• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies v USA Eagles, 5th September, Soldier Field, Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Genia in the second half improved matters markedly, with his inclination to snipe from the ruck or scrum base taking some defensive pressure off the players outside him. Even so, the ball rarely made its way to the 13 or wingers until the last 20 minutes. Even the commentators noted that Horne got his first touch in attack at the 53 minute mark.

This was simply unacceptable from our 9, 10 and 12 combination that started the game.

I'm sorry but I don't buy this.

The reason the ball never went wide was the USA line speed in defence. They were flying up. It would be irresponsible to shovel the ball wide in the face of this tactic.

What we should have done was try and punch it up in the narrower channels, and move the ball wider once we had momentum. The problem was we kept making errors such that we could never achieve the quick ball we needed.

It was always going to be a patience game, and despite losing our cool for 20 minutes it all went pretty well.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Sooooo, why didn't we have the Peyper audio on the Fox feed? Watching the game just felt, odd without hearing what the Ref was calling/saying. At one stage towards the end, the Touchie called Peyper over for an indiscretion and then had a chat to a yank about who knows what.

Like their Rugby players, the Yank camera operators need to spend more time capturing Rugby games, they seemed to lag behind on tracking the ball.

S

saulih

image.jpg

The team spent a bunch of time at the end of the match doing autographs. I had made up a sign to celebrate Slippers skipper debut and he and a few of the boys signed it. Was fun. Tomane particularly did the round for a long time.
Edit: the sign was also an attempt to christen James with a Cinderella nickname, Cindy for short. Probably won't stick, but hey fun trying.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
For those of you berating Tomane, sure he missed a tackle, but I'm pretty sure that was actually on Hornes wing, not his. He also chased down a certain try to the US. Bag him all you like, but at least the guy was involved. If you picked up mistakes, it was because he was involved in a lot of play. Didn't have a standout game until the last 20, but who of the backs did? Horne was virtually non-existent.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Horne usually does not defend on the wing under Cheika. I'd have to watch again but I suspect Horne had been defending elsewhere. In fact the defence patterns don't often follow orthodox positions at all. The 3 Wallabies involved in letting that try in seemed at 6s and 7s reacting to the USA breakout. It was a cover defence failing. I'm sure Grey would be none too pleased.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think that's where the 18 months thing was coming from?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You can't just wait 18 months and join any sevens tournament though. It has to be an Olympic event (qualifier). So he'd have wait till 2019.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Sooooo, why didn't we have the Peyper audio on the Fox feed? Watching the game just felt, odd without hearing what the Ref was calling/saying. At one stage towards the end, the Touchie called Peyper over for an indiscretion and then had a chat to a yank about who knows what.

Like their Rugby players, the Yank camera operators need to spend more time capturing Rugby games, they seemed to lag behind on tracking the ball.

Because the commentary was coming from a studio in Aus ,not at the game probably

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm sorry but I don't buy this.

The reason the ball never went wide was the USA line speed in defence. They were flying up. It would be irresponsible to shovel the ball wide in the face of this tactic.

What we should have done was try and punch it up in the narrower channels, and move the ball wider once we had momentum. The problem was we kept making errors such that we could never achieve the quick ball we needed.

It was always going to be a patience game, and despite losing our cool for 20 minutes it all went pretty well.

We definitely needed to have runners coming back on the inside and maybe one or two more kicks behind the defense.........

We actually seemed to gain more metres when we had some of the forwards punching up the middle.......

What we were particularly guilty of in the first half was too many long loopy passes to guys who 'd get smashed straight away and we'd turnover the ball.

S

saulih

Have not read through the match thread yet, and will only see the replay later. From the field my impression was

- the Wobs seemed to deny them the ball for good chunks of the game
- when they ( the U.S.) did get the ball and spread it wide they found space to move or in the case of Ngwenya - made the space. He was dangerous
- the Eagles did a great job of rushing up to defend. Notably Palamo (who incidentally has a fantastic first name "Thretton"). There were at least two tackles he made that were just sweet to behold, the one on Gits was pretty.
- despite the rush defense the Wobs in my mind were up to it. Against tougher opponents this version of the Wallaby team wouldn't fair as well though
- the U.S. wayts not ready for the onslaught for the first 15 or so. But then seemed to get into the game more than at the start. Like it was predicted pregame the last 20 mins they were beat up. Their number 10? began cramping up midway in the second half
- the Yankee try unfolded right in front of where I was sitting, I would rate it the try of the match.
- being a Yank in the making I will take some interest in how the Eagles go in the WC. I hope that this time around they can pull out an upset or two that might help to bolster rugby here stateside
- the atmosphere at the game was fun. While the couple that sat in front of me was using a website to explain different parts of the game, most of the crowd seemed to be diehards. This was not a novice crowd- they knew their rugby and were passionate with their support. 23000 got pretty loud when they made that break that Tomane? reigned in
- there were quite a few Aussies in the crowd (maybe 1 in 20)

Anyway fun to see the Wallabies on US soil and in a World Cup year. I look forward to seeing the first string team on deck and how they match up in this pool of death.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Sanchez you are so boring. I wanted another try!

I blame Quade. That stupid, nothing kick from quade after siren with the Wallabies on attack, really sums up the Wallabies problem in that area.

The Wallabies did a number of box kicks when they were on attack in the opposition half. Seems stupid to me, but it would be excusable if they were executed well. Save for 1, every box kick hurt us.

S

saulih

Say what you will about the leadup (offsides), but that was a very good try and some ordinary defence from the Wallabies - the Wallabies even had an extra man. Nguenya (spelling) sold it to Tomane.

14 - 10 to the Wallabies, 34 gone.
Ngwenya is world class

KOB1987

John Eales (66)
I blame Quade. That stupid, nothing kick from quade after siren with the Wallabies on attack, really sums up the Wallabies problem in that area.

The Wallabies did a number of box kicks when they were on attack in the opposition half. Seems stupid to me, but it would be excusable if they were executed well. Save for 1, every box kick hurt us.
Yes that was a WTF moment..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nugget

Jimmy Flynn (14)

What's the percentage of box kick which don't hurt us? 0.0001%???

Hate box kicks.

Status
Not open for further replies.