• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Docklands Stadium June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Torn Hammy

Johnnie Wallace (23)
I thought the ref's control of the defensive line was very, very poor.

How can it be that the two most open rugby playing international teams can finish a game with 163 rucks and and only four line breaks!

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I thought the ref's control of the defensive line was very, very poor.

How can it be that the two most open rugby playing international teams can finish a game with 163 rucks and and only four line breaks!

As I said earlier, I was down near the ground for the game and the Welsh backline were offside all night right in front of the assistants........

They weren't just a little offside either.......

There was a period where Davies was consistently a metre or so in front of the rest of his already offside defensive line....... The crowd were going absolutely batshit about it.......

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Only footy code on last night and the crowd was shit house. Plenty of freebies given out.

I really wonder sometimes what this game has to do in order to get some recognition.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Was Warburton playing last night?

The game count in the battle of the 7's is now Pocock two, Warburton nil. Disappointing as I was expecting to see a more even contest after all the RWC and 6N hype.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Sorry Dai
Can't agree With calling this team dumb. They are the best team that has left Wales and last night they played to the standard of 6N champs. Difference was the Australian defence is better than any NH side.

Dont agree either that the ref had a good game. Second half was in all honesty dire to watch as he gave penalty after penalty to either side. I'm quite sure that from a technical point of view anyone can watch the replay a find a fault that justifies the final penalty to Australia. If you open the other eye you could, I am sure, find a penalty to wales in the same maul. IMO the the problem with rugby is that refs are deciding the outcome of too many games.
I think a certain Gareth Edwards and a Mr Barry John would disagree with you there, Look I'm gutted I genuinely thought we would beat the aussies down here,
1,1/2 Min remaining on the clock and they kick the ball back to the Aussies and thats not dumb, As for saying they have a better defence than any NH side What a load of twaddle, Their defence was so good the scots who are one of the worst sids in the NH beat them.
I'm as disapointed as you Blue But , to blame the ref for our defeat smacks of desperation, We didn't play as well as we have in the past perhaps australia didn't let us play, but we have played much better, I agree that Roberts was a huge loss in the middle for us.
I believe we need to beat the SH sides at home first on a fairly consistent level, do that, break this phycological hold they have over us and we will overcome.
The gap between north and south is closing, whether the SH agree or not, it is only a matter of time before the wins come, as little as 10 years ago being 17-3 down in the first test we would have capitulated and lost by 50
As for the ref, I hear it every day rubbish ref dosen't ref the breakdown don't know whats happening in the scrum so on, the refs interpritation can be frustrating, well play the ref,
The SH sides do this consistently and with out the gripe.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Oh and on another issue. How can any good attacking player chasing a kick avoid hitting a defender in mid air and getting himself binned. 1/2P has learned from bitter experience vs France that you jump for everything and fall hard if hit. then teamates come in for a bit of handbag throwing and a player gets binned.
Hmmmm!! You ever played rugby blue.;)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
....snip....
I'm as disapointed as you Blue But , to blame the ref for our defeat smacks of desperation,

I think Cardiff Blue's new avitar shows who he really thinks is responsible for the loss, and indicates the level of his disappointment.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
I think Cardiff Blue's new avitar shows who he really thinks is responsible for the loss, and indicates the level of his disappointment.
HJ we are all disapointed, the Welsh boards are full of Blame and disapointments, I saw the diapointment on the players faces at the end of the game,get better or the same thing will happen in the last test.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Hey Dai,

What's up with Warburton? We were expecting to see so much more from him. Almost as if he has been swallowed up by Sir Richie's Cloak of Invisibility.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Like the full back page of the Hun today.
Sure, it'll bring to people's attention that there was a game last night.

The day after doesn't help drive the attendance though.

Oh and I wasn't just referring to the landscape here, it's a national outlook.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
It was just over 33,000.

I was sitting 3 rows in near halfway and there were half a dozen empty seats directly behind me...

I know people have discussed previously on here that they don't mind a stadium being half full because it means shorter lines for beer, food, toilet etc. But for me at a Test match they should be doing everything they can to fill the stadium.

There's a lot of talk about growing the game in Australia but most of it centres around how to get people playing. Yesterday was a perfect opportunity to get people watching! At some point during the week the ARU must have known that it was going to be far from a sell out. So why didn't they have special offers discounts and especially for those with young kids.

If you can grow the game by getting more people going to test matches and target it at those with kids then the kids are more likely to want to play rugby. I'm a big advocate of first capturing the parents and future parents into our Rugby net and that having a big influence of the choices that future generations make about what sports to play/follow.

Hell if it was me at the ARU I would have been giving tickets away. I would have made it free ticket for any kid 14 or under as long as they are accompanied by an adult who would pay half price for their ticket.

I'm sure many of us have tried to convert non rugby fans to rugby by such means of trying to explain the beauty of our sport or the feeling it's stirs within us or even by getting them to watch it on TV. None of it is very successful because they just don't get it.

But I've then seen what happens when you bring a non rugby support to a full bloody quality test match and after 10-15 minutes they get that look in their eyes and I think to myself now they get it.

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think a certain Gareth Edwards and a Mr Barry John would disagree with you there, Look I'm gutted I genuinely thought we would beat the aussies down here,
1,1/2 Min remaining on the clock and they kick the ball back to the Aussies and thats not dumb, As for saying they have a better defence than any NH side What a load of twaddle, Their defence was so good the scots who are one of the worst sids in the NH beat them.
I'm as disapointed as you Blue But , to blame the ref for our defeat smacks of desperation, We didn't play as well as we have in the past perhaps australia didn't let us play, but we have played much better, I agree that Roberts was a huge loss in the middle for us.
I believe we need to beat the SH sides at home first on a fairly consistent level, do that, break this phycological hold they have over us and we will overcome.
The gap between north and south is closing, whether the SH agree or not, it is only a matter of time before the wins come, as little as 10 years ago being 17-3 down in the first test we would have capitulated and lost by 50
As for the ref, I hear it every day rubbish ref dosen't ref the breakdown don't know whats happening in the scrum so on, the refs interpritation can be frustrating, well play the ref,
The SH sides do this consistently and with out the gripe.
The only Wales tour I can recall Messrs John and Edwards going on was NZ in 69. We didn't have live coverage but from memory it wasn't a great success, though it did set up the 71 Lions tour

A

AlexH

You have misconstrued my meaning.

If you wish to play a wide running based game certainly Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and Cooper are the players for the side. If you wish to play a balanced game consisting of some running, significant tactical kicking and counter attack then Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) though not both at once. If the tactics are more conservative then perhaps none of the above and bring in Mark Gerrard.

It all depends on the tactics that are going to be played. IMO that was the biggest flaw in Deans selections last year at the RWC, he opted for an ultra conservative game plan and selected Cooper at 10 and had pop gun kickers on the wingers. Wouldn't a better selection for the game plan been Barnes at 10 and Gerrard at 15 with his huge boot?

First choice isn't because they are the best individuals, but should be because they best suit the game plan to be employed. That is my biggest beef with Deans (apart from selecting players out of position), on so many occassions he has selected players to play a game that doesn't and never has suited the game plan to be played just because they are deemed to be the "best".

Personally, I would prefer we picked the most talented players in the country and selected a game plan that suited the cattle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom