• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs England, Sydney, 3rd Test, 25 June @ 8:00pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
A trip to Australia's fifth best city, behind Brisbane. Gold Coast, Townsville and Weipa to watch the Wallabies towel up the Soap Dodgers.

Third time lucky Wallabies by 12

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, how will Cheika's game plan pan out tomorrow?

Will he play the 1 - 3 - 3 -1 formations described by Grame Forbes on the front page, and which appears to have been the most successful attack formation against the England rush defense? If so, how does Matt To'omua fit into that structure? That formation seems to rely on a forward distributor (Moore, Slipper) taking the ball first receiver and passing deep to Foley or Folau running in a second wave and then utilising the 12 and 13 to skirt the defensive line. Matt plays very flat in attack and I'm not sure he will fulfil that role as Kerevi did in the first test in particular. Maybe he will be the ball receiver from the forward distributor in place of Foley when they want to run that formation?

We do look to have fewer forward distributors on the ground in this test. Neither of Simmons nor Skelton are likely to have that role. Skelton will probably be wanting to make hard metres over the gain line, bringing two or more defenders into the ruck area so that there is more opportunity for overlaps out back when they spread the ball. Will his fitness allow him to play that role effectively? He was reportedly low on fitness at the start to the season and was dropped to SS by the coach. Since then, according to Cheika he has suffered a shoulder injury that has kept him below par. Will he really have the match fitness to play his role in a test match after another break of 3 - 4 weeks away from game time?

Being facetious, but I don't know what Rob Simmons is meant to bring to the game. His lineout calling and jumping has been going off in recent times, and he is more likely to get swatted off by the England forwards when he attempts a tackle or a ruck clean out.

I am not certain at all that we have the game plan nor the right players to reverse the outcomes from the first two tests. But here's hoping.

Go Wallabies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
So, how will Cheika's game plan pan out tomorrow?

Will he play the 1 - 3 - 3 -1 formations described by Grame Forbes on the front page, and which appears to have been the most successful attack formation against the England rush defense? If so, how does Matt To'omua fit into that structure? That formation seems to rely on a forward distributor (Moore, Slipper) taking the ball first receiver and passing deep to Foley or Folau running in a second wave and then utilising the 12 and 13 to skirt the defensive line. Matt plays very flat in attack and I'm not sure he will fulfil that role as Kerevi did in the first test in particular. Maybe he will be the ball receiver from the forward distributor in place of Foley when they want to run that formation?

Hooper?

JJJ

Vay Wilson (31)
33% winning percentage under Nigel prior to the world cup final, in case nobody has mentioned it. I'd be interested to know how many games we've actually won with him holding the whistle.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
You'd guess for a referee who has been around as long as Nige that he has reffed us about 10 times (say once a year since 2007)- so maybe 3 wins?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
You'd guess for a referee who has been around as long as Nige that he has reffed us about 10 times (say once a year since 2007)- so maybe 3 wins?

AND I don't think he gets on particularly well with S. Moore. IIRC waves him away regularly with a "back you go" in that musical Welsh accent.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Which seems funny to me. He certainly doesn't come across to me as being rude or disrespectful.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Which seems funny to me. He certainly doesn't come across to me as being rude or disrespectful.

Probably not entirely his fault - there are a few yapping dogs in the Wallaby team who don't shut up. His occasional propensity for a bit of niggle may not help. Maybe we don't catch the nuance of how he talks to the ref well. Just spitballing here.

Status
Not open for further replies.