• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Boks Bloemfontein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I've just watched my recording for the 2nd time. I don't watch the Wallabies live now as I fast forward through the ugly stuff when they usually find ways to lose. It saved me grief time watching the Loftus game and I did a lot of it in the 2nd half in Bloem. I'm a poor loser.

When I saw the falcon and then the infringement for the last Bok penalty I fast forwarded again, to the siren. They had found another way to lose but hello – here's Beale lining up for a penalty – but farque – 50 metres out. He kicked it; good lad. He's a confidence player and missing it may have left a scar whereas kicking it was historic and will do wonders for him. I didn't blame him for the falcon, because he slipped, but the pass over the goal line was bad skill under pressure.

After watching the game properly, there were a lot of ifs and buts for both teams, and some thoughts in no particular order are:

• So much for the experienced veterans Matfield and Smit being over the hill. We are all too willing to write off great players aren't we? - and it serves us right. Our team could not have come back like the Boks did and it was due to experience. Smit's throw to the lineout near his line was a disaster, but that aside had the best game that I can remember since he came back fat from France after his club stint there.

• The try set up by Matfield before oranges was one of the few I can remember enjoying as an opponent did it. A pity there was no Wallaby in front of him though at the ruck when he picked up the ball. I had seen him do it before – as a young pup for the Bulls against the Tahs in Sydney. He chipped someone and regathered, then did a 2nd chip kick, over Matt Burke IIRR, to score a try. Great stuff.

Both Matfield and Smit should be rested for the EOYT though.

• I saw the Carisbrook crowd boo the All Blacks once when they came off after a poor 1st half against Ireland, and I remember when the Ballymore crowd booed Glen Ella when he dropped a ball cold against Scotland in 1982. Dwyer, in his first test as Wallabies coach, had inexplicably picked a fellow Randwick man, instead of Queenslander Gould – but I never expected the Bloem crowd to boo Habana. Shame on them. No wonder they booed Beale as he was kicking that goal.

• Talking of the 80's: the passing in the first half was a bit like Mark Ella, Hawker and O'Connor the way they threw the ball in front of receivers running at top speed. But come to think of it: Cooper can pass accurately with long passes better than Ella could on his best day; he was more like Larkham in his pomp. Cooper was terrific on attack but he should be nowhere else but out wide on goal line defence; they look for him.

• Barnes refereed the 2010 IRB directives in a way that gives me confidence in how the game will be allowed to be played. He got a few things wrong such as not binning JPP, letting Oz get away with a lineout throw not 5M that lead to the Mitchell try (though the AR should have advised him properly), and there was one Pocock fetch that looked larcenous, but he was very bloody good on the law crackdown. And we couldn't have whinged if Beale missed the kick - Oz don't seem to get the rub of the green against the Blacks but they got it Bloem against the Greens.

• McCalman had a good debut start but he and others have all played under the 2010 IRB directives whereby, amongst other things, the tackler has to release the tackled player before he gets to his feet and makes an attempt to fetch the ball. Too many of our blokes are playing as though the law crackdown is something new to them. They think it's fine also to arrive at the side of tackles and rucks as though it's not mentioned in the laws.

• The Boks will be better when they have FdP, BdP and Brussouw back, but their aggressive bashing game with or without the ball has run it's course. That said, basher Burger had a top game and so did Steenkamp. The Boks first half defence was shocking but they should be congratulated for almost getting another remarkable comeback win in the 2nd half. They can't take too much comfort from it though because the young Wallabies shot themselves in the foot several times in both games – and they will get older.

• Pocock had an amazing game and we wouldn't have won it without him but he over reads on defence too often.

• What will the win mean for Oz rugby? It's hard to say, but I'd warrant that there will be a few more seats on bums come Saturday than there would have been had KB (Kurtley Beale) missed that kick.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
That chip kick by matfield was ridiculous great skill by one of the best in the world. I remember watching it and thinking you have to be kidding that guy can do everything

Pocock does seem to over read sometimes thats why juan smith scored last week, but i dont care so long as he plays like he does and occasionally misreads

I have always had a soft spot for beale, partly due to the fact he was a schoolboy prodigy but also because of his playing style, good to see him starting to fulfil his promise.

I'm glad to see that the schoolboy attacking stars JOC (James O'Connor), KB (Kurtley Beale) and QC (Quade Cooper) all had good games. Although QC (Quade Cooper) definetly got the jitters in the second half and KB (Kurtley Beale) had the falcon and the dodgy pass

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
By memory when McCalman ran he got over the gainline by 2m, rather than getting wrestled backwards - need to watch replay

Whatever happened though, the backrow was so much better balanced - witness Rocky able to play more of his old game.

