill OS)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Just watched the replay, which is up on YouTube by the way.
Kerevi did make some tackles but he sometimes takes the wrong option. I reckon he would be magic at 12 outside Quade as well. However, Foley played very well, his two passes to Strauss aside. He took the ball to and almost through the line repeatedly and was a good foil as a second playmaker. His experience got us back on track several times when we started to lose direction.
Hodge was very solid but he has a tendency to seek out contact with ball in hand rather than run at the hole. If he, Kerevi and Folau run at the holes and on good angles QC (Quade Cooper) will find them.
Pocock was targeted from start to finish on and off the ball. He didn't stand a chance. At least it freed up Hooper to play more.
A lot of people are saying it was a very low level test match. I disagree. Both sides played with a lot of enterprise, defended well and were solid at the set piece. It was a well contested match in which both sides came to play. The last 10 minutes was a bit back and forth with some errors but the game was still up for grabs and both sides were desperate.
The Wallaby defense was like night and day compared to the previous match and are we already starting to see some of Mick Byrnes work show through our play? Pretty happy with the performance and hope we can build on it next week.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
The Boks gave a new meaning to the term "shackle dragger" with how often Pocock was coming out of a defensive breakdown with a new, 250lb piece of ankle jewelry.

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
Owens did his usual blind eye at the breakdown - this time the Saffas flopping on every ruck to nullify the Pooper. Pocock was continually pointing it out to him - no dice.

Here's what seems to make Nigel 'the best ref in world rugby':
- Clearly and loudly calling wrong decisions
- doling out one liners / condescending to certain players
- ignoring whole tranches of the law book (especially around the ruck and forward passes) to make the game 'flow'
- Alll Black worship

I had to laugh when he awarded a penalty to Habanna for holding on. Habbana was the tackler and never released the player but he was still awarded the turn over and When the aussies protested for not releasing Ownes says "14 is not the tackler turn over is good.''.

It must have then gone up on the big screen and again the aussies protest and he changes his call to "up on his feet hands on the ball''.

He has no idea at all.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I think hodge is a 12 but shouldn't be rushed there. Start him on the wing until some of our pure wingers are available and shift him to 12 for foley with 20 minutes left. Alternatively start him on the bench and ease him into 12. It is a high pressure position and he has one year of super rugby. Let's not ruin him by pushing him too soon (JOC (James O'Connor)).
He has the size and hands and boot to be both a second playmaker and a bashem up the middle 12.
I like karevi at 13. Folau and DHP should rove a bit more and mix it up. Both great under the high ball. I don't understand how folaus kicking is so bad. He spent a few years doing kicking practice with the best.
Good signs. We just need an 8. Is Leroy Houston not worth bringing in again?

Status
Not open for further replies.