• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
You have to offer some support for nick stirzaker... has had a belter of a season and part of the rebels captaincy team. Really good milage on all his hit ups and furthermore very clean ball delivery. Thoughts?

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
Realistically, I'd pick Inman as the form 12 in Australia. I don't know if he's likely to be selected though. If To'omua struggles to return from injury, Inman's chances skyrocket because of his dominant defence.

To'omua doesn't play there in Super Rugby but I think is an almost certain starter at 12 for the Wallabies.

I think you can pretty much guarantee that Giteau will be involved in our Rugby Championship squad and if he's good enough he'll be right in the mix for RWC selections. 12 is definitely his premier position although I'm not sure he'll push ahead of To'omua. His defence is excellent but it isn't dominant and I think To'omua will stay ahead on that basis.

Beale is a likely member of the squad but in my view needs to have a strong finish to the season because his form this year hasn't been good enough. He's right in the mix with a few players like Leali'ifano, Giteau, Horne, JOC (James O'Connor) for the last couple of back spots for the RWC squad. Beale is realistically battling to be the first choice utility back bench option. I don't see him being in the mix for the starting 12 role at test level.

Inman is definetly a solid player too go with. Best defensively and has worked hard on his attack to add a little more versatility. The need for versatility imo is not that high, personally i like the rebels style of attack which is heavily relied upon the basic structure inman has to offer. few mistackles and ability to hit the line hard with high ball security has allowed others in the team to be there for the razzle dazzle. A team of champions doesnt make a champion team. you need the stability that inman has when we go north for the wetter colder games. he easily handled nonu and sbw in recent occasions.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Agree that it will be the forwards that have the most to do with it but just about every RWC winner has had a special player at 10.

Meh. Jonny Wilkinson was a special kicker, but only a solid fly half. Butch James is military medium. Cruden is obviously good, but his replacement in the 2011 final was named after a duck.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Inman is definetly a solid player too go with. Best defensively and has worked hard on his attack to add a little more versatility. The need for versatility imo is not that high, personally i like the rebels style of attack which is heavily relied upon the basic structure inman has to offer. few mistackles and ability to hit the line hard with high ball security has allowed others in the team to be there for the razzle dazzle. A team of champions doesnt make a champion team. you need the stability that inman has when we go north for the wetter colder games. he easily handled nonu and sbw in recent occasions.

The problem with playing that style in the RWC is that we'll be playing it against teams who are better at it, because they play it all the time, in those conditions. You can't win by playing to your opponents' strengths. You might pull off an occasional upset, but not a series of them.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Groucho said:
[quote uid=2012 name="Joe Blow" post=740285]Agree that it will be the forwards that have the most to do with it but just about every RWC winner has had a special player at 10.

Meh. Jonny Wilkinson was a special kicker, but only a solid fly half. Butch James is military medium. Cruden is obviously good, but his replacement in the 2011 final was named after a duck.[/quote]
Your kidding right.. Wilkinson was great at all things.. Only player who's been better is Carter... He could and has done it all

Sent from my D6503 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Of great concern to me is the kicking options for Australian Rugby. From hand only Debrozcini and White are reliable. Foley and Lilo have some great ones and some shockers. Mogg is a 50:50 kicker, gets ridiculous length of his kicks but puts so many out that shouldn't go out and vice versa he cannot be relied upon.

The we get to the kicking from the tee. There is not one test grade place kicker in Australia this year. Test matches can be won and lost on the balance of the kicking tee and there just isn't anyone reliable.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Unfortunately I think that kicking will be an even bigger issue for us than our scrum. We are really ordinary.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Of great concern to me is the kicking options for Australian Rugby. From hand only Debrozcini and White are reliable. Foley and Lilo have some great ones and some shockers. Mogg is a 50:50 kicker, gets ridiculous length of his kicks but puts so many out that shouldn't go out and vice versa he cannot be relied upon.

The we get to the kicking from the tee. There is not one test grade place kicker in Australia this year. Test matches can be won and lost on the balance of the kicking tee and there just isn't anyone reliable.

There's nothing for it, it's time to sack the kicking coach.......oh wait

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
For the life of me, I can't understand why the ARU hasn't found the best kicking coach int he AFL, or even just the best kicker, and offered them a paper bag full of charlie and a dozen hookers to teach our players how to kick a fucking ball.

We lose so many games because of an ability to kick tactically, WELL enough to outdo our opponents.

NZ kick the most of any international team ffs, yet would anyone call them boring?

Time for a coup d'etat. Vive le Walllabies!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)

Cooper's in game kicking is pretty good. The Reds have played a lot of territory in recent years.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I reckon Coleman's going to be on the plane for a lock spot.

He fronted up physically against Skelton last night, calls the line out (since Wykes's went), has great hands and plays tight.

Horwill's shot. Carter's ineffective. Timani's too short. Dennis is invisible in attack. Jones is 6 at test level.

I expect the last lock spot after Simmons and Skelton will come down to him, Carter and Arnold. But expect Coleman to get the nod.

choco7

Stan Wickham (3)
Cooper has barely played this season... I don't doubt his brilliance and ability to tear apart some of the greatest defensive teams in the world though you do need mins. What's supporting Quade most is his presence on last years spring tour. Against Ireland despite lack of time, he really did shake things up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
I reckon Coleman's going to be on the plane for a lock spot.

He fronted up physically against Skelton last night, calls the line out (since Wykes's went), has great hands and plays tight.

Horwill's shot. Carter's ineffective. Timani's too short. Dennis is invisible in attack. Jones is 6 at test level.

I expect the last lock spot after Simmons and Skelton will come down to him, Carter and Arnold. But expect Coleman to get the nod.

Looks like he was injured on the weekend. Any word on that?

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Think I saw him on crutches at the end. If fit, he is a big chance of touring for the RWC. ATM I'd have him in front of Arnold, who also has a lot of good points but tends to fall off tackles atm. Carter's strongest point is that he is currently a Wallaby squad member with some experience at test level. Hard to see him being left out.

If Jones is included as a standby No 6, (as he should) then the lock stocks will be strengthened as well.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Well, with To'omua being shifted to 12 this week, and Lealiifano retaining the 10 jersey, how does this affect the Wallaby squad?

To'omua was a lock in for 12, but Lealiifano was previously only considered as a backup 12. He's been doing a really good job the last few weeks at 10, and outplayed Foley by a fair bit in their match up, in a match where Beale was also awol.

With Cooper injured all year and having hardly played, unless he has a blinding last few weeks and tears up in TRC, surely Lealiifano is now the back up flyhalf?

If Cooper doesn't make it, that also leaves room for Giteau to come in as a backup 12.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Well, with To'omua being shifted to 12 this week, and Lealiifano retaining the 10 jersey, how does this affect the Wallaby squad?

To'omua was a lock in for 12, but Lealiifano was previously only considered as a backup 12. He's been doing a really good job the last few weeks at 10, and outplayed Foley by a fair bit in their match up, in a match where Beale was also awol.

With Cooper injured all year and having hardly played, unless he has a blinding last few weeks and tears up in TRC, surely Lealiifano is now the back up flyhalf?

If Cooper doesn't make it, that also leaves room for Giteau to come in as a backup 12.

WHAT!!! Lilo at 10 and Tooma at 12 for the Brumbies.. when did this happen???

Status
Not open for further replies.