• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Russia - last game before the QFs!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
I think the delay in calling for a replacement for Palu is to see how Pocock pulls up after the Russia game.

If Pocock struggles a bit, they'll call up Hodgson. If he pulls up fine they won't call up a 7 that Deans wouldn't use in his 22 in the quarters with a fit Pocock.

You may well be right with this - but the problem I see is that if Pocock gets through this weekend and is okay, but then gets injured in a winning QF (no I am not getting ahead of myself, I don't think a win is a given but I am still hopeful) then we have potentially lost the opportunity to bring a back up 7 into the squad. Unless of course Deans has advised one of the other inured (presumably Horne being the most in doubt) that he is prepared to retain him in the squad for now with the potential that he might have to be determined unfit and needing to be replaced in the future, depending on the needs of the squad.

I have defended Deans in the past, but more and more I am sharing many of the frustrations expressed by others - in this case his apparent stuburness to review the need for a back up seven.

Of course the player called in may not get a single minute of game time - but if you were the player in question wouldn't you want to join the squad anyway.

Reactions: BPC
W

What2040

You may well be right with this - but the problem I see is that if Pocock gets through this weekend and is okay, but then gets injured in a winning QF (no I am not getting ahead of myself, I don't think a win is a given but I am still hopeful) then we have potentially lost the opportunity to bring a back up 7 into the squad. Unless of course Deans has advised one of the other inured (presumably Horne being the most in doubt) that he is prepared to retain him in the squad for now with the potential that he might have to be determined unfit and needing to be replaced in the future, depending on the needs of the squad.

I have defended Deans in the past, but more and more I am sharing many of the frustrations expressed by others - in this case his apparent stuburness to review the need for a back up seven.

Of course the player called in may not get a single minute of game time - but if you were the player in question wouldn't you want to join the squad anyway.

agree totally TSR - the backup 7 is potentially crucial to the desired end result

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
Samo on the wing vs Russia certainly isn't going to help the "Wallabies are arrogant and have no respect for their opponents" image that the media are trying to create. "Oh look they're so contemptous of Russia that they put a forward on the wing etc etc". Hate that kind of rubbish, bordering on character asassination.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Samo on the wing vs Russia certainly isn't going to help the "Wallabies are arrogant and have no respect for their opponents" image that the media are trying to create. "Oh look they're so contemptous of Russia that they put a forward on the wing etc etc". Hate that kind of stuff.

They'd be showing there true colours as a toss-pot if they'd make that claim when they know we've only got 24 healthy players out of our 30 man squad.

Larno

Ward Prentice (10)
They'd be showing there true colours as a toss-pot if they'd make that claim when they know we've only got 24 healthy players out of our 30 man squad.

The problem being that the average punter at the RWC would probably believe the hack writing in a newspaper.

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
I wouldn't be surprised if the call has been put into beau/hodgeson (insert replacement here) , and they are already over in NZ cooling their heals elsewhere away from the fanfare.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
The problem being that the average punter at the RWC would probably believe the hack writing in a newspaper.

So, let them think like that.... You cannot win an argument against an arrogant man and one who makes such claims surely is. F#ck em!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I wouldn't be surprised if the call has been put into beau/hodgeson (insert replacement here) , and they are already over in NZ cooling their heals elsewhere away from the fanfare.

In this day and age, I really don't think this could happen without someone reporting it.

Unless at the conclusion of the rugby season, Beau went and got a job working in a pub in Queenstown.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Deans could play Samo or Higgers against Russia at wing with justification. I imagine he'll play both.

It gives Deans and co much needed breathing space. The media will make what they will of it. If the Wallabies lose it will be the least of Deans worries. If they win, he achieves more options going into the quarters.

Plenty of people would have put Lomu in the forwards during the development of his career once upon a time, Samo is hardly a radical idea. Nor is Higgers.

Brumbies Guy

John Solomon (38)
Why? England managed to do it with their replacement..

Makes more sense for England bringing over a ready to go replacement than for Australia to have one ready in NZ; big difference in the travel and acclimatising requirements (time zones etc.).

exISA

Fred Wood (13)
Makes more sense for England bringing over a ready to go replacement than for Australia to have one ready in NZ; big difference in the travel and acclimatising requirements (time zones etc.).

not really referring to the travel time etc - more so the stealthy nature it was done in - because players aren't supposed to be with the squads/training/staying with them if they aren't official... he was over there the whole time apparently.

Lance Free

Arch Winning (36)
Something different - 3 hookers, 3 halfbacks & DK on the wing!

The Wallabies team to play Russia in the ninth match of Pool C at the Rugby World Cup, at Trafalgar Park in Nelson on Saturday (kick-off: 3.30pm NZ Daylight Saving time, 12.30pm AEST) is:

15. James O’Connor (Western Force)
14. Radike Samo (Queensland Reds)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Brumbies)
12. Berrick Barnes (NSW Waratahs)
11. Drew Mitchell (NSW Waratahs)
10. Quade Cooper (Queensland Reds)
9. Luke Burgess (NSW Waratahs)
8. Ben McCalman (Western Force)
7. David Pocock (Western Force)
6. Scott Higginbotham (Queensland Reds)
5. Nathan Sharpe (Western Force)
4. James Horwill (Queensland Reds, captain)
3. Sekope Kepu (NSW Waratahs)
2. Stephen Moore (Brumbies)
1. James Slipper (Queensland Reds)

Run on Reserves:

16. Tatafu Polota Nau (NSW Waratahs)
17. Saia Fainga’a (Queensland Reds)
18. Salesi Ma’afu (Brumbies)
19. Rob Simmons (Queensland Reds)
20. Rocky Elsom (Brumbies)
21. Will Genia (Queensland Reds)
22. Nick Phipps (Melbourne Rebels)

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
The only positives I can see in that team is the inform tighthead prop has the number 3 on him and we have Cooper, Barnes and AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) all paired up!

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
This is lunacy but if we can't still beat Russia by 50 with these blokes on the field we might as well go home anyway

Phipps is presumably 11-15 cover??? While Genia is 9-10??? TPN is backrow cover with Elsom and Ma'afu and Fingers are front row???

Also, ???

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Im just surprised he didnt play Vicks on the bench instead of Elsom to give the four locks a run as well.

The centres look good though and hopefully JOC (James O'Connor) can get a bit more involved from 15.
Get the bonus point then give everyone a run with possibly the exception of Genia and Elsom who could do with the break and be better fresh in the QFs.

Status
Not open for further replies.