• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Boks Bloemfontein

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
Despite the fact Australia won, there was no doubt in my mind that SA were the better team on the paddock.

I don't necessarily 100% agree with this, however, it is worth considering. South African weren't nearly as bad in the first half as some have been making out - there were definitely the better team in the last 15minutes of that 1st half and obviously the better team for 38minutes of the 2nd half. They might not have scored as many tries as us, which is because they have somebody like Morne Steyn who can make any ill-disciplined, under pressure team pay, and he did with the help of his team mates.

South Africa didn't make crazy stupid mistakes like headbutting balls or throwing balls over the dead ball line or kick the ball into touch on the full during a restart. The South African forwards certainly didn't stand out in the back line waiting for Quade Cooper to clear out a ruck like ours did. No yellow cards or dangerous play, surprisingly, from the South Africans unlike one of our dumb forwards. A couple of lapses in defence was about all you can criticise them for.

So after listing all those reason why Australia played poorly, it makes you think how the heck did we pull that win off? And also how big the score line could have been if we weren't so poor?

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I don't necessarily 100% agree with this, however, it is worth considering. South African weren't nearly as bad in the first half as some have been making out - there were definitely the better team in the last 15minutes of that 1st half and obviously the better team for 38minutes of the 2nd half. They might not have scored as many tries as us, which is because they have somebody like Morne Steyn who can make any ill-disciplined, under pressure team pay, and he did with the help of his team mates.

Wallabies were definitely on top for the last 10-15 minutes of the second half - basically from the time of Saia's brain snap. In that time we made some mistakes (coach killers for sure) but we were playing the more positive rugby and I always thought we were a chance. If the Boks were so much better than us how come they only scored three tries? Their second half display was more mistake-free than ours, but mistake-free is not necessarily better, especially if you are playing conservative.

I will argue forever that the score reflected the match overall. It was close but the Wallabies slightly shaded the Boks overall and were certainly more enterprising.

I'm not impartial, but I bet my eye teeth those watching from other Rugby countries would have got a real kick out of this game and the other TN games as well. Its been rugby at its best this year, the first time I could say that for many years.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
I don't see the logic.

The same people who say the Boks defence sucked so much seem to think they played better overall. Even though in their attack they were outscored in tries 5-3.

So, their defence sucked, and their attack clearly wasn't as effective, yet they were the better team. Go figure.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This makes Robbie Deans the first Wallaby coach (EVER? - at least since the Boks post apartheid return in 92) to win two away tests in South Africa. Not McQueen, Dwyer, Jones nor Knuckles.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Well now that does surprise me. Step one of successful Wobs coaching records to be broken by RD? He's got a fair way to go...

T

TOCC

This makes Robbie Deans the first Wallaby coach (EVER? - at least since the Boks post apartheid return in 92) to win two away tests in South Africa. Not McQueen, Dwyer, Jones nor Knuckles.

also uniquely, i bet $100 that by the end of next year he will be the only coach to have coached a Wallaby side which has won on New Zealand soil 4 times in a season.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Watched the game again last night.
Apologies to AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for criticising his play the previous week and thinking for 1 second that he is not our answer at 13.
He was outstanding. His defense was damaging as he pulled off some huge hits on both Bok forwards and backs.
And his attack was spectacular. It looked like he was coming from a little deeper and he was hitting those holes and causing havoc for the Springboks. He also took good options and offloaded when he needed to..

We deserved to win it no doubt.

H

Hartman

also uniquely, i bet $100 that by the end of next year he will be the only coach to have coached a Wallaby side which has won on New Zealand soil 4 times in a season.

Probably the only coach to have coached a Wallaby side which has even played on New Zealand soil 4 times in a season...

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
What does everyone think about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) playing 13 perminantly?

Im in favour of it as I like Ioane on the wing and beale at fullback, and I dont think Horne is test standard.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
What does everyone think about AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) playing 13 perminantly?

Im in favour of it as I like Ioane on the wing and beale at fullback, and I dont think Horne is test standard.

I think he deserves the spot until someone challenges him on form. His performances so far have warranted an extended run in the position. Horne is test standard IMHO, but unfortunately has a fragile body.

H

Hartman

I think he deserves the spot until someone challenges him on form. His performances so far have warranted an extended run in the position. Horne is test standard IMHO, but unfortunately has a fragile body.

South Africa have a few players that are good in the S15 but can't step up to test standard - Kirchner and Wynand Olivier come to mind - but Horne has got a little something that both of them don't.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)

Horne is definitely a great prospect, but still very young. And he's not AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), yet. Remember, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) sucked in his first test season.

I'd be leaving AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13. People have been saying for years it is his long-term position. He was only playing 15 because we had so few choices. Now we do: Beale and Hynes both.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is too valuable as a utility to be nailed down to a position. He is one of very very few players that can truly be given the utility tag.

I know this is an odd way of thinking but he seems to play 13, wing and fullback all equally well (also plays 12 service-ably) so why nail him down.

He helps the team most when playing where required.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
In my view it's about having the right guy in the right position and not reducing a strength to cover a weakness. I believe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to be best at OC, even though he is very useful in other spots. At a time when we aren't exactly overflowing with options at 13, I'm very keen for him to stay there. Kurtley is acquitting himself well at fullback and our wing options are actually very good right now, so there's no reason to be shifting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) around too much. I do agree that he's a mighty handy utility player though.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is the best 13 we have so should stay there, end of story. What makes him so valuable is that he can cover wing and fullback injuries. Then you can have Diggers (natural winger and cover for 13) and Hynes (natural winger and cover for 15) fighting over the other wing spot after Shmoo. I think JOC (James O'Connor) has better utility value at the moment, the saying "jack of all trades, master of none" springs to mind.

jason

Sydney Middleton (9)
In my view it's about having the right guy in the right position and not reducing a strength to cover a weakness. I believe AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) to be best at OC, even though he is very useful in other spots. At a time when we aren't exactly overflowing with options at 13, I'm very keen for him to stay there. Kurtley is acquitting himself well at fullback and our wing options are actually very good right now, so there's no reason to be shifting AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) around too much. I do agree that he's a mighty handy utility player though.

I think the problem is that he's the best 13 and 15 - he's one of our most consistent line-breakers and is by far the best player under the high ball, crucial aspects of those respective positions. Like you say though, now that Kurtley is playing well at 15, and because we don't have another 13 in the squad, it just makes sense to keep him there, especially considering how well he set up his wingers on the weekend.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
If I had to pick a position for AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) (and I don't believe was have to) it would be wing. Because as a wing he would get the freedom to slot in at OC (which he is good at) and slot in at fullback (which he is good at).

Basically AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) @ wing gives him the chance to use the skills that make him a good Outside and the skills that make him the Fullback, the only question would be is his positional play good enough to find the work.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I know out and out pace aren't the only attributes required for a good winger, we seem to be doing well enough without a genuine tearaway on the wing, but imagine if we had a Rod Davies like player who was fast enough to genuinely contest the kicks to the corners and put the opposition fullback under real pressure. Thats the type of player I would like to see on the wing for the RWC.

Status
Not open for further replies.