• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Value of currency isn't cost of living..
yes they are related but there are many other variables which come into play when measuring the cost of living.

I wasn't equating the two or comparing them, I was suggesting that cost of living may explain the disparity in their pay packets.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Timani is 10cm shorter and 17kg lighter according to their current profiles on their respective Super Rugby teams' website.

At 193cm you'd have to be exceptional to thrive as a test lock. When he was at the Tahs Palu was impressed by how strong he is and Palu usually wins the strength contests and boxing matches. So perhaps he can be exceptional.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think it's a bit like Scott Fardy. Timani is big enough to be a really good Super Rugby lock but probably unlikely to make the grade at test level.

His start to the season has certainly been superb. If he keeps it up, maybe he'll get a crack?

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
Noticed today that Adam Coleman has a similar problem getting his head properly into a scrum that Skelton had last year. He will need to address this just as Will seems to have done before he could seriously be considered a potential Wallaby.

Yeah. He looks a bit green but has a few things on his side.
He has the size, the strength and good lineup ability. He can be coached in scrum technique and to be able to utilize his size.
We really need to find a big bruiser to partner Simmons in the second row. Coleman could be the one.
Interesting to see how well the green Reds second row went after Horwill left the paddock on the weekend. The scrum was pretty good and they won the battle in the tight against a decent opposition pack.

Average Outside Center

Herbert Moran (7)
After watching the Waratahs for a few games Dave Dennis looks to be playing well making good hits and having a good work rate. Which is promising considering hes just coming back from rupturing his ACL

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Arnold is certainly playing better than Carter at the moment.

Dennis has been the best of the Tahs locks but Skelton has certainly gotten better at both scrum and lineout this season and is playing long minutes.

We need to see Simmons back on the park and Carter and Horwill playing better than they currently are.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
My view of the locks at this point is that Simmons and Carter are dicing for the TH side and Skelton is starting to look a lock for the LH side. Back up on the LH side could well be Arnold if he continues to improve. Luke Jones would be my extra one to cover lock/No 6 if needed.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Does anyone know which shoulder Simmons has injured, may have implications for which side of the scrum he plays.

Given hes now been out for nearly 5 months since it was injured, must be a long term worry.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
It's a nerve injury, so it could either settle or just keep flaring up. Bit like a hamstring (or syndemosis?). One of those things.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Won't affect which side he plays - Simmons plays TH and does a good job at scrum time there.

Add that to the list of things I never thought I'd type.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)

Godfrey

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Have to say that I have never really rated Dennis for higher honours but he's been very good this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he added to his caps at some point.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Have to say that I have never really rated Dennis for higher honours but he's been very good this year. I wouldn't be surprised if he added to his caps at some point.

Looks a contender for a bench spot based on versatility in positions played. If this is something that Wallaby coaches are looking at, he and Tamani have a good competition going as both are playing well.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
It really is vital that Simmons comes back and gets some good form again. It is a bit of a worry that he will be coming into a bit of a basket case with the Reds. It really seems to me at the moment that he, Carter and Skelton look likely as first 3 picked. I really like the look of Arnold though. I thought Horwill would come back, but apart from last week, he has not really shown a huge amount of improvement this year so far. He does have experience on his side, and we know his upside is considerable, but I have to agree it might be a bridge too far.
Guys like Jones, Coleman, Timani (but really looks a 6/8 to me) really have a chance to scream "pick me!!" though.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree that based on the first 5 rounds, the combo of Simo and Skelton would probably be my starting pairing in the Rugby Championship. We already know what simmons offers, but Skelton appears to be making good strides for the tahs. He's playing longer minutes and apparently contributing to a stronger tahs' scrum this season. He looks to be maturing as a player, and seem like less of a liability than he was in many aspects of the game early last season.

Theoretically those two should compliment each other very well.

After that Sam Carter is a pretty solid lock. I think Arnold may have been more consistent over the first 5 rounds but I'd have to look at all the stats to be sure. Carter might have out played him on the weekend. It's always tough to judge these things particularly when one player is a wallaby and the other is the flavor of the month - it would be great if someone could pull up all of the relevant stats to help us compare.

Still very early in the season. If we get to round 11-12 and Arnold is still standing out then we might see him get some game time in the RC.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Line out calling is why we need Simmons back most not to mention his work rate. Others are doing it for their sides but he is the most experienced. I now think Horwill is shot. Well his body is as it just doesn't give him the ability to play himself into form. I love the bloke but I think this is the hard reality. The real possibility to be the smokey selection is Arnold. He is ticking all the boxes across the suite of skills expected from a lock. Carter is also playing well but he and Simmons are to much alike for mine. Selecting both as a combination lacks balance. A Simmons Arnold combination would fit me thinks.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I agree that based on the first 5 rounds, the combo of Simo and Skelton would probably be my starting pairing in the Rugby Championship. We already know what simmons offers, but Skelton appears to be making good strides for the tahs.

I know you're saying that your support for Simmo is based on his previous form, but strictly "based on the first 5 rounds" he simply can't be considered just yet as he hasn't played. I do agree that Skelton is looking good for the LH prop spot, and atm Carter would have to be the front runner for the TH spot. Let's wait to see how Rob comes back from his injury. If fit and in form, he will certainly be the competition to Carter for the TH spot.

Re Carter v Arnold, I am strongly of the view that Sam would be streets ahead of Rory on statistics. He hits so many rucks with effectiveness (as disclosed by Forcefield's Stats) and makes many more tackles. Most of his work seems to go unnoticed, and a couple of times has been attributed to Arnold, but Rory Arnold is certainly showing a good amount of potential as back up to Skelton for later in the year.

Next in line imo is Luke Jones.

Status
Not open for further replies.