• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallabies Watch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
he had one more year on his AFL contract, so he walked away from a certain $1.2 or $1.5, whatever it was. he took a circa 40% pay cut to come to rugby.

stevotop

Frank Row (1)
So we have

1 Robbo
2 Moore
3 Palmer or Slipper
4 Douglas
5 Horwill
6 Mowen or MMM
7 Smith
8 Palu
9 Genia
10 Cooper
11 Ioane
12 Lilo or Taps
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Folau
15 JOC (James O'Connor)

16 TPN
17 Alexander
18 Palmer or Slipper
19 MMM or Mowen
20 Gill or Hooper
21 White
22 Lilo or Taps
23 Mogg

For me, not many question marks.

I like the look of that team, my main reservation would be having two non-kickers in Ioane and Folau on the wings. JO'C can kick, but hasn't got the boot of Mogg. I was leaning towards having Mogg at 15, JO'C on the bench and Shipperley (yes, Reds homer but I like his size and how he plays the game) at 14.
I'd pick Mowen at 6 and McMeniman on the bench. Felt bad leaving Higginbotham out, especially given how well he jumps at 2. If Palu is injured, I'd pick Mowen and Higginbotham at 8 and 6, McMeniman stays on the bench.
Folau is definitely there or thereabouts.
Solid team.

Pete King

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Good team there, id also pick mogg at the back too and the wing spot to JOC (James O'Connor) ahead of folau only because he is our best goal kicking option in that team. I favour MMM over Mowen but I see benefits of Mowen for line out. The
Underlying and most telling question is if picked what Quade cooper shows up

T

Train Without a Station

This is going to ruffle some feathers, but having a back three who can't kick might be to our advantage.

I totally understand where you are coming from... However I say it's more likely having a back 3 who can't kick will come back to hurt us in a key moment after looking excellent for 75 minutes. Mogg's ability to make a line out on the 50 or in opposition half as opposed to 25-35m out is very beneficial. In addition he can run too.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
no way JOC (James O'Connor) doesn't start and i have no idea why anyone wants shipperly in the XV....he's the best winger in the country?? no chance.
from 6 onwards i like
6 Mowan
7 Gill
8 Palu
9 Genia
10 Lealiifano
11 JOC (James O'Connor)
12 Tapuai
13 AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14 Ioane
15 Mogg

bench
16 hooker
17 prop
18 prop
19 Hooper
20 Higgers
21 White
22 Cooper
23 Folau/Barnes/Tomane/ i have no idea.

i'd pull taps at some point if required and put cooper to ten and lilo to 12. and i'd pull palu after 60 and put higgers on at 6, moving mowen to 8.

there is a lot of depth at every position except 9 and 13 in the backline.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Paul Cully is on song until he mentions TPN and Alexander for jerseys 2 & 3.........

1. Fullback.

There were a handful of big movers at the weekend, none more so than Jesse Mogg. The Brumbies No.15 answered a few questions about his physicality with determined defence on his own line and lit up the game scooting through traffic. Israel Folau was tremendous against the Chiefs but there is always something that puts him in the risk bracket for Test elevation - on Friday it was his defence. He was furious with himself for letting Gareth Anscombe escape for a try. The No.14 jersey might be his best bet if he continues to progress.
2. No.12.

Christian Lealiifano was the form No.12 at the weekend, although his ability to switch roles with Matt To'omua against the Reds would have pleased the Wallabies, because they are looking at him for No.10. Ben Tapuai did not have his best game against the Brumbies but Rob Horne was solid. For all the criticism of Pat McCabe's play, he brought a directness that would have been noted in high places. This berth, which will be also affected by Robbie Deans' choices at No.10 and No.15, is more open than most.
3. Blindside breakaway.

Ben Mowen is the form No.6/No.8 in the country. His outstanding lineout attributes and leadership qualities make him perfect for the blindside position. Others were ahead of him in the queue last year, and Dave Dennis has been building into a season which this year also comes with the extra demands of captaincy. But Mowen's blindside dash from a first-half scrum against the Reds, coupled with his calm demeanour in the intense Suncorp cauldron - at odds with the verbal approach to the referee from certain players not even wearing the captain's armband - were two more ticks in an already impressive season.
4. Openside breakaway.

