• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies vs Wales - Suncorp Stadium June 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
I must make a point I am Welsh and visit a few Welsh boards and cant recall anyone blasting the ref, the only criticism was when Ioane was on the floor so out of the game Cuthbert went to pick the ball up and Ioane took his legs away while still on the floor, My opinion for what its worth is that was a yellow card,
I enjoyed the Game I think you caught the Welsh off guard in that first Half 20/6 was a big ask but they came close, what is being said on the Welsh boards is many of that first team haven't played since March others longer than that, It takes a couple of games to get your match fitness back, I have'nt seen the Welsh pack play so poorly for an age, not taking anything away from you, you were superb at the break down this gave Barnes and Genia an Armchair ride I will be very surprised and disapointed if they get the same ride in the next test.

I would never have known that Dai, thanks for the 'thumbs up'.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
A damn fine read, and by a lady writer none the less.

I would also rather read Gaggerlands own Angry Seahorses articles over that of Grumbles Growden rubbish any day.

Perhaps SMH should subcontract their Chief Rugby Correspondent duties to NY Times staff.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
As Wales fan has said people calling for Hook, I think Hook is nearly a 10 nearly a 12 and nearly a 15, good for bench cover but there are better players than him in all those positions,

Bigger the form 10 in Wales has a bit of an attitude problem, or did have but he's not the answer either in my opinion,

I think someone needs to sit down with preistland and try and find out how he has gone from being potentially a very good Flyhalf to a mediocre one.

Yeah Hook is a "nearly" - or what I call a "notter". He has been cursed by versatility. He was seen as the successor to S.Jones but they didn't leave him there alone: as soon as there was a need in the centres or at fullback he was torn away. One saw the sense of it; coaches are human.

As you indicate: at the national level it turns out that he doesn't have a clear superiority in each of the positions he plays in - and more so now than when he started. This wasn't obvious when he was in Oz early in his career, before the 2007 RWC: he looked the goods in one of his early starts at flyhalf.

There was the same treatment at the Ospreys where Biggar had to be used. Hook went to Perpignan partly for the lolly, partly to get out of the fishbowl at home, but partly also to play with the 10 jersey more.

Preistland had a mighty rise in the position and I fear the fall, if fall it be, could be just as sudden. He blew my socks off in that RWC trial game when S.Jones (I think) was injured in the warm-up and he was dragged in from 15 where he was supposed to play. He surprised me with his all round game as I had thought of him at his club only as a fullback who could play flyhalf only if needs be. But after the RWC I don't think I was the only one who thought his switch from 15 to 10 might be as successful as that of Stephen Larkham for Oz.

Maybe it is just a slump in form that can be corrected soon.

I agree with your comment about Biggar's attitude: there is a whiff of Wayne Rooney in him. He's young yet though; but since he is not on tour I think it's wise to take John's advice and play Hook, who has always been his favourite.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
Completely agree. I assume Caderyn Neville is still in the squad which makes dropping Pyle and Douglas all the more bizarre. I think Neville has a good future ahead of him but he is very green.

With a name like Caderyn he's in the Welsh squad surely ??? Lol.

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
That was good journalism. Better by far than the vast majority of crap we are served up.

But I am wondering, did Emma actually attend the game (doubtful) or was this report written from simply watching a TV feed? I would like to know where she is based because she has a very comprehensive understanding of rugby.

Any chance she can replace Growden? Please?

vidiot

John Solomon (38)
1. The first Australian try came on the back of a break by Palu. Palu again picked up the ball from a position as the ruck "pillar". It is my belief that if he plays the ball from that position he is offside. Vito and Thomspon did the same thing regularly in the ABs match.

I thought so too at the time. But looking at the replay he was behind the ball and the Welsh had amazingly committed not one player to the ruck, if it even was one without a red jersey in it - there were a couple of tacklers on the ground and no Welsh players on their feet. Very sloppy.

.... was this report written from simply watching a TV feed? I would like to know where she is based because she has a very comprehensive understanding of rugby.

Kiwi in Wellington - twitter feed.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
That was good journalism. Better by far than the vast majority of crap we are served up.

But I am wondering, did Emma actually attend the game (doubtful) or was this report written from simply watching a TV feed? I would like to know where she is based because she has a very comprehensive understanding of rugby.

Any chance she can replace Growden? Please?

Pretty sure she's the one that has covered a great deal of the stories on the Hyde Comprehensive School's Rugby Program. So it's fairly safe to say she's East Coast USA.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I thought the Welsh team looked very tired. More so than Ireland and England who also looked a bit flat. It is hardly surprising that the NH teams look a bit jaded, as basically they have been playing without a break now since september 2010. I didn't think Warburton looked one hundred percent fit myself and suspect that he will not be pushed too hard if, as I suspect, the Welsh go behind in the first half of the next game. Fortunately for Wales, Ireland and England these tours can have no negative affect on RWC rankings so can be regarded as development exercises. Hope North's injury is not too serious, he has played a rake of rugby for such a young man, however big a fecker he is.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
A damn fine read, and by a lady writer none the less.

I would also rather read Gaggerlands own Angry Seahorses articles over that of Grumbles Growden rubbish any day.

Perhaps SMH should subcontract their Chief Rugby Correspondent duties to NY Times staff.

Grumbles is like Jeremy Clarkson, the 'subject matter' is just a vehicle (sic) for him to entertain. Except he's about as entertaining as anal warts.

If there was a place for serious rugby journalism in the Sydney Morning Herald, they would have hired some serious rugby writers years ago. Instead we have puff pieces where some clown goes up to Will Genia / Big Kev / Robbie Deans and asks then if they're feeling x about the next game (where x is some cliche from a list of cliches they've compiled) and when the victim looks confused and says 'yes', they go away and write about it as though the poor sod has volunteered the information.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
If there was a place for serious rugby journalism in the Sydney Morning Herald, they would have hired some serious rugby writers years ago.

The SMH has excellent writers in both Paul Cully and Georgina Robinson on their rugby desk, why doesn't it use them to put pressure on Grumbles to lift this game?

mudskipper

Colin Windon (37)
Back to the game... I was very critical of Genia last week after the scotland match but he had a great game aginst Wales and was back to his impressive play; back on deck sharp and focussed... lets hope we see more of this form this test season... well done Will...

Status
Not open for further replies.