• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

They were last year.....

Ledesma has done great work with them this year, and with the cattle we have at the Wobs there's no recent why we shouldn't have a dominant lineout and a competitive scrum.

Incidentally the Tahs scrum success still sits at 85%(10th overall) the same as 2014, whilst the Rebels improved their scrum success from 87% in 2014 to 92%(ranked 3rd overall) in 2015. Maybe Zane Hilton should have been recruited as scrum coach instead.

Conversely the Rebels did have the worst lineout success in the competition though, which explains why they went after James Hanson who features the most accurate line-out throw out of the Australian hookers.

but i digress...

The addition of Sio, Holmes and Smith should boost Australia's scrum in 2015, the real shame is that PAE won't be featuring in Wallaby colours and could potentially be lost to Australia forever.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
1436620008359.jpg

Izzy readies the lube.

Beefcake

Bill Watson (15)
As for shelling out $370K for Douglas, again that is media speculation. The official line is that he has to find his own way out of the Leinster contract. Paying out for ANYONE would set a huge precedent for the ARU..despite our views that they aren't the sharpest tools in the shed, they aren't stupid and they know this. Pulver particularly.

Why must the wobs scrape the bottom barrel? Why? There is so much so talent within the ranks for this incessant need to sure up talent. Geez Louise.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Incidentally the Tahs scrum success still sits at 85%(10th overall) the same as 2014, whilst the Rebels improved their scrum success from 87% in 2014 to 92%(ranked 3rd overall) in 2015. Maybe Zane Hilton should have been recruited as scrum coach instead.

Conversely the Rebels did have the worst lineout success in the competition though, which explains why they went after James Hanson who features the most accurate line-out throw out of the Australian hookers.

but i digress.

The addition of Sio, Holmes and Smith should boost Australia's scrum in 2015, the real shame is that PAE won't be featuring in Wallaby colours and could potentially be lost to Australia forever.
Funny, with no stats to back it up, I thought the Tahs was much better this season

And how do they define "success"

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

T

TOCC

Funny, with no stats to back it up, I thought the Tahs was much better this season

And how do they define "success"

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

Yes I should have elaborated, that statistic for 'scrum success' is the percent at which the team wins the ball on its own feed.

I thought the Tah's scrum has held up better in 2015 as well, quite a few dominant scrums and less of the back peddling from 2014. For whatever reason that wasn't reflected in an improvement in winning their own ball..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joe Brian

Bob McCowan (2)
According to Fox Sports, Sekope Kepu was "The least penalised prop at scrum time during the 2015 regular season, Kepu gave away just three scrum penalties while forcing the most by a tight head (27). He made the most offloads (10) of any prop, had the equal second most tackle busts with 10 and missed just eight of his 87 tackles."

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The Rebels had the least penalised scrum of the Australian teams and Alexander the most penalised prop so having Sio and Smith as the second and third choice loose heads should improve things substantially.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
To me we have an excellant starting front row of Slipper, Moote and Keps. The difference this year is that the reserve props and hooker being Sio, TPN and Holmes are close to the standard of the starters.

It just means that at the pointy end of the game our scrum will not be inder the same pressure it has been over recent years.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I think it's pretty tough to stop a player from leaving if they don't want to stay. If the player's heart's not in it, why would you want them in the squad. Also it tends to reflect poorly on the club if they start holding players over a barrel.

If Douglas chucked a Jake White and just decided to return home tomorrow to play for an aussie side, would Leinster sue him? History would suggest it's unlikely

Jake paid to get out of his contract. Can't really see Kane doing the same for such a huge amount as reported. And would the Poms be inclined to let a potential test player (assuming it's a boy) out of their clutches so easily?;)

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Only two experienced competitive jumpers, in both of these teams.

I think we need three true jumpers in the starting side, and expect to use Skel on line outs you hope to be unopposed. Ultimately I suspect we need both Higgers and Fardy for the starting side. Alternatively you need to leave Skelton on the bench or in the stands.