This position might not be that available, because when Deans sits down with George Smith this week, they won't be discussing the weather. But the compelling form of the three contenders - Smith, Liam Gill and Michael Hooper - at the weekend indicates selection will come down to game plans. Smith brings the most balanced combination between ball-carrying skills and physicality, although Gill has some of that in his locker too, with the Reds repeatedly using him as a lineout target - something that probably does not apply to Hooper. Yet the Waratah had his most influential game of the season against the Chiefs, and has that raw pace. Perhaps the tea leaves point to the Wallabies starting with Smith to weather the Lions' initial storm, with Hooper on the bench to lift the tempo in the final 20 to 30 minutes. It's a brutal three-Test series. All three are likely to be called upon at some stage.
5. Loose-head prop.

The Lions' Adam Jones is probably the most technically difficult tight-head prop in the world to handle. If the Wallabies throw in a No.1 against the Welshman who isn't primarily a scrummager, whatever fleet-footed back-line they assemble is unlikely to get the ball they want. Benn Robinson is still the best set-piece practitioner in Australia, even though his work rate around the paddock does not compare to leaner, newer models. Cast your mind back to Twickenham last year and the look on the much-trumpeted Dan Cole's face as he failed to get a cent out of the stocky Waratah at scrum time. The front-rowers who started that day - Robinson, Tatafu Polota-Nau and Ben Alexander - are probably still in possession of the Wallabies jerseys numbered one to three.
Cully's team of the week

Paul Cully selects the best players from the Australian sides
1. Benn Robinson (Waratahs)
2. Heath Tessman (Force)
3. Dan Palmer (Brumbies)
4. Kane Douglas (Waratahs)
5. Rob Simmons (Reds)
6. Liam Gill (Reds)
7. Michael Hooper (Waratahs)
8. Ben Mowen (Brumbies)
9. Will Genia (Reds)
10. Quade Cooper (Reds)
11. Digby Ioane (Reds)
12. Christian Lealiifano (Brumbies)
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Waratahs)
14. Israel Folau (Waratahs)
15. Jesse Mogg (Brumbies)

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
It's funny how he implies Mogg's defence is superior to Folau's, where according to the weekend stats Folau made 6 and missed 2, where Mogg made 3 and missed 4.

Yes his tackle on Anscombe was a bad miss, but he also made a big defensive play where he tackled Ngatai (from memory) into touch on the Tahs line.

For the record I don't think either are brilliant defenders, but I do think Folau is more physical.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
But Mogg is a more complete player...
Not necessarily, they have different skillsets. They both have deficiencies. I like both, and would have Mogg ahead as a 15 option, as I really think Folau might be more a wing option, but I really can't see how either is more complete.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
But Mogg is a more complete player...

A much better kicking game, obviously. Mogg is a deceptive runner who instinctively finds space and knows how to vary his speed and angles to maximise half-gaps. Folau has some of that, but is better once some contact is made. He shakes off a lot of tackles.

My feeling is that Mogg would be a good fullback option and Folau better on the wing, at least until he backs himself to kick more.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It's funny how he implies Mogg's defence is superior to Folau's, where according to the weekend stats Folau made 6 and missed 2, where Mogg made 3 and missed 4.

Yes his tackle on Anscombe was a bad miss, but he also made a big defensive play where he tackled Ngatai (from memory) into touch on the Tahs line.

For the record I don't think either are brilliant defenders, but I do think Folau is more physical.

I haven't watched a replay and those bloody yellow-on-white numbers were impossible to read at the ground, but Folau smashed one of the Chiefs' locks (I think). Bloke had a full head of steam, saw a back and thought he'd run over him but Folau was having none of it. One of the best moments of the game, I thought.

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
Mogg has a much better idea of what he's doing at 15, thanks a lot to Jake White's guidance.

I'd just hope that Robbie wouldn't fill him with warped ideas after so much good work a la Cooper

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

According rugbystats Mogg made 4 and missed 1........ and Folau made 6 and missed 1.........

Status
Not open for further replies.