• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby 31 players for 2015 RWC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Well perhaps he should consider sticking around and fighting his way into the team?

It's not for his benefit that Australia would do this. It's for ours.

Our biggest problem in the future is player drain. Either we're going to combat that or we're not. This would be one player at least partially secured.

I'm amazed to see so many rugby supporters turn their nose up at it, because they think there might be some whiff of disrespect or overt professionalism in the players attitude. Fans who might tomorrow be lambasting the ARU for incompetence.

If he earns a spot this year, even if only for one game, then he must be picked.

djeff

Allen Oxlade (6)
My run on team:
1.Kepu
2. Moore
3. Slipper
4. Fardy
5. Simmons
6. Higgers
7. Pocock
8. McCalman
9. Phipps
10. To'omua
12. Giteau
13. Kurindrani
11. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper)
14. Cummins
15. Folau
Reserves
TPN
Alo-Emile
Skelton
Timani/Jones (Can't pick between)
Palu
Hooper
Speight
Lilo

Any reason you switched Slipper to THP and Kepu to LHP? Or are the dark arts not your strongest suite?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
If he earns a spot this year, even if only for one game, then he must be picked.

Absolutely, but he also has to want it.

Someone mentioned that not many people could have scored that try. Could he and others have scored the one Drew Mitchell did in the European cup final?
Maybe, maybe not.
He(Naiyo) could also prove to be a real defensive liability and be targeted in test rugby.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
It's not for his benefit that Australia would do this. It's for ours.

Our biggest problem in the future is player drain. Either we're going to combat that or we're not. This would be one player at least partially secured.

I'm amazed to see so many rugby supporters turn their nose up at it, because they think there might be some whiff of disrespect or overt professionalism in the players attitude. Fans who might tomorrow be lambasting the ARU for incompetence.

Not from me, I've been for professionalism (from the rugby unions and the players) from the very beginning. The bloke has a choice to make: does he want to play for Australia or not? If he does, I would have thought he'd stick around and compete for a spot. He's not a superstar yet, so I don't know that we have to go out of our way to try and keep him. With that said if his form earns him a cap during the test season then I've got no problem with it. It'd just be disappointing that he could play one game for the Wallabies and then bugger off overseas anyway -- as Glasgow think is going to happen. I don't know how we benefit from that.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I would also say that I don't really rate him as a player -- yet. I still think he's got a long way to go before I would consider him to be of the calibre of a few other blokes already playing test footy. He could be like Big Will and progress well, but odds are that we aren't going to find out in Super Rugby.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
Not really? What other wingers would've scored the last 2 tries he did. He was marked and the defenders had plenty of time to tackle him but couldn't. Only other players who can do that atm are Savea and Nadolo.

Taqele is one of a kind, he would be the only 120 kgs winger at the team (I'm talking after WC), that makes it different. Europeans laugh at our tight-five, it would be interesting to put a terrifying monster at the wing to feel some fear occasionally. They feel much admiration for Pacific Islander genetic, as it is something they lack.

And the comparisons to Lomu, Nadolo and Savea are ridiculous.... those guys are way way more skilful, rounded players...

Nadolo at the same level than Lomu and Savea??? :D

Nadolo is thousands of kilometers away from Lomu and Savea who are top class. In fact, I think Taqele is very close to Nadolo. They are very similar, both are giants of 120 kg without many other skills that run and break tackles.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Taqele is one of a kind, he would be the only 120 kgs winger at the team (I'm talking after WC), that makes it different. Europeans laugh at our tight-five, it would be interesting to put a terrifying monster at the wing to feel some fear occasionally. They feel much admiration for Pacific Islander genetic, as it is something they lack.

Nadolo at the same level than Lomu and Savea??? :D

Nadolo is thousands of kilometers away from Lomu and Savea who are top class. In fact, I think Taqele is very close to Nadolo. They are very similar, both are giants of 120 kg without many other skills that run and break tackles.

• There were more players of Pacific Island heritage than there were of Scottish Heritage in the 2013 British and Irish Lions touring squad.
  • There are over 180 players of Pacific Island heritage (just Samoa, Fiji, and Tonga) playing Tier 1 Domestic Rugby in Europe.
  • There are French clubs that literally have academies in Fiji.
  • Montpellier alone has more players of PI heritage in their squad than the 2011 Wallabies RWC squad did.
  • Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola, Manu Tuilagi, Semesa Rokoduguni,
    Talupe Faletau, Noa Nakaitaci, Uini Atonio, Romain Taofifenua and Jocelino Suta all represented England/Wales/France over the last 12 months.
  • Nadolo has become a well-rounded footballer in a way that Lomu never was. You're either not watching the Crusaders games, didn't watch him drawing defenders and throwing 20m bullet passes directly in front of his outside men against the Reds, or just don't care to do either.
  • The entire concept of Taqele and Nadolo being "very close" as footballers or that Nadolo is just a bosh merchant is so farcical that I don't even know why I bothered responding to this post.
The only Northern Hemisphere nations without a significant PI contingent right now are Ireland and Scotland (arguably Wales due to Talupe being a lone wolf - but also incredibly important to their squad). Your comments about Nadolo are complete rubbish.

