• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Simmons was ok although it was alarmingly how easily he fell off the Whitelock tackle, I don't think he's lazy or slow at least compared to Horwill who is just pathetic now.

Yeah Qwerty, but you're really comparing him to a player who is well beyond his best and probably not a serious contender for the RWC squad. Rob needs to lift his game as his form since returning from injury hasn't been good. But that's not unusual.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Christian and Matt swapping roles? Dont think so. They might swap numbers but they share the 10/12 roles no matter what numbers they have.

Christian by himself has been excellent at 10 in the past two weeks. He outplayed both Sopoaga and Foley. Not bad form hey?

As far as 12 goes, Matt and Christian are the form 12s in the Aus conference. Matt at test level and Christian at Super level. Next imo is Inman.

I think the mid field and outside backs have to be hard as nails types especially in defense. My thinking therefore is To'omua to start at 12 and that Lealiifano, Inman, Horne, Kuridrani, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Speight are (or should be) the front runners otherwise. If JOC (James O'Connor) can regain some form (up til now he's shown nothing that should see him included in the RWC squad) he would be a better option for back up 15 than Beale. Joe Tomane is also in the mix, but I am concerned by his one-on-one tackling at times.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Or we lock To'omua and TK in the centres, and then look at our options at 10.

Ideally, we could get

Phipps
Cooper
To'omua
TK

With either of Lealiifano or Foley on the bench, but if Lealiifano keeps playing at 10 and keeps outplaying his rivals there, then surely he becomes an option at 10?

Phipps
Lealiifano
To'omua
TK

...is a hell of a midfield, being serviced by Phipps pass, with options like Folau, Speight, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) all running off it.

If we can get a decent pack together, with some big ball runners to get over the advantage line, that backline will tear it up.

I like Lealiifano at 10, because he combines all the best attributes from the other options, into one player, who has a good attitude, proven mental strength etc.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Foley's place kicking has been way below par this year, but everything else has him bar far the best 10 in Australia this year with Debrozcini second IMO. The only posters pushing Lilo and To'omua are Brumbies centric. I certainly hope however that either is selected before Beale who been very average (putting in nicely).

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't think anyone has been pushing To'omua for 10?

He's still by far our best option at 12..........

Dumbledore

Dick Tooth (41)
Foley's place kicking has been way below par this year, but everything else has him bar far the best 10 in Australia this year with Debrozcini second IMO. The only posters pushing Lilo and To'omua are Brumbies centric. I certainly hope however that either is selected before Beale who been very average (putting in nicely).

Nah. He has a few splashy plays (monster kicks etc.) but he really hasn't been that great. Very much a project player. His passing is incredibly ropey, struggles to lead a team around the park. He's getting there, clearly improving week to week, but he's been a way below what Lilo and To'omua have done.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Yeah Qwerty, but you're really comparing him to a player who is well beyond his best and probably not a serious contender for the RWC squad. Rob needs to lift his game as his form since returning from injury hasn't been good. But that's not unusual.

Well it's not like there's anyone pushing hard for his spot. Funnily enough Skelton is now the standout lock..

D

daz

And many thanks to Genia for promoting Stirzacker as the 2nd Wallaby scrummy option this weekend.

Phipps and Stirzy locked in, so that's one position we don't need to keep debating.

Next, Jordy Reid will be displacing Poey and Hooper.

;)

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) has put in a good game at 12 since he left the Force...

That was a long long time ago.

I don't think JOC (James O'Connor) has put in a really good game (in a sense that would elevate him to a default Wallaby pick) since he left Australia. I personally didn't see all of his games overseas, but people who did seem to say much the same thing: moments of brilliance is all he produced.

He certainly isn't the exceptional player he was before he left. A JOC (James O'Connor) highlights reel would consist almost entirely of Force, Rebels and Wallaby clips. Maybe he's still under an injury cloud.

But the fact is that only 31 players can go to the RWC. There's no space in such a small squad to pick people on promise, simply because they might come good based on past performances. It isn't a re-development tour. They have to come good before the squad is picked.

If JOC (James O'Connor) trains well then Cheika may give him a run in the RC. Then it's up to him to play well enough to demand a seat on the plane.

The same applies to Henry Speight and Kurtley Beale. If the X-factor players are only performing at B-grade then consistent players like Rob Horne and Lilo will be picked. We lose very little (if anything) by having those blokes anyway.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
And many thanks to Genia for promoting Stirzacker as the 2nd Wallaby scrummy option this weekend.

Phipps and Stirzy locked in, so that's one position we don't need to keep debating.

Next, Jordy Reid will be displacing Poey and Hooper.

;)

Stirzaker is easily the 2nd best halfback in Oz, and on form maybe the best. He's also the best fit to play the style of game the Wobs are likely to play. If he were starting for the Brumbies or Tahs then he'd be tearing up I reckon.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Stirzaker is easily the 2nd best halfback in Oz, and on form maybe the best. He's also the best fit to play the style of game the Wobs are likely to play. If he were starting for the Brumbies or Tahs then he'd be tearing up I reckon.
Stirzaker is playing well, and he may well be the most in-form number 9 in Oz.
But they're not a straight swap - they all play different styles and I wouldn't think he would necessarily swap straight into the Tahs per se. I don't know that his defensive game is as good as Phipps', for instance.
But he is having a great season.

Reactions: daz
D

daz

Agree cyclo. Case in point is Phipps himself. Average scrummy at the Rebels, but helped the Tahs to a title. It's all about suiting a gameplan and the team dynamic.

T

TOCC

Force performance against the Tags showed us what a good game plan and dogged determination can do against a superior side...

Talent is one thing but I think there is a lot to be said about players who can execute the coaches game plan and intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Force performance against the Tags showed us what a good game plan and dogged determination can do against a superior side.

Talent is one thing but I think there is a lot to be said about players who can execute the coaches game plan and intent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
They weren't superior tonight.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Foley wouldn't rank in the top 5 flyhalves in NZ this year. Foley's been average this year, particularly compared to last year. His kicking out of hand has improved, but his passing game and backline organisation, for me, aren't good. The fact that he's our easily been our best 10 is not a good thing.

Foley's strengths are his running - good acceleration and step and can be deceptively hard to tackle for a small man - and support. If you want a traditional half to run your backline right now, then Foley isn't your man.

Foley will be our man come the RWC, though. Foley seriously needs to lift his game, and soon, because if our forwards struggle over there, as is likely, our backs will need to save us and I just don't think we have any halves combos to put fear into opposition teams.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
This Tahs supporter was in Canberra for the Ponies/Tahs match and was very impressed with Leali'ifano's play wearing the 10 jumper. We could do worse than Christian wearing gold 10.

We could do worse but it's also unlikely that he will take us to the RWC final.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
We could do worse but it's also unlikely that he will take us to the RWC final.
The man with 10 on his back will have little to do with that. September's show is brought to us by the numbers 1-8. With good ball any of our candidates will do the job well enough.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
The man with 10 on his back will have little to do with that. September's show is brought to us by the numbers 1-8. With good ball any of our candidates will do the job well enough.

Agree that it will be the forwards that have the most to do with it but just about every RWC winner has had a special player at 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.