• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Docklands Stadium June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Bh, you're going too far now with these quippy distortions IMO, seemingly to undermine serious issues raised from/by other posters. Your neat 2 liner above does not properly summarise the legitimate concern I and numerous other posters expressed re JO'N's obvious commitment of material amounts of time to Echo Entertainment's highly turbulent affairs.

Hugh J's point above is clearly totally different in context and intent to the Echo-related issues. Just glibly juxtaposing them doesn't do either justice.

We realise you are generally happier with the status quo of Aus rugby's (and Tahs') management, coaching, etc than a number of us here are, and you want to argue that more contented perspective. Fair enough. But to flippantly attempt to demean an alternative perspective achieves little IMO.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Finally, calling Smith a 'perennial doomsayer' is quite misleading. He's just about the only Aus rugby journo that's got the intellectual skills and guts to critique the Aus rugby 'system' and attempt to ascertain why it's not producing code growth and more aggregate success. The inference of this negative badging of Smith is that writers like Growden and others are providers of the better optimism for the code. Surely no one could sensibly believe that. IMO, we need the Smiths to support legitimate public debate and critique re Australia rugby, he's clearly the last of a rapidly dying breed, sadly, and such a trend does not serve the code's cause at all well.

Smith had made many excellent, brave points in articles. We indeed need challenging voices in the media - he and Scott Bryant are probably the only two.

However, when he let's his ongoing crusade cloud his rugby judgement - as he did here - he drops the ball and goes from voice of truth to perennial naysayer. Disappointingly he also loses his influence on those issues where the impact of his voice is needed.

The freudian slip in the article is that it's about his fantasy - that we'd lost this test and knives would well and truly be out. We didn't and so the only thing left to do is criticise the manner of it.

With your x-factor players out in a test series decider against the best team in the north - that's poor rugby judgement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Part of it was intended to just be a joke. It wasn't overly serious.

Truth be told, I'm not quite sure where I stand on JON. He is a businessman through and through and arguably has done a pretty good job in directing Australian rugby financially. Being a major part of getting a better RWC deal with the IRB is no small thing for Australian rugby.

I can't help but think that if he was more popular, some of his involvement on the boards of listed companies would be seen as beneficial to Australian rugby due to having sway in the business world. Let's face it, rugby is the smallest but also most corporate of the football codes and probably has the most to gain from relationships with business. We're never likely to be a sporting code funded by having a very widespread grassroots supporter base resulting in huge TV deals like AFL and NRL. Corporate dollars are always going to be important.

I agree that his involvement as interim chairman of Echo is worrying because it will clearly take more time than just being a board member. I think we should see how it pans out and whether that becomes a permanent thing. Maybe if he has less hours to commit to the ARU then his pay deal should reflect that. He does seem to be the sort of person that can wield the power required to produce good business deals for the ARU. It is hard to see who out there would be a better option in this regard.

I don't for a second think he is or should be guiding the direction and future of Australian Rugby. This must be the domain of the ARU board who has far more rugby experience to be directing these decisions.

From a business perspective it would seem that JON is doing a good job and has achieved several good outcomes for the ARU. I think he brings plenty to the table in this regard which probably isn't easy to replace in Australia.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Gagger - fair enough, let's just agree to disagree on this perspective upon Smith's article that I note your disagreement with. (Just btw, did you see Poey's comments today where he highlights aspects of the Wallabies' attack last Saturday that he and the team weren't happy with.)

My sole objection was your blanket labelling of WS as 'perennial doomsayer', without qualification. I just don't think that's balanced or fair to one of the last remaining objective journos on the Aus rugby media scene who puts effort in and fears no one. Mostly, WS writes thoughtfully and on a range of interesting, well considered topics.

D

daz

Last week people were complaining he wasn't involved enough in Australian rugby. Now it's that he's too involved.

Well done, that got a laugh out of me. :D

I think when people complain he isn't involved enough, they do not consider singing with the team in the sheds after a game the kind of involvement they are looking for.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Gagger - fair enough, let's just agree to disagree on this perspective upon Smith's article that I note your disagreement with. (Just btw, did you see Poey's comments today where he highlights aspects of the Wallabies' attack last Saturday that he and the team weren't happy with.)

My sole objection was your blanket labelling of WS as 'perennial doomsayer', without qualification. I just don't think that's balanced or fair to one of the last remaining objective journos on the Aus rugby media scene who puts effort in and fears no one. Mostly, WS writes thoughtfully and on a range of interesting, well considered topics.

Gotta love what you manage to fit in after "let's just agree to disagree"!

Status
Not open for further replies.