• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Docklands Stadium June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Obviously you have a different idea of "closing out a game' to me.

Closing out a game is not snatching victory from the jaws of defeat, it's relentlessly finishing off an opposition once you've achieved dominance, on the scoreboard or on the park.

Okay, maybe that wasn't 'closing out a game' but great teams also snatch victory from the jaws of defeat (think Eale's & Mortlock's kicks & Kefu's try) and that game sure ended a lot better for us than the Scotland game.

Two weeks ago I questioned why we seemed to lose tight games too often so I for one am happy they were composed enough to finish the game in that fashion.

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
My favourite scene, other than Berrick clearly being deservedly ratted already, is at 1:06.

Brothers in arms!

Brothers in arms indeed, Gagger. Noblesse oblige. It was a wonderful man-of-the people gesture for someone of his stature and refinement to join in a group hug with the sweaty troops and to mime the national anthem with them. What the video doesn't show is that he was even prepared to have a celebratory drink with them; for which purpose he personally carried a flute of 1928 Krug down from his private suite.

Reactions: DPK

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Was Warburton playing last night?

The game count in the battle of the 7's is now Pocock two, Warburton nil. Disappointing as I was expecting to see a more even contest after all the RWC and 6N hype.

He's not even the best Welsh 7 on this tour. Tipuric is by far the form player, how the Welsh management expect Warburton to just hit the ground running after hardly playing in months defies logic to me.
In an online poll in Wales today, Tipuric polled 60 % of the public vote to replace the skipper.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
He's not even the best Welsh 7 on this tour. Tipuric is by far the form player, how the Welsh management expect Warburton to just hit the ground running after hardly playing in months defies logic to me.
In an online poll in Wales today, Tipuric polled 60 % of the public vote to replace the skipper.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2
Saint Sam of Warburton is simply not match fit but then neither is Lydiate who should be recuperating from the operation he desperately needs. Don't get me wrong, Wales will pay for this next year but I was hoping that Gatland would pick a largely Welsh squad for next summers injury tour with the Lions and leave the Irish lads at home but I can see the Welsh lads being dead on their feet by next summer and it will down to Ireland to pick up all the slack and all the fucking ruined careers

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member

I'm sorry, but that piece of doomsaying sticks in the craw.

Australia clearly played the more dominant, positive rugby. Unfortunately a simple skill mis-execution gifted the best team in Europe a try which resulted in a tighter score line than there should have been, tightening a match that the ref was letting be strangled at the ruck until he saw fit to start whistling later in the game.

Nevertheless the Wallabies kept their shit together and won.

Hallowed, we should be so worthy, New Zealand didn't even look as good against a "lesser" (by results) team. But apparently that was a champions close-out.

Sometimes - especially when it means sealing a series - you just need to get the win. We played to the circumstances and did the job.

If we'd had played BBQ footy and lost that I'd being going apeshit.

What would Wayne and other perennial doomsayers be saying then? I think we all know

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Brothers in arms indeed, Gagger. Noblesse oblige. It was a wonderful man-of-the people gesture for someone of his stature and refinement to join in a group hug with the sweaty troops and to mime the national anthem with them. What the video doesn't show is that he was even prepared to have a celebratory drink with them; for which purpose he personally carried a flute of 1928 Krug down from his private suite.

FFS JON has a bigger entourage than Elvis did at his peak, there are plenty of hangers on in the joint.Hope they were all sent home with some Krug as a memento in their limo's.

D

daz

A little video focusing in on Aussie Mike Harris

My favourite scene, other than Berrick clearly being deservedly ratted already, is at 1:06.

Brothers in arms!

I don't know what the rest of you think, but I've always thought that singing the anthem/team song after a win should be the domain of the players and perhaps the coaching staff only. I've never been a big fan of admin types joining in.

Besides, their suits would have been creased and you can't treat high quality fabric like that. Poor form, JON and co. Focus, people!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
I don't know what the rest of you think, but I've always thought that singing the anthem/team song after a win should be the domain of the players and perhaps the coaching staff only. I've never been a big fan of admin types joining in.

Besides, their suits would have been creased and you can't treat high quality fabric like that. Poor form, JON and co. Focus, people!

I could not agree more, Daz. Grand Final and Test wins belong to the players.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)

Australia clearly played the more dominant, positive rugby. Unfortunately a simple skill mis-execution gifted the best team in Europe a try which resulted in a tighter score line than there should have been, tightening a match that the ref was letting be strangled at the ruck until he saw fit to start whistling later in the game.

Hallowed, we should be so worthy, New Zealand didn't even look as good against a "lesser" (by results) team. But apparently that was a champions close-out.

Sometimes - especially when it means sealing a series - you just need to get the win. We played to the circumstances and did the job.

What would Wayne and other perennial doomsayers be saying then? I think we all know

Whatever your views on the Wales 2 win, that article by Smith is not 'doomsaying' at all. Most of the article highlights how positively important the win was, and credits the Wallabies closing skill in getting it.

Smith's argument - right or wrong take your pick - is that (a) this game showed no evidence of Wallaby innovation or adventure in attacking play and thus they put themselves in a lower scoring position than was justified by their possession and position stats and (b) in his view if that single 'grey' dimensionality of limited attacking play continued, it would likely not build the Wallaby fan base, etc.

