• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wallaby Watch 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
The news today that Speight will be "rested" from the NRC seems to indicate that he'll be thrown straight into the test side upon eligibility.....

It wouldn't hurt for him to have a bit of a hit-out in the NRC, if he is healthy, surely?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Healthy v "Healthy"

Fit enough to play in a Final, or a Bledisloe? Yep, sure, no problem.

Fit to be able to play in a comparatively nothing match, with tests around the corner and a chance of re-aggravation of an injury? Probably wise to not play.

T

Train Without a Station

Considering he's coming back from a hamstring injury, which when weak can be easily re-injured, it probably could hurt him.

Considering the injuries in the squad already, good to see precautions being taken against individual cases where there is a risk.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Okay - I'm sick of all the depressing stuff that's been dominating the forums of recent.

So I'm going to focus on something equally arbitrary and pointless, but I will actually enjoy discussing. I'm curious to know who the best tackler would be in the Wallabies. Probably in close play I'd put forward James Slipper and maybe in broken play I'd suggest To'omua. I'd be curious to see who is the best at chasing someone down or cover tackles. Potentially Genia or Phipps, though that's because they constantly have to make such tackles.

Any thoughts?

Floggn'

Jimmy Flynn (14)
If
Okay - I'm sick of all the depressing stuff that's been dominating the forums of recent.
So I'm going to focus on something equally arbitrary and pointless, but I will actually enjoy discussing. I'm curious to know who the best tackler would be in the Wallabies. Probably in close play I'd put forward James Slipper and maybe in broken play I'd suggest To'omua. I'd be curious to see who is the best at chasing someone down or cover tackles. Potentially Genia or Phipps, though that's because they constantly have to make such tackles.

Any thoughts?

If Stats tell the truth then this will hurt some people on this forum but Rob Simmons is the best tackler in the Wallabies. His completion rate is the highest year in year out.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Yeah I can see that, good engine. Haven't really seen him put many dominating ones in, but I guess it'd be hard to get past his long levers

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
No argument.....Matt Hodgson......ball-carrier never too big.
At only 102kg rarely gets the dominant tackles but most always gets his man. Just what No 7s should do!

In 2014 has tackled at 92% efficiency in Super XV (leading tackler by heaps) and 100% in limited time with the Wallabies

Reliable cover tackler after runners have already beaten other Wallabies.

Also one of the quickest back to his feet after the initial tackle - either for the pilfer or the next tackle.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
No argument...Matt Hodgson..ball-carrier never too big.
At only 102kg rarely gets the dominant tackles but most always gets his man. Just what No 7s should do!

In 2014 has tackled at 92% efficiency in Super XV (leading tackler by heaps) and 100% in limited time with the Wallabies

Reliable cover tackler after runners have already beaten other Wallabies.

Also one of the quickest back to his feet after the initial tackle - either for the pilfer or the next tackle.
Not as quick as Hooper ;)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
If

If Stats tell the truth then this will hurt some people on this forum but Rob Simmons is the best tackler in the Wallabies. His completion rate is the highest year in year out.

Ahh stats, yep, he doesn't miss many, doesn't do many dominants either, he is big enough that he should be smashing units more often

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Ahh stats, yep, he doesn't miss many, doesn't do many dominants either, he is big enough that he should be smashing units more often
He's become pretty effective with the grass cutters, helping set up turnovers. He also send to be coping more concussions though so that may not last

T

Train Without a Station

Yes that's probably his biggest flaw.

He does make a lot of difficult (high chance of missing) tackles chasing players down on a break though.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not as quick as Hooper ;)

Your comment is arguable as Hodgson's early engagement (1st or 2nd to ruck) is much higher than Hooper's. Against Argentina - Hodgson 79% and Hooper 63%.

However, we were talking tackling so will limit my comments to the subject matter.

Hodgson's tackle effectiveness has been 100% in Tests but he's only had 40 minutes so far this year.

Hooper's tackle effectiveness has been a commendable 84% in the 9 Tests played so far this year. But the concerning efforts were in France 2 - 67% (5 missed tackles); NZ2 - 69% (4 missed tackles) and SA2 - 80% (5 missed tackles).

T

Train Without a Station

How many times has Hodgson chased down a winger who's shed 3 tackles and is at full pace?

Those kind of efforts really fuck with your stats.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yes that's probably his biggest flaw.

He does make a lot of difficult (high chance of missing) tackles chasing players down on a break though.

Simmons has certainly lifted his game in Tests in 2014 with a tackle efficiency of 90% in 9 Tests. But his work rate is very low - not making double figures in any Test. Average is ~7 tackles per Test.

Carter is close in tackle efficiency at 88% but when he's on he's on being top tackler in 2 Tests (F1:17 - 90% & SA2:22 - 100%) and double digits in another (AB3:11 - 85%). However, he's also gone missing in 2 Tests (0 & 2). Average is 8.6 tackles per Test.

In the Argentina Test Carter was much quicker to the contact/rucks (34 in 65 mins) with 85% early engagement (1st or 2nd); Simmons made more rucks (53 in 80 mins) but at lower early engagement (72%). Simmons only made 5 tackles in this Test vs Carter's 11.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
Your comment is arguable as Hodgson's early engagement (1st or 2nd to ruck) is much higher than Hooper's. Against Argentina - Hodgson 79% and Hooper 63%.

However, we were talking tackling so will limit my comments to the subject matter.

Hodgson's tackle effectiveness has been 100% in Tests but he's only had 40 minutes so far this year.

Hooper's tackle effectiveness has been a commendable 84% in the 9 Tests played so far this year. But the concerning efforts were in France 2 - 67% (5 missed tackles); NZ2 - 69% (4 missed tackles) and SA2 - 80% (5 missed tackles).
Sorry, I caught a big one.

T

Train Without a Station

Simmons work rate is not very low. It's comparable to most locks.

T

Train Without a Station

In the 20 minutes against Argentina at least twice.

At least twice? Guess I must have missed all these Argentinian line breaks.

I'll give you a hint champ. Talking up a single player from the Force will be taken with a massive grain of salt when your name is "force fan".

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
It will be interesting to see what Chek does with Simmons, carter and Horwill. He seems to like his locks belting it up with pace to get over the advantage line. Are we going to see these guys concentrate a bit more on attacking the line.

Tomikin

Simon Poidevin (60)
It will be interesting to see what Chek does with Simmons, carter and Horwill. He seems to like his locks belting it up with pace to get over the advantage line. Are we going to see these guys concentrate a bit more on attacking the line.
I think Chek will be good for them

Status
Not open for further replies.