• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Docklands Stadium June 16

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
OK so on the Friday when it is perfectly obvious that ticket sales are woeful, allow anyone who has puchased two tickets to bring another person for free. No extra cost to the stadium but significant increase in revenue from food, drink , merchandise etc.

It looks more impressive on TV, allows more people to experience a Test match and everyone wins.

I know I'm dreaming, but that's allowed isn't it?

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
OK so on the Friday when it is perfectly obvious that ticket sales are woeful, allow anyone who has puchased two tickets to bring another person for free. No extra cost to the stadium but significant increase in revenue from food, drink , merchandise etc.

It looks more impressive on TV, allows more people to experience a Test match and everyone wins.

I know I'm dreaming, but that's allowed isn't it?
I like it because it rewards everyone who has already purchased tickets rather than just the late 'blow-ins' who get the deals.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
AlexH - how has that sort of approach contributed to the Wallabies being unable to play when it gets inclement? How has that contributed to the opposition being able to shut down the Plan A game and there being no plan B?

Horses for courses, not evey player is suited to all conditions and it has always been thus. The RWC is a great example of Quade Cooper not being suitable for the game plan to be employed. There is no doubt that he was by far the most accomplished 10 in Oz last year, but there is no way that he was ever suited to play the territory and defence based plan Deans elected to take into the RWC.

Reactions: BDA

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
But I've then seen what happens when you bring a non rugby support to a full bloody quality test match and after 10-15 minutes they get that look in their eyes and I think to myself now they get it.

Had this myself last night, with a friend I took. Talked to her at half-time and I think she finally understood why I love rugby.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
just finished watching the replay. a very thrilling game. almost as good as ireland nz which was bloody fantasic. BOD perpetually unlucky in love with the southern hemisphere nations.
the crowd was really dissapointing. 34k....previous games v ireland and the all blacks in melbourne have drawn 45k-55k. not sure what italy drew a few years ago, but that is a bad figure. personally i think any test in melbourne not against england or new zealand should be held at AAMI. cram 30,000 into AAMI for games against wales, italy, france, etc. the atmosphere and views are that much better at aami v etihad. Personally, I would pay an extra $10 for my ticket were it at AAMI v Etihad and I'm sure a lot of others would too.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
just finished watching the replay. a very thrilling game. almost as good as ireland nz which was bloody fantasic. BOD perpetually unlucky in love with the southern hemisphere nations.
the crowd was really dissapointing. 34k..previous games v ireland and the all blacks in melbourne have drawn 45k-55k. not sure what italy drew a few years ago, but that is a bad figure. personally i think any test in melbourne not against england or new zealand should be held at AAMI. cram 30,000 into AAMI for games against wales, italy, france, etc. the atmosphere and views are that much better at aami v etihad. Personally, I would pay an extra $10 for my ticket were it at AAMI v Etihad and I'm sure a lot of others would too.
20,000 vs Italy in 09.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
gees. that is bad. but italy were pretty woeful that year i think...not the team they are now.
I like the strategy the ARU are adopting in sydney going forward, unless its going to draw 60,000 plus - its at allianz.
repeart for melbourne.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think you raise a very interesting point, Penguin. There is a definite reluctance to spend on discretionary items at the present time. For example, at fundraising lunches and dinners it is now hardly worthwhile conducting auctions because the returns are so meagre.

At first glance this shift in sentiment seems illogical given that both unemployment and inflation in this country is so low; but I think that there are two main contributing factors. The first is fear mongering about the economy because of political agendas. The other, which thus far draws little attention, is people's concern that their wealth is being eroded. The long real estate boom led to residential prices spiralling up to levels unsustainable in the longer term in relation to incomes. Many families burdened themselves with huge mortgages in anticipation that the values of their homes and investment properties would inevitably continue to increase, making them progressively more wealthy. We are now seeing an unwinding of the property boom and an unpleasant realisation that family wealth is declining but the mortgage burden will continue into the foreseeable future.

From the beginning of the professional era ticket prices for rugby matches were set much too high. Has the Sydney Football Stadium ever been full for a Super game? I can't remember it happening. Combine that with the fact that the bulk of the population cannot view our sport on a regular basis because it is not available on free-to-air television and you have a perfect environment for a contracting supporter base.

Our sport is going backwards at all levels relative to the two other main football codes; and the best we can come up with is to commission a review whose sole purpose is to determine the best way to replace some of the existing suits around the ARU Board table with other suits.

Excellent post Bruce especially at it touches on two topics close to my heart. Growing the game by making it more accessible to new supporters and political scaremongering.

Ticket prices should be set at a level with the aim to fill the stadium rather than to skim the top end of the market for a little more profit. Get people into the stadium and then make money on them buying programs, beer, food, souvenirs etc. Sacrificing a little profit now for a much larger and healthier market tomorrow is the way to go. It's like these marketing people can't connect the dots and work out that if people attend test matches or S15 games then they are more likely to spend money on rugby in other ways (e.g. the new Wallaby jersey for themselves and the kids).

Someone who is skeptical about our sport isn't going to pay through the nose to dip their toe in the waters and see if they like it. Make the prices low enough so that these new comers feel like they're ripping the ARU off by taking up a seat at a price that's a steal. Then just when they're not expecting it we'll convert them by stealth and let the majesty that is test rugby do the talking.

