• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v Springboks - Suncorp, Brisbane, 10th September 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Colin Windon (37)
It's one thing when a player misses a straight one-on-one tackle, and there's been plenty of that. Not much a head coach can do about that besides drop guys who keep doing it.

But what about when the camera pans out and half the fucking field is occupied by one wallaby and he's facing 5 opposition players? The number of wide open spaces the ABs have been able to run into inside our 30 is bloody alarming. Is that the result of our defensive system? I don't know if that's player incompetence or what, but when a player can't even get near enough to put a tackle attempt in, I wonder if there are systemic issues (a la defensive coaching).

Maybe we are over-comitting to the ruck? Maybe those players should fan out a bit more? I actually don't know.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
It's one thing when a player misses a straight one-on-one tackle, and there's been plenty of that. Not much a head coach can do about that besides drop guys who keep doing it.

But what about when the camera pans out and half the fucking field is occupied by one wallaby and he's facing 5 opposition players? The number of wide open spaces the ABs have been able to run into inside our 30 is bloody alarming. Is that the result of our defensive system? I don't know if that's player incompetence or what, but when a player can't even get near enough to put a tackle attempt in, I wonder if there are systemic issues (a la defensive coaching).

Maybe we are over-comitting to the ruck? Maybe those players should fan out a bit more? I actually don't know.

That's almost 100% defensive structure. Numbers in rucks is a tactic too and we keep getting it wrong. That is on Cheika more-so then the players. The amount of mis-matches from NZ backs to Aus forwards, and the amount of overlaps created is certainly a strategic error.

We can't blame players for that. We can blame them for getting into a position to attempt a tackle and missing - which is DHP's case.

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)
Mitchell hasn't played footy since early April. Busted groin. Obviously someone we are desperate to have in the squad :rolleyes:
Yeah i dont get it. Taking up a wingers spot just for rehab seems strange.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

bigmac

Billy Sheehan (19)

Blacks move the ball out wide very fast with good soft passes, ball out in front so they run on at pace. Simple but very effective when done properly. Foley and co out wide seem all at sea when faced witha black wave at speed.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
It was suggested to me this morning in a 'phone call, that if we lose this match with the Springboks, it will equal the Wallabies worst ever run of consecutive losses (7), achieved under Eddie Jones! Is this correct?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
It was suggested to me this morning in a 'phone call, that if we lose this match with the Springboks, it will equal the Wallabies worst ever run of consecutive losses (7), achieved under Eddie Jones! Is this correct?

In the Pro era.

http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/team/most_consecutive_losses.html?id=6;type=team

10 games from 1899-1907, 10 games from 1937-1947, 9 games from 1914-1921, 9 games from 1956-1958 and 7 games from 1968-1969.

By my count, the first 3 have the Boer War, WWII, and WWI as excuses, and I don't know much about the other two.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
In the Pro era.

http://stats.espnscrum.com/scrum/rugby/records/team/most_consecutive_losses.html?id=6;type=team

10 games from 1899-1907, 10 games from 1937-1947, 9 games from 1914-1921, 9 games from 1956-1958 and 7 games from 1968-1969.

By my count, the first 3 have the Boer War, WWII, and WWI as excuses, and I don't know much about the other two.

Australia weren't much good in the late 60s - we won one game from 14 from 1967 to 1970 and that was a one pointer against France who were equally as rubbish (they were in the middle of their own 9 game losing streak)

3 wins from 25 from '67 - '72

Mr Pilfer

Bob Loudon (25)
I really think our winger depth sucks and although wing is probably the least of our issues what is the status of these guys?

- Mitchell (is he available this series?)
- Speight (I see he played NRC, is he ready?)
- Naivalu (Is he eligible? if yes get him in there)
- Nayaravoro (Where did he go?)

Otherwise you have Morahan or Hodge to put on the wing.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I really think our winger depth sucks and although wing is probably the least of our issues what is the status of these guys?

- Mitchell (is he available this series?) - no, injured.
- Speight (I see he played NRC, is he ready?) - made his comeback via the bench last week (scored 2 tries) and is likely to start this week.
- Naivalu (Is he eligible? if yes get him in there) - not eligible
- Nayaravoro (Where did he go?) - Japan.

Otherwise you have Morahan or Hodge to put on the wing.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

I think Naivalu becomes eligible after this Boks game and before the Argies game. My guess is he will be called into the squad next week and released to play NRC on the weekend while the Wallabies play the Boks

Yeah i dont get it. Taking up a wingers spot just for rehab seems strange.

I don't think he's officially been in the squad or at least he hasn't been taking up a spot that could go to someone else as we had 33 in the squad prior to Bled 1.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It is clear that our defensive pattern and technique is ridiculously inadequate. We are shipping an average of 30 points a test since the RWC according to the latest podcast. Thats a joke.
We have pretty much always had an excellent defensive record for most of the pro era. Something drastic has to change in this area. We will not win against decent opposition until we can limit their points scoring.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
Theres a good chance mitchell and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will both be going home anyway, speight and naivalu are more then welcome to come in!

dozza

Bob McCowan (2)
How about this team, is a bit left field but i reckon would do a good job against the boks.

1. Sio
2. Moore (C ) last chance saloon
3. Kepu
4. Coleman
5. Douglas
6. Timani
7. Fardy (VC)
8. Mcmahon
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. Mitchell
12. Kerevi
13. Kurindrani
14. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
15. Folau
16. TPN
17.Slipper
18. Ala'alatoa
19. Arnold
20.Pocock
21. Phipps
22. Hodge
23. Foley

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Will almost be certain that AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will go home and probably announce he finished with test rugby, he made it clear he had only made himself available for first 2 tests, and I think that was because him and Gits etc were hoping to win Bled at least once before they packed it in, and good on them too, sure they had mentally retired when they originally went to France, and came back because they thought they could help.

Status
Not open for further replies.