Skelton made me eat my words this year as I did not rate him that highly after spring EOYT but played very strong for TAH's and added a lot of power play up the middle. At worst should be on the bench.

Gits vs Touma....with who ever misses out on the bench....very keen to see how Gits plays as was a quality player before he left our shores and has been playing well for Toulon....at least great potential player to bring on from the bench as can cover a few positions...

Mitchell apparently had a very good last season for Toulon so maybe he has improved since last in Test colours as was not a big fan.....again be good to see what he has to offer as AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) world class 13 but not world class winger - bench option perhaps best if Kudriana beats him for starting 13 spot.

Hope they can sort out Kane Douglas release as we are struggling in lock area....also good to see Greg Holmes back in the fold as played strongly for the reds in recent times

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Before he was maimed by Higginbum Mitchell was in superb form, he was quick and elusive.

If he can get back to anything like that, he'll be on one wing.

nick_

Allen Oxlade (6)
Question about the value of experience I have been thinking about of late, especially in regards to RWC squad...

Is there a great difference in experience between 30/50/70 caps or is it down to the individual player more often than not?

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
Question about the value of experience I have been thinking about of late, especially in regards to RWC squad.

Is there a great difference in experience between 30/50/70 caps or is it down to the individual player more often than not?

Definitely down to the individual player. Most players need time to mature, some mature very quickly, other take a long time. And rare players are already there.

It's not always the amount of caps but the quality of those caps.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Before he was maimed by Higginbum Mitchell was in superb form, he was quick and elusive.

If he can get back to anything like that, he'll be on one wing.
In fairness my memory of Mitchell a little scratchy so be good to see how he plays in upcoming four nations.......we have been a bit light on world class wingers in last year or so...so hope he is the goods personally....

Pretty good squad of 31 Cheika chosen...

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
In fairness my memory of Mitchell a little scratchy so be good to see how he plays in upcoming four nations...we have been a bit light on world class wingers in last year or so.so hope he is the goods personally..

Pretty good squad of 31 Cheika chosen.

I recall his form prior to the ankle injury being absolutely world-class. Would have easily been ahead of JOC (James O'Connor) and Digby for a wing spot. He struggled to get back to that form post recovery - which is fair enough given the extent of the injury.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Yes I should have elaborated, that statistic for 'scrum success' is the percent at which the team wins the ball on its own feed.

I thought the Tah's scrum has held up better in 2015 as well, quite a few dominant scrums and less of the back peddling from 2014. For whatever reason that wasn't reflected in an improvement in winning their own ball..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would have thought that losing 15% of your own tight heads wasn't really something to boast about. Are there stats on winning AGAINST the feed?

My impression is that all Aussie scrums have lifted in 2015, much more willingness to hold the ball in the scrum. But my impression is also that the Tahs were on the weaker end of the Aussie scrums. Reds have been impressive.

A big part of how I see the Tah scrum is Skeltons ability. Better than last year, but no way a finished product. I still see him as a risk in the set piece. But like others, I have come around in terms of what he provides around the park. He'd be in my starting line. Even though I think it's a risk.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would have thought that losing 15% of your own tight heads wasn't really something to boast about. Are there stats on winning AGAINST the feed?

My impression is that all Aussie scrums have lifted in 2015, much more willingness to hold the ball in the scrum. But my impression is also that the Tahs were on the weaker end of the Aussie scrums. Reds have been impressive.

A big part of how I see the Tah scrum is Skeltons ability. Better than last year, but no way a finished product. I still see him as a risk in the set piece. But like others, I have come around in terms of what he provides around the park. He'd be in my starting line. Even though I think it's a risk.

I think it'll be OK if we surround him with enough of the tight forwards from the packs where the set piece has been excellent, namely the Reds and Brumbies. Slipper, Moore and Simmons at the very least and possibly even Holmes could be starting. I'm comfortable with that.

Status
Not open for further replies.