• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Barbarians

Status
Not open for further replies.

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Back 3 all very good for Aus. Ashley-cooper and digby making yards with ease. Digby went from a standing start at one point, with a guy on him, and somehow made 10 metres earlier.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I disagree Slim, I've taken the opposition into account and I think we've performed very well, certainly not what the scoreline suggests but we've created so many opportunities through great play and ball retention (granted there isn't much contest at the breakdown). A very, very good performance. Higgers and Simmons are the big movers, might've secured starting spots.

I really, really want to see Tapuai/Horne combo next week. That should be the 2015 combo. The rest of the backline is good.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Barbarians have been pathetic for some time now...

There might've been times early on in the first half when they looked alright, but at the moment they can't tackle, can't pass, can't hold onto the ball...

I would back Georgia against them right now...

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Sam Tomkins is an embarrassment. I think that pretty much disproves those leaguies theory "Any league player would kill it in Union"

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
There are no lessons from this game. The Baas are terrible. The Aus breakdown is Shit and lacks urgency but is still dominating. Hope the boys step up against wales next week.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Sam Tomkins is an embarrassment. I think that pretty much disproves those leaguies theory "Any league player would kill it in Union"

Maybe that was the whole point of having him in the team so he'd fail & the joke would be on league & if anything be more of a boost to Rugby. Probably not. However, I remember sticking it to some of my more mungo-centric mates when SBW was playing for the Baa Baas and he got smashed by Luke Burgess.

Major Spliff Biggins

Fred Wood (13)
I understand the ARU's logic, and need for a financial injection, but this result is emphasising the folly of this tour.

Northern tour after a World Cup doesn't wash. As much as I'm happy to watch more rugby.

It's not right for Matfield's last games to be the RWC Quarter, and this nonsense.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Terrible Tompkins got a try but worth it for Big victor to have a shot.

JOC (James O'Connor) at 10 ATM. Better then any of quades performances in the world cup. Competition people!!!

I'm cold bed time

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Could this have been the last big coaching encounter between Henry and Deans? Nice one for Dingo to put away.

Great hit out for the lads (hopefully Bambam and Sookface are not too badly damaged). AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) and Digby played very, very well. Impressed with Simmons. Moore and Big Kev really took it up a gear when they got on too. And finally, JOC (James O'Connor) deserves more time at 10. He is one of our real options there and Lynagh backed him as one for the future tonight. Good game from him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Without a look at the rule book, I always thought you could only start to charge after the kicker took his first step?

You can't charge "until the kicker begins the approach to kick or starts to kick".

So; it depends on what the ref thinks "starts to kick" means.

Regardless, I thought that Poite, one of my favourite referees, had a great game. His minimalist English meant that he didn't talk a lot - not that he talks a lot in French in the Top14.

Steve Walsh, he is not.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
That was a disappointing game of rugby. I was hoping for a tough game of the likes that the Boks and the All Blacks got in recent years. I wanted to see opponents counter-rucking and Aussies dealing with it and counter-rucking themselves. I wanted to see pick and goes against stern defence. Instead the pick and goes were pick and scores - and the piggies got greedy with it.

At least there was a chance to get rid of the rustiness in passing and catching which was generally slick after oranges, and the attacking defence was stifling on the rush, and around the ruck. And it was good to play a game where one opponent didn't get away with sly shit time all the time too.

Talking of sly shit: that late charge on Cipriani was dumb; mind you, if you have to do it, Cipriani is the one you should do it to. Slipper didn't have his greatest game. He looks overweight whereas Benny A looked as fit as a trout when he came on. Sure Ma'afu is about 10 pies over par but I don't care about that so much in a THP. TPN also looks like he has porked up too much, but there were glimpses of the old TPN.

Simmons had a top game. Every kickoff reception bar one was a right on the money and I wondered why they kept kicking to him. Sharpie was Sharpie and very tough. Higgers played well; but it's hard to judge him in a soft game like that.

Genia dithered too much. I see the merit of holding play up for the forwards to set up for a barging pod but the next ball has to be dispatched quickly and too often it wasn't. JOC (James O'Connor) looked very good, and likewise Phipps in his stint, but how can you make an assessment of how both these guys would have done in a tough test match? JOC (James O'Connor) never really had to get his team around the park.

I hope Barnes is OK. You can say that Shaw's knee to his noggin was an accident and it probably was, but I recall Shaw getting a red card in NZ once from use of the knee; so you have to take pause. Grewcock would have approved if he was watching: he was a knee man.

Taps was good when he got on but has to learn to not take the extra step before the pass. Horne was fine as was Turner, and Digby was a dynamic on contact against the tackle. He's like a blender that you can't turn off.

As soon as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) drops one pass or misses one tackle against Wales the forum will be on his case again but he should have a good run during the week. Some people protest too much; we are very lucky to have him.

Status
Not open for further replies.