• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Barbarians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
As far as I'm concerned Cooper is done with. No need for him, O'Connor offers more whilst having none of his weaknesses. It solves the problem of where to pick JOC (James O'Connor) when Mitchell/Ionae are fit as well.

I like Barnes as well. Such a courageous defender and great tactical kicker.

I don't like Cooper's play or attitude.

Fool.

Cooper is our 10, get over it. Defence aside he's our best. Just give him a bloody plan to work with!

Beiber is a 12, possibly 13 if Deans thinks that being a tad wider would make him more effective.

One of Mitchell and Ioane are ALWAYS injured, so there isn't a debate there.

Barnes is a terrible tactical kicker. If you kick 30 times, you're bound to get at least ONE right.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
I disagree Slim, I've taken the opposition into account and I think we've performed very well, certainly not what the scoreline suggests but we've created so many opportunities through great play and ball retention (granted there isn't much contest at the breakdown). A very, very good performance. Higgers and Simmons are the big movers, might've secured starting spots.

I really, really want to see Tapuai/Horne combo next week. That should be the 2015 combo. The rest of the backline is good.

Really?

Really?

You want the Wallaby backline to be

O'Connor
Tapuai
Horne

???

bryce

Darby Loudon (17)
O'Connor would have to be the strongest pound for pound player going around. Just so strong in the contact, even in traffic among the big units. He just manages to get his body in the right position and bump off the first tackle, at least. Diggers is also a machine.

Don't think we can read that much into the result though. Was a bit of a shambles. The first half neither side looked that interested, seemed slow, messy and half hearted. The second half was good from our boys but the Barbarians defence was awful

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Without a look at the rule book, I always thought you could only start to charge after the kicker took his first step?

Thats what I thought too that you actually have to advance on the ball. Still, if ref's wont pick this up he's going to be copping it every time he goes for conversions he may well have to drop the arm swing.

Well then, lets take a look at what the law says:

9.B.3 (a) All players of the opposing team must retire to their goal line and must not overstep that line
until the kicker begins the approach to kick or starts to kick. When the kicker does this, they
may charge or jump to prevent a goal but must not be physically supported by other players
in these actions.

Now the issue obviously is whether that little swing of his legs just before he begins his approach is him starting to kick or not. I think slowed down and analysed it probably isn't but as I said on a refereeing forum, if I was reffing him for the first time I would probably allow the charge as soon as he does it. I think he needs to get a new technique, particularly since it is arguable that he may actually be in breach of:

9.B.2 (b) Neither the kicker nor a placer must do anything to mislead their opponents into charging
too soon.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
O'Connor would have to be the strongest pound for pound player going around. Just so strong in the contact, even in traffic among the big units. He just manages to get his body in the right position and bump off the first tackle, at least. Diggers is also a machine.

Don't think we can read that much into the result though. Was a bit of a shambles. The first half neither side looked that interested, seemed slow, messy and half hearted. The second half was good from our boys but the Barbarians defence was awful

Have you not seen some of the decisions Deans has made over the years?

That result will be enough for him to play O'Connor at flyhalf until his career is ruined, just like Giteau's, for crabbing sideways looking for space.

Horne will be wheeled out onto the pitch, even if he's not concious, and when Beale comes back, he'll be played at number 8, because he looks a bit like Toutai Kefu, and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) will hold the 15 jersey for the next three years.

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
I don't like Cooper's play or attitude.

A couple months ago people here were calling for O'Connor not to be picked for the World Cup based on missing the team selection. So you can't pull Cooper has a horrible attitude when your "messiah" at 10 is fallible as well.

The problem is, we've seen James have an outstanding game with a forward pack on the front foot. The game is a whole different beast when you're getting backwards ball.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Coopers passing game is a long way ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) and he did nothing Cooper couldn't do behind a pack going forward. He did ok but i'd still swap him and Barnes for Wales. JOC (James O'Connor) is a 12 and this game convinced me even more of that. He needs to be closer to action but please not 10.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
While aust did ok, can anyone explain to me why Genia waits for an eternity at the break down before he passes the ball. Sure it lets us get back in position but does the same for the opposition. It annoy the sh*t out of me.