As for political scaremongering your average politician knows about as much about running an economy as a RL player knows about scrummaging. Up here in the EU all the scaremongering about the Euro has talked our economy into a double dip recession. Just before Christmas the Euro crisis had abated and all the statistics, job figures, opinion polls from consumers and manufacturers, budgets for the new year etc. showed the green shoots of recovery. It was just short of hanging a huge sign out that Google Earth could read saying "Recession Over!".

I'm a firm believer that the current economic crisis would be over by now if the politicians shut up and stopped talking about it, then stood back and let those with the ability to DO something about it.

Everything looked good for the few weeks of the Christmas break with retailers reporting a brisker trade than expected in many countries. Then the politician and investment bankers came back from their holidays and within a week it was crisis all over again. The fact that the Euro didn't collapse while they were off skiing or whatever over Chirstmas didn't register with them. The important thing was that the FTSE, DAX or whatever market had lost a whole 1/2% or whatever it was.

I find it baffling why the level of an investment market should be so important to the health of an economy in the modern era. It's not ignorance on my part either having spent well over a decade working in banking and funds. The fact that I'm aware that banks will purposely engineer drops in certain markets in order to profit makes the obsession by politicians even more alarming. The additional fact that banks make more profit in times of recession also seems to escape them.

Politicians should look after the economy first and then let markets look after themselves by taking advantage of a favourable economy. Instead politicians the world over are the same. In good times when basic economic theory tells us that they should be putting the breaks on the economy they instead have tax cuts aimed at winning more votes in the upcoming election. These tax cuts then over stimulate the economy and lead to recession. In times of recession when they should be spending to stimulate the economy they make cuts to spending, because they or previous governments have spent our rainy day fund on tax cuts at the wrong time.

It's my firm belief that politicians have as much right to be near the running of an economy and indeed are as much use as a winger in the front row of a scrum.

Anyway I've prattled on too much and I'm sure many on here don't need to read my wanderings on politics when I can already bore you with my meanderings on rugby.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Does anyone else have "moments" when they read about Kurtley Beale and think of Andrew Walker? So much tallent located below the neck!!

kronic

John Solomon (38)
gees. that is bad. but italy were pretty woeful that year i think.not the team they are now.
I like the strategy the ARU are adopting in sydney going forward, unless its going to draw 60,000 plus - its at allianz.
repeart for melbourne.
Yeah too right. Agree with your thinking, England/New Zealand/Ireland at Jihad. Everyone else at AAMI.

Dai bando

Charlie Fox (21)
Hey Dai,

What's up with Warburton? We were expecting to see so much more from him. Almost as if he has been swallowed up by Sir Richie's Cloak of Invisibility.
I think the Welsh back row play well as a unit, each complimenting the other Warbs has just come back from injury, so might need a few more games to get back to his best, A 7 needs support at the Breakdown Higginbotham,palu, supports pocock very well, our back row has'nt quite clicked yet, perhaps your back row are not leting us,
Also and this isn't a dig at the refs, the tackle area seems to be more vigourously policed in the NH, perhaps we need to smarten up a little at the tackle area and play more to your rules,

Cardiffblue

Jim Lenehan (48)
HJ we are all disapointed, the Welsh boards are full of Blame and disapointments, I saw the diapointment on the players faces at the end of the game,get better or the same thing will happen in the last test.
My personal whinge ATM is that Wales show signs of becoming a team like the one Robbie Deans seems to be molding - based on playing percentages. Wales were great last season because the had a brilliant defence (and there was plenty of evidence the unbrella defence was back) but also because they were capable of unpredictable attack and kept the ball in hand. their superior fitness meant that the steamrollered teams. there are, I am afraid, signs that this riskier strategy has been abandoned in favour of field position and gaining ground via box kicks. They can still do it in patches but it isn't what they try to do all the time. Best comment I saw during the week was from george North whio said 'wales must be themselves'. I think he probably knew that the game plan was solely based on geting ahead early and then closing down the opposition. Nearly worked, but now they have to go back to attack.

wouldn;t make many changes. I'd like to see tips given a run on, hooker Owens and Scott Williams back in the centre to ensure we reach the gainline

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
....snip.....

Anyway I've prattled on too much and I'm sure many on here don't need to read my wanderings on politics when I can already bore you with my meanderings on rugby.

Bardon, thoroughly enjoyed your "rant" and in many respects agree entirely.

"Those who can, do. Those who can't, teach. Those who can't teach, study law, politics, or sell cars".

If you think your meandering posts are boring, then you clearly haven't read too many of mine.:)

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
Then just when they're not expecting it we'll convert them by stealth and let the majesty that is test rugby do the talking.
I love that quote Bardon, if you don't mind I'm going to use that as my signature on G&GR

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
I'm a firm believer that the current economic crisis would be over by now if the politicians shut up and stopped talking about it, then stood back and let those with the ability to DO something about it.

It's my firm belief that politicians have as much right to be near the running of an economy and indeed are as much use as a winger in the front row of a scrum.

Good luck with that!

Eggsie

Stan Wickham (3)
Australia just doesn't have the centres right.

Despite the injury crisis, there must be a better winger than Vuna?
Umm.shipperly, morahan, speight,mogg,d mitchell, l mitchell, le honey badger, gerardo, F sautai, davies..but I might be being overly critical...

Reactions: DPK

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
Yeah too right. Agree with your thinking, England/New Zealand/Ireland at Jihad. Everyone else at AAMI.
HA! i said this to you last year and you were causing a great stink about how we'd get 40k to most Australia games. But yeah save for games against england or the blackness, swan st should be the ground.

Status
Not open for further replies.