Having watched the replay I take it all back. He was a speedbump for Steenkamps try and totally missed De Villiers straight on for his. (Pocock didn't over-read it - he'd gone wider and was being obstructed by Burger)

Add that to the pens and generally hiding behind rucks and it wasn't a great start actually.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought McCalman was average and I did say that i thought he missed a few tackles, his carrying was ok but not palu like

Good points were the kickoff take, work at the back of the scrum, good carrying,

Bad points tackling, penalties, he doesn't look as funny as sugar buzz does when he gets told off by the ref,

rsea

Darby Loudon (17)
McCalman pretty bloody well for a first test start. He did make some errors but nothing like "brown-gate" and while comparisons with our injured incumbent are unavoidable, it's important to remember that it's his first test start. I think the kids got potential and will only improve as his experience grows. We'll need a solid backup for Palu next year and he could well be it.

dobduff11

Trevor Allan (34)
yeh i just wish he didn't miss so many tackles thats the worrying thing a back rower shouldn't miss tackles

penalties aren't too bad that gets better with more tests

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
OK, my thoughts

Good.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) can pass!

Some nice back play with units running lines

Good defense for 38 minutes, nice low tackles with the 2nd or 3rd man attacking the ball

Nice attitude they covered for eachother

Bad

Defense from 38 minutes, we don't seem to be able to keep the tempo in attack and keep the defence for a solid 40 minutes - that is the big difference between Aus & NZ - they can keep their structure for 70 minutes

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
• Talking of the 80's: the passing in the first half was a bit like Mark Ella, Hawker and O'Connor the way they threw the ball in front of receivers running at top speed. But come to think of it: Cooper can pass accurately with long passes better than Ella could on his best day; he was more like Larkham in his pomp. Cooper was terrific on attack but he should be nowhere else but out wide on goal line defence; they look for him.

Ah you noticed that too! The whole time I was watching the first half I was marvelling at how good the passing was. Flat line, passes quick, accurate, out in front of the player. It was glorious stuff and something I hope we persist with.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Really can't understand why they have Cooper defending so close to the ruck at the goal line. He inevitably misses any tackle on a decent sized forward.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Does anyone agree that Pieterson is a blight on the game. Just watching him at about the 38th minute after being warned for coming in from the side. Just dives in from off side and then kicks the ball away. Previously he scratched the crap out of quade's face. Someone should give him one. Also, did you see the chili boy give fatcat a gobful at a breakdown. Pathetic.

What a stupid post.

So following that logic Benn Robinson, who got pinged three times for not realeasing the tackled player is also a blight on the game.

If I am correct about which Pietersen incident you are referring to, you need glasses.

If there is any "blight" it is the Finger two week ban. It should have been more as far as I am concerned. Of all the bans for spear tackles this season, his was the most dangerous. The others just dropped the player, he actually drove him into to ground. Should have been six to eight at least.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
A couple of observations on some of the comments made post game:

- Don't understand why some are expecting Palu-like runs from McCalman. Thought the kid went well enough that can be expected, but he is a very different 8 to Palu. He made a few errors in judgement and got caught out, but I thought his work in the tight in the first half was very good. He and Sharpe and Pocock were instrumental in securing quick ball for the backs. The loose forwards is all about getting the right mix. Can't say I ever saw Rodney So'oialo do many bullocking stampede runs, but the guy was so effective in other ways. McCalman's grunt work allowed Rocky to stand wider as he likes without compromising ruck ball.

- Very refreshing for the Wallabies to see Burgess come on and really spark things up. He really could have bottled it in those pressure minutes, but he looked eager and keen. He will have a long Wallaby career if he continues to provide that sort of impact.

- Is Frier Tuck in the frame for this weeks test vs the ABs now that S Finger is goneski?

- You know things aren't too bad when Chisholm makes it through a game without an injury.....

- Boks attack in the 2nd half was something to behold. The bodies in motion had OZ backpeddling at a rate of knots and oft times was only stopped by a bit of brilliance (pocock steal) or an untimely knock on/error. We saw that in NZ in short periods, that when they have the ball and are switched on they are very tough to stop. Concentration seems a bit of a problem though.

- Habana is woefully out of form. The guy is so unpredictable in defense that it must be tough being one of his team mates at the minute. Although Frans Steyn seems not to interested in attacking rugby.... But Habana is either comingout of the line or darting in leaving wide spaces either behind or tio the side of him. Plus that time he isolated himself as a ball carrier really was a schoolboy error. He used to have a kicking game that seems non-existant now

- Great entertainment as a neutral. I was on the edge of my seat when Beale was lining up. Happy for the kid to get it. Marto's commentary was hilarious right at the death there.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
What a stupid post.

So following that logic Benn Robinson, who got pinged three times for not realeasing the tackled player is also a blight on the game.