People say this about every halfback in the world, they all do it, it's a thing. The crusaders are praised for slowing and speeding the game. There are times when it is wrong, there are times when it is right.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
While aust did ok, can anyone explain to me why Genia waits for an eternity at the break down before he passes the ball. Sure it lets us get back in position but does the same for the opposition. It annoy the sh*t out of me.

Somehow looked intentional. It's not what Genia normally does. Odd.

Anyway, Baabaas only tactic in this game we to not tackle. Definitely no tackling allowed. Jeez that was poor.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well done Australia it was a good win. Baa Baa's need more time with the players if they're going to be competitive in the future, but I can't see that happening.

I thought AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), JOC (James O'Connor) and Digby were all outstanding today. Aus looking good for when QC (Quade Cooper) is back with 2 real options at 10 when may push each other to new heights.

Will be interesting to see how you go against Wales next week.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Aus looking good for when QC (Quade Cooper) is back with 2 real options at 10 when may push each other to new heights.

Will be interesting to see how you go against Wales next week.

Not sure that we need "new heights" at 10. We actually need an underlying solidity in this position, the brilliance is great, but it is not the bedrock on which we can build a consistently winning team.

We need the foundations, first, then, and only then, do we need "new heights".

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Anyone calling for JOC (James O'Connor) to be "the man" at 10 after that needs to have a cold shower and watch a replay. He did well, but he had little pressure to run the game. Cooper would have carved in those conditions. Yes he tackles better, but there is no way the 2 can be realistically compared based on that. That's not to say he might not get better and better.
The lack of condition of Ma'afu, Slipper and TPN was a bit alarming - they all looked like they had "supersized" the fries with every meal over the last month. Alexander and Moore were like Usain Bolt compared to those 3.
Simmons looked good, Sharpe and Horwill very effective. Higgers shone, but it was a loose game, so he should. I still really want to see him in a grafting, tough game. I think he has that in him, but I still haven't seen it. Hope I do.
Horne and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) were good - Horne looks more solid physically, so hopefully that translates to more durability, as I think he is the smart 13 we need. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a dangerous broken play runner - but we knew that. Tapuai had a good cameo, but looked like he had had the leftovers from the front rowers Happy Meals. Turner was industrious.
Ioane - what a beast.
Overall, not a bad performance, but pretty rusty at times.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
A couple months ago people here were calling for O'Connor not to be picked for the World Cup based on missing the team selection. So you can't pull Cooper has a horrible attitude when your "messiah" at 10 is fallible as well.

The problem is, we've seen James have an outstanding game with a forward pack on the front foot. The game is a whole different beast when you're getting backwards ball.

I don't care about attitude off the field, I only care about on it. O'Connor is a tough, passionate player who loves the contact. Coooper is none of those. The perfect example is O'Connor smashing Spies in the quarter final match.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
JOC (James O'Connor) looked like a 12 playing at 10....

I didn't see anything that indicated that he should play at fly half for th the Wobs over Cooper or Barnes.

He ran the ball into contact a lot and offloaded well. Didn't see much in the way of a good long flat paasing game you'd get from a natural fly half.

Against that opposition Giteau would've looked like the best 10 in the world.

N

Newter

Somehow looked intentional. It's not what Genia normally does. Odd.

Anyway, Baabaas only tactic in this game we to not tackle. Definitely no tackling allowed. Jeez that was poor.

Slow ruck ball isn't Genia's fault. He can't just chuck it willy nilly. He has to have options and forwards ready to clear out on the spot. If they blokes around him aren't ready, he's got to wait until they are. Otherwise it'll just be a turnover.

And with James O'Connor running the backline calls, it's no wonder there were some delays.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I have just rewatch the game. There are only a handful of rucks that Genia slowed the ball down at out of the couple of hundred he was at. I have no idea what your problem with his play is.

whatty

Bob Loudon (25)
JOC (James O'Connor) looks good at 10. Worse performance of a Ba Baas team I have ever seen. Very sad performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.