• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Personally I would have gone for Jones, especially since workrate with impact seems to be king. Barring that I just can't understand the selection of Carter in front of Horwill. Carter was pretty poor in the tests he has played and I wasn't that impressed with the Brumbies. Afer he got his behaviour back on track Horwill was the better of the two.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind the selection, not that I expect either Carter or Hanson to feature unless further injuries strike.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Personally I would have gone for Jones, especially since workrate with impact seems to be king. Barring that I just can't understand the selection of Carter in front of Horwill. Carter was pretty poor in the tests he has played and I wasn't that impressed with the Brumbies. Afer he got his behaviour back on track Horwill was the better of the two.

I wonder what the reasoning is behind the selection, not that I expect either Carter or Hanson to feature unless further injuries strike.

I think the workrate they want is about cleanouts and pushing and stuff; and as it is with Douglas, that stuff isn't appreciated enough

My impression is that Horwill is being considered in the pecking order behind Symonds & Mumm as the "mobile lineout unit"

emuarse

Desmond Connor (43)
With the possibility of 5 tests on a weekly basis at high level of intensity, I can unfortunately see more tournament ending injuries. Up to 3 or 4 minimum. So replacements for the squad need to be on standby.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Huh? Carter made the squad ahead of Horwill yet people still complained that Douglas was taking Horwill's spot. Skelton gets injured and yet again people believe Horwill would be the one getting called up. It just goes against logic and makes no sense. Carter played in the USA game ffs

As for mentioning Jones.. Wow. This debate was put to bed months ago..

T

TOCC

Carter should be thankful of his injury and game time, if he had of maintained the form he was displaying in first half of the super rugby season he wouldn't be in the Wallabies squad. He has been selected on performances from 2014.

I dont agree with that, but we shouldn't be surprised since Douglas was also selected on the same grounds.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)

Thinker

Darby Loudon (17)
If Horwill's perceived lack of ability to run a lineout was a liability for selection a month ago, it must now be terminal given Mumm's proven inability to run a lineout.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I can't understand the Carter's pick. Big Kev deserves the spot

I think this is the biggest furphy to the debate. I don't think the coach considers who deserves the spot at all.

They are quite correctly picking the players that they think provides them with the best squad. The public also aren't privy to exactly the reasons why they have picked someone and why they haven't picked someone else.

Clearly Cheika could be wrong and Horwill could be a better pick than Carter. We'll probably never know. It doesn't really matter who theoretically deserves to be selected more.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Further to that Carter is there as the 4th lock. From this point on it will the A team plus reserves. Being that Cheika seems to like having 2 locks on the bench in big games he will probably get some time.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
We don't have the locks to finish with the McPooper. We would need some serious bruisers. Mumm and Carter on the bench.
McMahon will be there to spell Hooper or Pocock or replace one if injured. You can't have 3 in the 23.
Poido seems to think its possible but has Hooper finishing out the game in the centres:(

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
We don't have the locks to finish with the McPooper. We would need some serious bruisers. Mumm and Carter on the bench.
McMahon will be there to spell Hooper or Pocock or replace one if injured. You can't have 3 in the 23.
Poido seems to think its possible but has Hooper finishing out the game in the centres:(
We will still finish with mcpooper IMO - McCalman supplying the mc.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
It's just that there is no need for the two complete teams now that the first 2 pool games are done and dusted. The common school of thought was that Hanson would be called up after these games to replace the first injury that wasn't a prop or a halfback.

The squad will now revert to the more conventional structure as injuries occur

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So Cheika is a genius?
Someone will know how many times we have sent players home mid RWC but I suppose he knew that Palu was crocked already (most thought it was a question of time)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
With no Skelton there is no need for a jumping back rower to cover for his deficiencies.

McMahon comes in and we finish with the McPooper
We still need three proper lineout options against any of the decent sides

Typos by SwiftKey, errors in tone by me

Status
Not open for further replies.