IMO, there is some truth in what he's saying, but consistent winning by the Wallabies against top sides here at home is overwhelmingly the important variable in building, or rebuilding, fan support for national rugby. Most critical of all is a BC win very soon v the ABs, just as JO'N has recently stated as a 'must have'.

Finally, calling Smith a 'perennial doomsayer' is quite misleading. He's just about the only Aus rugby journo that's got the intellectual skills and guts to critique the Aus rugby 'system' and attempt to ascertain why it's not producing code growth and more aggregate success. The inference of this negative badging of Smith is that writers like Growden and others are providers of the better optimism for the code. Surely no one could sensibly believe that. IMO, we need the Smiths to support legitimate public debate and critique re Australia rugby, he's clearly the last of a rapidly dying breed, sadly, and such a trend does not serve the code's cause at all well.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

Couldn't agree more. Firstly, Wayne Smith's article was rubbish. Test rugby is about winning. Watch super rugby if you want a try a minute game. The tone of his article downplays the significance of the Wallabies victory and gives no credit to the quality of the opposition. It was a series win against the highly rated Champions of Europe in circumstances where a lot of top line players, many of them 'match winners', are on the sidelines. Also I didn't see the game play out like he suggests. After a shaky start (going down 7 points in the first 5 minutes) the Wallabies controlled the match well. The had the bulk of possession and territory. Despite staunch defence from the Welsh, the Wallabies slowly chipped away for metres, and regularly made their way into the Welsh half, and took the points. By half time they were comfortably controlling the match. The 2nd Welsh try was unlucky for the Wallabies, but again they toiled hard and regained control of the game. When Vuna was sent off around the 60th minute I thought the Welsh would be able to take advantage, but the wallabies just waited it out. Quite frankly if we'd lost I would have still thought we looked like the better team for the majority of the match. There is no doubt Our team could use some extra attacking firepower in the backline but that will come when players become available.

Compare that game to the NZ/IRL game where Ireland appeared to be in control in for much of the second half. A game that many would argue Ireland deserved to win.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I think, with the Welsh being on or over the advantage line in defence much of the game, the scope for adventure and innovation was somewhat limited. I think, in these circumstances, they played a smart game to hold possession, build phases and territory and take the points offered at times. Remember, we gifted Wales that 7 pointer in the second half which made it tighter.
Criticism is fair enough, if the opportunity to be more expansive was clearly there and was shunned for conservatism, but in this case, I don't think that opportunity was really there.
As Gagger said, BBQ footy would have crucified us.
The converse of your point rings true as well - there should be room to praise when they win a tough game too. Don't forget that.
And disagreeing with Smith does not even come close to being the same thing as endorsing Growden. ;) A hack is a hack, whatever the mood of the piece.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Also we didn't have the personell to play BBQ footy. If we had Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) and Mitchell catching hypothermia on the wings I would have seen his point. But as it stands our current backline is suited to a more narrow style of game, which we played pretty well on Saturday.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Harsh that Mike Harris has been left off the bench following his match winning kick.

At least we have a lock on the bench.

Personally, I would have left out Hooper.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Couldn't agree more. Firstly, Wayne Smith's article was rubbish. Test rugby is about winning. Watch super rugby if you want a try a minute game. The tone of his article downplays the significance of the Wallabies victory and gives no credit to the quality of the opposition. It was a series win against the highly rated Champions of Europe in circumstances where a lot of top line players, many of them 'match winners', are on the sidelines. Also I didn't see the game play out like he suggests. After a shaky start (going down 7 points in the first 5 minutes) the Wallabies controlled the match well. The had the bulk of possession and territory. Despite staunch defence from the Welsh, the Wallabies slowly chipped away for metres, and regularly made their way into the Welsh half, and took the points. By half time they were comfortably controlling the match. The 2nd Welsh try was unlucky for the Wallabies, but again they toiled hard and regained control of the game. When Vuna was sent off around the 60th minute I thought the Welsh would be able to take advantage, but the wallabies just waited it out. Quite frankly if we'd lost I would have still thought we looked like the better team for the majority of the match. There is no doubt Our team could use some extra attacking firepower in the backline but that will come when players become available.

Compare that game to the NZ/IRL game where Ireland appeared to be in control in for much of the second half. A game that many would argue Ireland deserved to win.

It would seem that many rugby journalists and fans have an expectation that as the number two ranked side in the world, every win against a team ranked below us is a given and the only victory worth celebrating is against New Zealand.

If we lose to a team below us there are calls for heads to roll and claims that Australian rugby is dying. If we beat a team ranked below us (particularly in a close game), we should have beaten them better.

It seems that many think that the situation is completely black and white in terms of the success of Australian rugby. The only way to move forward is to beat the All Blacks (except in the Tri Nations in 2011. That didn't count), win the Bledisloe Cup and win the Rugby Championship.

I personally think that Australian rugby has moved forward in the last few years. We have a huge amount more depth than we did previously. Three of four years ago, if you'd taken out key players such as Beale, Cooper, O'Connor and Horwill, we would have been an absolute basket case. Now we can put together a team that is still capable of playing good rugby and beating the 6N champions.

I still think we have a long way to go, but trying to judge our success based solely on whether or not we beat the All Blacks is taking a bit too narrow approach.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Last week people were complaining he wasn't involved enough in Australian rugby. Now it's that he's too involved.

Status
Not open for further replies.