• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
really? I thought he has been solid

He's going to be part of the Rugby Championship squad and is part of the playmaking group that met last Saturday afternoon.

What I was saying is that I don't think he's done anything to really boost his chances. He's still sitting in a group of players who won't all make the squad barring injuries. Working in his favour though is that none of the players he's competing with (Beale, JOC (James O'Connor) etc.) have done anything to boost theirs.

Of the backs on the cusp of the RWC squad, Rob Horne has probably done the most to push his chances so far.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
What I'm amazed about is that there are about 5 consecutive pages here of talk about RWC inside backs and Godwin hasn't been mentioned once!

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
At the world cup we want a genuine 10 with test experience at 10.

Beale has test experience, but isn't a genuine 10.
Lilo is arguably a genuine 10 but has no test experience at 10.
I'd rule those two out completely.

Which ever team wins the world cup will have a very composed no.10. Carter/Barrett for NZ, Sexton for Ireland, Farrell for England, etc.

Thankfully we have two quality no.10s with lots of test experience. Giteau is probably the next most qualified.

I wouldn't be surprised is Farrell's limitation as a 10 costs his team the world cup. Then again, he does suit their game plan very well. Unfortunately if plan A doesn't work, I'm not sure there is a plan B.

Lilo as a plan B is a pretty good plan B. There is also the option of moving To'omua to 10 and bringing in Gits to 12. That's also a pretty damn good plan B.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'd chuck Gill in there too. It's a shame Sio is injured because Slipper hasn't played that well either and is constantly going off.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Just watching the Reds game....

Slipper, Cooper, Simmons, and maybe Holmes are the only 4 Reds players that should be in contention for the RWC at this stage.
I wouldn't be in a rush for Simmons imo the legit was well beaten, he was beaten a number of times easily in defence most notably with the lazy effort for Whitelock to run away from him. His only feature that is essential is the lineout calling, and i think select another party and train them hard to do it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Simmons was ok although it was alarmingly how easily he fell off the Whitelock tackle, I don't think he's lazy or slow at least compared to Horwill who is just pathetic now.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We don't want to make the mistake of putting too much emphasis on super form, particularly for forwards. Fardy last year was a good example of this, as was Retallick for the All Blacks. Both had average super rugby seasons but then lifted after a game or two at test level.

Simmons will be on the plane.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
and to anyone singing the praises of Kerevi, please watch his defensive efforts vs the Crusaders ........

I think most people have been realistic about him, obviously loads of attacking potential but still very raw.. won't make the Wallabies this year but only a matter of when.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Well, interesting developments!

CAPE TOWN: ACT Brumbies coach Stephen Larkham will give Christian Lealiifano a chance to lock down the No.10 jersey as he weighs up whether to rush Matt To'omua to South Africa next week.
Lealiifano has taken on extra responsibility as the Brumbies' chief playmaker during To'omua's injury-forced absence over the past month.
While most expect To'omua to slot back into flyhalf if he joins the team in Johannesburg on Monday, Larkham is considering keeping Lealiifano in the pivot role and shifting To'omua to inside centre, a position he has played in for the Wallabies.
To'omua and Lealiifano are likely to battle for Australia's No.12 jersey for this year's World Cup.
"Christian's been itching to play No.10 for a number of years … he's been very good," Larkham said.
"He's taken his opportunities, he's liking controlling the play and I think he's improved his game each week.

Please, please, please.....

Status
Not open for further replies.