• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is it possible to bring in a new player for Palu if he only has a minor injury that is likely to clear up before the end of the tournament? (i.e. does it categorically have to be a tournament ending injury?)

They have to get medical sign off I believe but I can't see how they can deny a team looking to withdraw someone who has an injury.

I can't imagine they would suggest to a team that it needs to be a 6 week injury because they might have been healthy by the final.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I was going to scoff at the PLu hand wringing but see that it is a knee injury requiring surgery. Can someone confirm what this means (out for the whole RWC?)

McM out too.

Not the injury run of say Wales, but still annoying.

Where did you hear this? All the reports I've seen is that Palu is recovering from a lingering hamstring issue.

Can't find anything about McCalman or McMahon or whoever you're referring to. What is it?

I might add that Ita Vaea would be a decent replacement is needed. He was a part of the initial Wallabies training camp and he's been playing very well down in the NRC.

Different kind of no.8 to Palu but probably offers more impact these days.

Vaea's problem at this stage is that he is not a lineout option at all and he got outplayed by Palu in their matchups this season. Barring a couple of games where he played very well against good teams (qualifying final against the Stormers), he has been a bit of a flat track bully. I think he'll play for the Wallabies next year, but it was too soon this year.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
They have to get medical sign off I believe but I can't see how they can deny a team looking to withdraw someone who has an injury.

I can't imagine they would suggest to a team that it needs to be a 6 week injury because they might have been healthy by the final.

I thought it had to be at least a 2 week injury for them to be replaced and that would be determined by the RWC medical advisor.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
looks like I've been leaping at shadows, sorry for the mis-direction. Can't find the report I read this morning so no doubt old or something. Seemed strange at the time hence why I was looking for confirmation.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Is it possible to bring in a new player for Palu if he only has a minor injury that is likely to clear up before the end of the tournament? (i.e. does it categorically have to be a tournament ending injury?)

No, it only has to be a real injury, and the medical adjudicator will err on the side of player safety.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
I thought it had to be at least a 2 week injury for them to be replaced and that would be determined by the RWC medical advisor.

Nah, that's just a rumour started during the two-hooker bunfight.

I'm reasonably sure of this. I was writing a technical article for the blog about quantifiying risk (specifically the risk of taking two hookers and halfbacks) and spoke off the record with someone, but World Rugby won't comment on any of these matters officially, no matter how much I wave an imaginary G&GR virtual press pass at them. Bloody Irish.

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
Its still a long way off, and players will change with retirement/injury/improvement etc, but this thread will allow considered opinion over time of the optimum 23 players to give us the best chance in the RWC.
So for starters, here is my early selection, remembering we are 2 years away:

Slipper
Moore
Kepu
Skelton
Simmons
McMenniman
Pocock
Higginsbotham
Ginea
Cooper
Spleigh
To'omua
Feauai-Sautia
JOC (James O'Connor)
Folau

Bench
Tatafu Polota Nau
Robinson
Ryan
Horwell
Hooper
Beale
Godwin
Cummins

Well I started this thread on 18th Nov 2013, little realizing that it would amass 285,416 views and 7,346 replies. Nice going all.
The RWC is now here, and more up-to-date threads have succeeded this one, which has not been posted to since 17th September, thus allowing it to go the way of other old soldiers.
But I have had fun reading the opinions of the rugby on-line gurus, and the not so guru.
When the 23 players are selected for the final game for the Wallabies in this RWC, and hopefully it is the final, I will insert my final post of those 23 players, alongside my original 23 in November 2013, to show how the times they are a-changing

saulityvi

Syd Malcolm (24)
Well I started this thread on 18th Nov 2013, little realizing that it would amass 285,416 views and 7,346 replies. Nice going all.
The RWC is now here, and more up-to-date threads have succeeded this one, which has not been posted to since 17th September, thus allowing it to go the way of other old soldiers.
But I have had fun reading the opinions of the rugby on-line gurus, and the not so guru.
When the 23 players are selected for the final game for the Wallabies in this RWC, and hopefully it is the final, I will insert my final post of those 23 players, alongside my original 23 in November 2013, to show how the times they are a-changing
There are only gurus online

T

TOCC

Greg Holmes to make a late charge, 7 years between test caps would surely be some kind of record

sometimes when you talk enough shit you occasionally hit the mark.. ignore all my other crazy selections and comments from 2013/14.. Fortunately i wasn't one of those pushing for Mogg over Folau at fullback o_O

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
My effort from Jan 13, 2014. Only selected the forwards, not bad..

1. James Slipper
2. Stephen Moore
3. Sekope Kepu
4. James Horwill
5. Will Skelton
6. Scott Higginbotham
7. David Pocock
8. Wycliff Palu

16. Polota-Nau
17. Scott Sio
18. Paddy Ryan
19. Rob Simmons
20. Scott Fardy
21. Michael Hooper

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Looking back, I can't believe there were posters selecting MMM in late 2013/early 2014 based on his form and fragility.........

My first effort from January 2014.......

1. Slipper/Robinson
2. Moore
3. Kepu/Palmer (only if he returns/form etc)
4. Simmons
5. Horwill
6. Fardy
7. Pocock/Hooper
8. Palu/Higgers
9. Genia
10. Cooper
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)/Cummins
12. To'omua
13. Kuridrani/AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Speight
15. Folau

Dan Palmer? :oops:

the sabanator

Ron Walden (29)
After watching Palu tonight, I really question why we took him and not a third hooker. Looked totally pedestrian and about 2 years past it. Hasn't had a decent test in donkeys. With Pocock playing at 8 and McCalman, Fardy and McMahon presumably cover he really is overkill.

Irrelevant now really, but still don't like the decision.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
After watching Palu tonight, I really question why we took him and not a third hooker. Looked totally pedestrian and about 2 years past it. Hasn't had a decent test in donkeys. With Pocock playing at 8 and McCalman, Fardy and McMahon presumably cover he really is overkill.

Irrelevant now really, but still don't like the decision.

Well, he may well be gone now with the hammy gone again. Maybe a hooker will come in.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I assume we'll make 2 squad changes before the England match although none will be relevant to the England match.

Hanson for Palu.
Carter for Skelton.

Status
Not open for further replies.