If I am correct about which Pietersen incident you are referring to, you need glasses.

If there is any "blight" it is the Finger two week ban. It should have been more as far as I am concerned. Of all the bans for spear tackles this season, his was the most dangerous. The others just dropped the player, he actually drove him into to ground. Should have been six to eight at least.

Argh Blue, if you'd just chopped that last sentence out I would have completely agreed. It was definitely the most deserving yellow card given this year.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
What a stupid post.

You are surely kidding, aren't you?

If we want to talk about blights on the game, we should go no further than the very average and quite pathetic statements that come out of PdV's mouth in relation to the support of eye gouging and even worse acts.

And then we could look at the fact that Burger wasn't even cited for an attack on the face of David Pocock in Brisbane.

They stand well above Fingers two week ban.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
You are surely kidding, aren't you?

If we want to talk about blights on the game, we should go no further than the very average and quite pathetic statements that come out of PdV's mouth in relation to the support of eye gouging and even worse acts.

And then we could look at the fact that Burger wasn't even cited for an attack on the face of David Pocock in Brisbane.

They stand well above Fingers two week ban.

I agree one hundred per cent. Search the forum for my many, many elaborate comments on PdV and for the surprise that Burger was not cited. I lay claim to the "most vocal about PdV" award at the end of the year and I suspect nobody will come even close.

But I was referring to the softness of his ban in relation to other spear tackles this season. I thought this was the worst of them all. Take the colors of the player's backs and try and view the actual events and it's not hard to see.

I was trying to point out how hysterical Spewn's post was so er, yes, I guess I was kidding.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Argh Blue, if you'd just chopped that last sentence out I would have completely agreed. It was definitely the most deserving yellow card given this year.

Maybe not six to eight but I think 4-5 at least.

It was easy to see how it happened. Every reserve who comes on knows he has to make an impact and that's what he was trying to do - make a totally dominant tackle. But his technique was horrible and instead of dominant it was downright dangerous. He's young and will learn, but it was a very poor piece of work.

Getting two weeks means he misses the AB game and what else? The QLD comp is over so he misses one test and that's it. This highlights the already obvious - that players should be suspended for games in that level of competition not for numbers of weeks. Sure this could be modified for gouging or drug abuse, where the minimum should be six months and players should not play any football, but in cases like these a three test ban would be way more effective even though he could play other football in the meantime. No one wants to lose a test or S15 spot due to suspension, its too much of a chance for someone to nick your spot. This would be way more effective as a ban on illegal play.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Not reading all the posts but congrats to the Wallabies on their win. Despite what happen out there I felt at the end they deserve the win. The Bokke fight back well, but their defense look kak to be honest. No way they will win if they let the opponent rack up a 30 lead in 20 odd minutes. In my books the Wallabies have turn the tide and this weekend this young side will have to produce against the All Blacks to show if they are on the right track.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Not reading all the posts but congrats to the Wallabies on their win. Despite what happen out there I felt at the end they deserve the win. The Bokke fight back well, but their defense look kak to be honest. No way they will win if they let the opponent rack up a 30 lead in 20 odd minutes. In my books the Wallabies have turn the tide and this weekend this young side will have to produce against the All Blacks to show if they are on the right track.

Funny you say that because I don't think the wallabies really deserved the win much at all. I guess the Boks didn't much either though.

Wallabies should never have allowed the Boks to get that close, and they keep losing the key moments either side of half time. Lack of concentration seems to be a real issue, and if it happens again this weekend they will be put to the sword.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I agree one hundred per cent. Search the forum for my many, many elaborate comments on PdV and for the surprise that Burger was not cited. I lay claim to the "most vocal about PdV" award at the end of the year and I suspect nobody will come even close.

But I was referring to the softness of his ban in relation to other spear tackles this season. I thought this was the worst of them all. Take the colors of the player's backs and try and view the actual events and it's not hard to see.

I was trying to point out how hysterical Spewn's post was so er, yes, I guess I was kidding.

Yes, it was the worst of those so far, however I could argue that some of those were too harshly deal with (eg Cooper missing two test matches). So in true context I would expect in the order of 3-4 weeks as appropriate.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
A couple of observations on some of the comments:
- Is Frier Tuck in the frame for this weeks test vs the ABs now that S Finger is goneski?

- You know things aren't too bad when Chisholm makes it through a game without an injury.....

I'll bite. Dunning is not playing well this year and has been struggling with his emotions. Several times he has been mouthing off as though he has been taking angry pills. Probably his frustration at his own performance has brought it on but its not going well. Holding on to his club spot is the priority right now.

Only two candidates of note: Edmonds and Fitzpatrick and it seems Edmonds will get the guernsey. Fitzpatrick's time will come.

Status
Not open for further replies.