Marcelo

Ken Catchpole (46)
  • There were more players of Pacific Island heritage than there were of Scottish Heritage in the 2013 British and Irish Lions touring squad.
  • There are over 180 players of Pacific Island heritage (just Samoa, Fiji, and Tonga) playing Tier 1 Domestic Rugby in Europe.
  • There are French clubs that literally have academies in Fiji.
  • Montpellier alone has more players of PI heritage in their squad than the 2011 Wallabies RWC squad did.
  • Billy Vunipola, Mako Vunipola, Manu Tuilagi, Semesa Rokoduguni,
    Talupe Faletau, Noa Nakaitaci, Uini Atonio, Romain Taofifenua and Jocelino Suta all represented England/Wales/France over the last 12 months.
  • Nadolo has become a well-rounded footballer in a way that Lomu never was. You're either not watching the Crusaders games, didn't watch him drawing defenders and throwing 20m bullet passes directly in front of his outside men against the Reds, or just don't care to do either.
  • The entire concept of Taqele and Nadolo being "very close" as footballers or that Nadolo is just a bosh merchant is so farcical that I don't even know why I bothered responding to this post.
The only Northern Hemisphere nations without a significant PI contingent right now are Ireland and Scotland (arguably Wales due to Talupe being a lone wolf - but also incredibly important to their squad). Your comments about Nadolo are complete rubbish.

1- The best PI's players are playing for NZ or Australia, few top class PI's players are playing for Europeans National teams: Faletau, Vunipola and Tuilagi.

2- Rokoduguni, Romain Taofifenua and all the rest are second-tier players. Uini Atonio couldn't even play at Super Rugby level, just for that Taqele is better than him.

3- Most of the them go to Europe to retire as Rokococko, can't play for national teams

4- Reds this year are a real mess under the command of Captain RG, last year too. So performances against Reds is not the best parameter ATM

5- I have seen many Nadolo's games and really don't see him like an utility back as you describe. He can't play at fullback, he can kick to the Posts OK. I remember a kick from him in France playing for Fiji, that doesn't make him an utility back. I never pick Nadolo at the centre over Kuridrani, Nonu, SBW, JDV or any top class centre

6- Crusaders lack depth at the backline this season. It's one of the worst Saders seasons that I can remember. Colin Slade at 11WTF??, they need some top class backs. Izzy Dagg is a shadow of what he was a few years ago. Carter is also declining and is criticized by the Kiwis themselves. Their backline is only better than the Blues backline at the NZ conference

Chris McCracken

Jim Clark (26)
I think people are over stating the significance of TPN's recent concussion.

Including himself, apparently.

"At the end of the day it will come down to taking those right precautions, because if I do, for instance, get another head knock, then I will probably have to consider either taking a long stint off or even hanging up the boots," Polota-Nau said on Monday.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Yes I read that article. The bloke is clearly taking the head knocks seriously. But there is no suggestion he's not currently fit, or that wont be available for the world cup .

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I would also say that I don't really rate him as a player -- yet. I still think he's got a long way to go before I would consider him to be of the calibre of a few other blokes already playing test footy. He could be like Big Will and progress well, but odds are that we aren't going to find out in Super Rugby.

Are you saying we will find out in a lesser comp in the NH? Or that he will only prove himself at test level.

If the former, I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more.

I am also minded of the criticisms of Jonah Lomu even at the height of his game, that he couldn't turn around to chase a kick in behind, and that he was often found out of position in defensive play. Sounds familiar doesn't it? And Jonah sure contributed to a lot more test wins than losses.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Anyway Nadolo should be up against Taqele this weekend. Once people see him outplay Nadolo maybe that will change their minds.

Blackers13

Syd Malcolm (24)
I'm going to throw in Steven Mafi as a roughie for RWC squad selection. He's agile, abrasive and most importantly has 6 years experience playing Heineken Cup in UK conditions.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
I am also minded of the criticisms of Jonah Lomu even at the height of his game, that he couldn't turn around to chase a kick in behind, and that he was often found out of position in defensive play. Sounds familiar doesn't it? And Jonah sure contributed to a lot more test wins than losses.

Too bad for Taqele that he already had his run against pretty much the only 85kg center still playing professional rugby. Jonah sort of had a career full of them, playing for the best team in the world. No player will ever have that kind of physical dominance at test level ever again thanks to modern S&C coupled with the professionalization of the game in the current era - 120kgs or not.

Anyway Nadolo should be up against Taqele this weekend. Once people see him outplay Nadolo maybe that will change their minds.

Willing to bet your avatar on that one?

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Are you saying we will find out in a lesser comp in the NH? Or that he will only prove himself at test level.

If the former, I'm afraid I couldn't disagree more.

Re-reading what I wrote might have led to some confusion. What I meant was that he won't be playing Super Rugby, so we won't find out how good he is against our SH rivals playing up North.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Lomu could win test matches, a true legend, one of the best players I have ever seen

Nadolo is not in the same class

But Nadolo is streets ahead in terms of development when compared to Taqele

Status
Not open for further replies.